I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 09:32:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Bob's Blog Saturday 5-23-09
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob's Blog Saturday 5-23-09  (Read 2419 times)
BobN

« on: May 23, 2009, 06:25:02 AM »

Bob Here

My wife would like to pose a question to all dialysis patients, and I’ll try not to get too technical here.

She wants to know if dialysis makes you soft-in-the-head.

Now, don’t get offended, she’s really only looking for some assurance that she didn’t consciously make a decision to marry a madman.

She’d like to say that, yes, his behavior was a little off-kilter when we first got married a couple of eons ago.

But it’s gotten ridiculous lately, so, hey, it must be those dialysis treatments, right?

And she’s thinking, please, please, please say that’s right.

This all came to the fore last weekend, when she made the brave decision to take me along on one of her shopping excursions.

We went into one of these high-class grocery stores. 

You know, the ones that set up on fancy fixtures, put a high polish on their floors, and charge you 20% more that you’d pay for the same product at Wal-Mart up the street?

Anyway, as part of the ambiance, the background music is top-notch, first-run stuff, not the stale old elevator-music they play in some older stores.

To her misfortune, the song they were playing when we first walked in was a real rocking dance song, the kind that makes you want to boogie right on the spot.

Well, never one to suppress such feelings, I proceeded to grab her and start dancing.

Right in front of everybody, in front of the store.

Before she really knew what was going on, I went through a series of dance steps and used my momentum to twirl her under my arm.

Then she got her wits about her and tried to stop, but I really had it going, and kept the dance in rhythm.

Finally, she had had enough, threw my arms away, stomped her feet, and yelled,

“STOP THAT YOU LUNATIC!!!”

Now, everyone was staring.  So, to make matters worse, I calmly walked up to her and said softly,

“How many times have I asked you not to make a scene in public?”

When I looked into her eyes just then, I saw me dead.

When I think about it, there may be something to this theory of dialysis causing crazy behavior.

I mean, after all, here we are, stuck in those chairs for an interminable amount of time.

I would think it’s only normal, that in our non-dialysis lives, we would want to break loose a little bit.

Do any of you feel that way?

It’s just the misfortune of the significant others in our lives that they occasionally have to be dragged along for the ride.

Now, you’d figure that while we’re actually on dialysis, our opportunities to mis-behave would be pretty limited, being confined to the chair and all.

But, leave it to me to continually try to get past that limitation.

In one of my old dialysis centers, the staff was all into getting into your head, always asking questions about your lifestyle, eating and drinking routines, personal habits, etc. etc.

Now I know that some of this is to be expected, but there were times when I was just not up for having those discussions.

So, I used to fake falling asleep in the middle of the conversation.

One time, the social worker was busting my chops on whether I was working too much, now that I was on dialysis and all.

I started my answer,”Well, you know, I like to keep up the pace by sustaining my lifestyle and making sure……………………………………..”

Closed my eyes, let my head fall back.

I could sense that she was a little stumped on what to do.

After a lengthy pause, she said softly, “Bob?...Bob, are you ok?”

I just continued with my fake nap.

Eventually, she got up and left.

So, I kept my eyes closed for a while, but I peeked a little bit, and the next time she was walking by, I suddenly opened my eyes, sat up and just continued on my original train of thought.

“…that I continue making progress both personally and professionally.”

She looked a little scared and just kept walking into the back room.

After a couple of more of these episodes, I wasn’t quite sure that she was buying it, but then I got a visit from the center’s Medical Director, looking concerned.

He said, “Have you ever been diagnosed with Narcolepsy?”

I just started laughing really hard, which I’m sure caused him to question my sanity as well.

Ah, we who are easily amused.

So, back to my wife’s question, that one, I think we can clearly say dialysis was the cause, but, if she’s analyzing the subject carefully, she’ll have to admit that my behavior was never all that “normal” to begin with.

I mean, she could just think back to our wedding day.

She came down with a really bad case of laryngitis the night before.

(Now, I don’t want to hear anything about her being sent a message, ok?)

Anyway, her voice was really scratchy, but we managed to get through the vows and kiss and all.

But right after that I said, “Now, can you do Brando?”

She just looked at me, blinked her eyes a few thousand times and scratched out,

“What?”

I said, “Can you say this for me?”

‘You have disgraced the Corleone family’

The minister laughed a little bit, but she just shook her head and rolled her eyes.

It was a sign of things to come.

And even worse from her perspective, it was well before I went on dialysis.

I’d like to hear from you all.  Has your behavior gotten worse since you went on dialysis? Stayed the same?

Heaven forbid…gotten better?

Thanks for reading.  I hope everyone has a good week of treatments.

Remember to stay active.  Take care.

www.bobnortham.com
Author of The ABC's of the Big D: My Life on Dialysis
Bob's Prescription for Living With Dialysis:
Follow Your Recommended Diet and Especially Watch Your Potassium, Phosphorous, and Fluid.
Stay Active - Find a Form of Exercise You Like and DO IT!!
Laugh Every Chance You Get.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 06:34:27 AM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Yup, it makes us loopy, but it's an individual thing, some go nuttier than others and it all depends (like so many other medical things) on your baseline at the start.

PS.  Please don't go sane and normal on us Bob.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 08:19:22 AM »

I see a slight problem with the theory.  I'm a bit, shall we say, off kilter, and I have never had dialysis.  Therefore I am forced to think that its kidney disease in general.  :)   Yeah, that's it, that's my story and I am sticking to it!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 10:15:34 AM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; Yes, chalk it all up to Kidney Disease. I blame everything on medication.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 10:25:10 AM »

Dialysis dementia!  That's it, that's why we're all nuts!

One of those few benefits that we do get from being sick - we have a chance to see that it really is the little, silly moments in life that are the important ones.

Personally, I'd have finished the dance with you!

:bandance;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 11:25:22 AM »

The hubby and I danced through the aisle of Walgreens Drugstore one night.  We were watched by the evening staff who thought we had lost out minds.  But it was a dancing song!  We were watched when we separated int he store to shop separately.  Heheheh!   

And Yes, Dialysis makes you nuts! After ten and a half years of this I am well qualified to make that statement!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
silverhead

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 06:12:44 PM »

Neither my Wife or my daughter will allow me to come with them to a Mall (do you really think I care?), anyway, they get real embarrassed when I start pointing out the insane clothing or hair-dos I see on the young crowd, the last time, several years ago, was when I pointed out a tender young gal with a large ring in her nose, and I said loudly, that looks just like the rings we used to put in the Hogs noses on the farm to keep them from rooting in the ground......
Now I get to stay at home and enjoy some quiet time.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 08:07:11 AM »

Keep writing Bob...I needed this laugh today....and remembered when George and I got married...courthouse with my youngest son and his friend as attendants..George was "certifiably" crazy...and his eyes had been supercharged sparkling all day..I was really nervous as to why and all you have to do is look at me and if in the mood I will drop to the floor laughing..so the day went and then the judge told me to put his ring on his finger, I lifted his hand and proceeded to slide the ring on his finger as I noticed a note on the finger..black marker...Place Ring on X...and I died laughing on his shoulder..everyone had been in on it..the judge finally said..are you certain you want to complete this ceremony to George and he said well, I have nothing better to do right now..and I still couldn't stand up.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
BobN

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 03:51:35 PM »

Great story, thanks G-Ma.

Glad to know I've got lots of company in the "nut-job" category, along with monrein, wenchie, silverhead, kitkatz, jbeany, Romona, and probably many others.

www.bobnortham.com
Author of The ABC's of the Big D: My Life on Dialysis
Bob's Prescription for Living With Dialysis:
Follow Your Recommended Diet and Especially Watch Your Potassium, Phosphorous, and Fluid.
Stay Active - Find a Form of Exercise You Like and DO IT!!
Laugh Every Chance You Get.
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 04:01:05 PM »

I think it's very similar to the lack of brain thing that happens when you're pregnant.  However, it's a damned good excuse for everything now.  I really CAN"T face cooking, cleaning, work ha ha.  Problem is, I was never that keen on those things before!

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 06:21:36 PM »

I can't blame hubby's behavior on dialysis treatments!!!  He's been the same way ever since I met him 26 years ago!!!  I never know what he is going to say or do. Sometimes I pretend I don't know him LOL!!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »