I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 03:31:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Mother's Helper: Mom gave Jasmin Harris life — she returned the favor
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mother's Helper: Mom gave Jasmin Harris life — she returned the favor  (Read 1235 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 10, 2009, 08:54:44 AM »

Mother's Helper: Mom gave Jasmin Harris life — she returned the favor

By KIM ARCHER World Staff Writer
Published: 5/10/2009  2:23 AM
Last Modified: 5/10/2009  3:21 AM

For information about organ donation, go to:

tulsaworld.com/lifeshare

tulsaworld.com/global-good

Jasmin Harris, 35, may be giving her mom the gift of life for Mother's Day, but Sonia Lebron jokes she still expects a gift and a Hallmark card.

On Thursday, both women underwent successful surgery in which surgeons took one of Harris' kidneys and transplanted it into her mother.

"It's the best gift I can ever imagine," said 59-year-old Lebron two days before the surgery.

Having taken early retirement from American Airlines because of her kidney failure, she said, "It's been a struggle, but I've been very fortunate."

For Harris, it's a no-brainer.

"It's been hard to watch her be limited on her life. I'm going to give back what she gave me: Life," she said.

Nearly five years ago, Lebron learned she has a little-known disease called Immunoglobulin A nephropathy or Berger's disease. The disease shut down her kidneys, requiring her to get dialysis three times a week.

"That was very traumatic. My body didn't adjust well," she said.

The change in diet and the sudden allergies to most everything took their toll on Lebron.

"I'm very fortunate because we have a very close-knit family," she said. "Something as simple as a Band-Aid
I was allergic to."

Lebron's three grown children and her husband, Anthony, did everything they could to make life easier for her.

"We kind of attacked it as a family," Harris said.

For three years, Lebron wasn't healthy enough to be placed on a transplant waiting list. But just more than a year ago, she made it onto the list. The family waited a year to see if a cadaver kidney might become available. Lebron didn't want any of her children to go through the pain of donating an organ.

"Finally, I made the call," Harris said. "I'm the oldest, so I went first." She consulted with her brother Anthony, 30, and sister Janeen, 28, and made the decision to be tested.

"Her odds are so much better because I'm a living donor," Harris said.

During Christmas week, the family found out Harris' kidneys were a perfect match.

"It was wonderful. They were going to give me back my life," Lebron said.

Lebron said she wants to encourage people to consider organ donation.

"It really does save lives," she said.

Just two days before the surgery, Lebron's husband said his job was to keep everyone's spirits light.

"That's what I've done for the five years she's been in this struggle," he said. "To be quite honest with you, I haven't absorbed it yet."

On Friday, Anthony Lebron reported the surgeries were successful.

"There's always little bumps in the road. But everything went as well as can be expected," he said.

Harris was recovering quickly, but her mother was having a more difficult time.

"She's feeling pain, but that's normal," he said.

Anthony Lebron spoke admiringly of the Davita SouthCrest Dialysis Unit, where his wife spent years getting dialysis.

"They take a personal interest in every patient," he said.

Even though dialysis is difficult, Anthony Lebron urged those going through similar circumstances to keep a positive attitude and never give up hope.

"The people who walk that with her, you're living it, too," he said of his family.

"Most people on dialysis lose their smile. They lose their joy. Sonia never stopped laughing."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090510_17_A1_Jasmin994212

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »