I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:23:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  2nd Call - It's a GO!!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2nd Call - It's a GO!!!!  (Read 17763 times)
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2009, 10:58:58 AM »

RG, I really hope they figure out what's going on and get it under control.  The changes in the Prograf is because they measure the levels of it in your blood and then adjust the amount you're taking so that the blood level falls within the correct range for anti-rejection without toxicity.  It's yet another of the many tightropes we must travel on.  I hope the biopsy is smooth sailing and helps to figure out the next step.
 :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
rookiegirl

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2009, 06:28:59 PM »

I'm concern and hope someone can answer some of my questions.  After I left the hospital last Tuesday, I've gained over 5lbs of weight.  I can really feel the weight gain.  I don't think it's because I'm eating too much.  I think it was the sodium bicarbonate fluid they gave at the hospital.  Yesterday I peed over 4,000 ml of fluids.  I would think this would get rid of the excess weight, but unfortunately I'm still carrying the 5lbs.  I don't understand what happened after the hospital visit that would cause me to gain weight?

Next question, I'm now down to 3 pills of Prednisone twice a day.  My face is still pretty round like a beach ball.  Should I expect to gain lots of weight do to steroids?  If so, how much?  What can I do to make sure I don't gain to much weight where it will damage the new kidney or increase my blood pressure?

Speaking of blood pressure.  My BP prior to transplant was excellent.  Post transplant, my BP is higher than what I'm use too.  Could this BP also damage my new kidney?  I keep asking the doctors about this and they don't seem too concern about my BP.

Also, I'm not a diabetic but I noticed since the transplant, my sugar levels are higher than normal.  Before the transplant my sugar level was 80.  While I was in the hospital after the transplant it increase to 130 to 150 where they kept giving me insulin shots?  Does this mean I'm now going to be a diabetic?  Now that I'm home, they are not concern about me checking my sugar levels.  I remember in the hospital they pricked my fingers so much that fingers where black and blue.

Is this normal for people that gets a transplant?

Sorry for all the questions.  I'm just concern.

Thanks,
Rookiegirl

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2009, 06:58:45 PM »

Hi Rookiegirl I'm 5 months post transplant and had much the same things happening as you , after my transplant i was 10 kilos over my weight before the transplant it was all the extra fluid they pump into you  but most people loose theres pretty quick not me i held on to it and had to take laxis a drug to help get rid of the fluid my Dr's told me prednisone can cause some people to keep the fluid on. 5 months on and i still have about 2 kilos extra on its probably not fluid now but weight i have had to really watch what i eat and once i could i had to get back into walking every day its a battle but i think I'm slowly winning it . I'm still on 10mg of prednisone aday and have a moon face.

Some of the drugs we on can cause us to become diabetics i was told 1 in 3 will develop it after a transplant , i had a glucose tolerance test last month and i am in the danger zone so its looking like i might be that 1 in 3 to get it . was told to loose weight and keep up the walking to try and stop it happening.
 My blood pressure was low after transplant but it became quite high so i ended up on a blood pressure med but after a ultrasound of the kidney it was discovered the artery from the kidney was narrow at one end so that was reason for the high blood pressure so i had ballooned wider a few weeks ago not sure how successful it was as my blood pressure is still bit high
hope this helps you a little take care :cuddle;

charee
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 07:01:54 PM by charee » Logged

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2009, 07:07:35 PM »

Rookie...
   Steroids cause both fluid retention and weight gain.  Fluid retention can cause higher BP.  Steroids also cause blood sugar to rise.  I just had steroid infusions and my sugar got as high as 485...and I hadn't eaten anything!  I freaked!....but 12 hours later it was down to about 145.
   As you taper off the steroids many of these issues will resolve.  My transplant surgeon said that the average transplant patient gains 20 lbs ofter transplant because they feel better and have less food restriction.  But then she asked...."Who wants to be average?"
  Keep up the walking, watch what you eat, your body is going through horrendous adjustments....take care of yourself.
  A biopsy on a transplanted kidney is NOTHING near as bad as a biopsy on a native kidney pain wise....wasn't for me anyway.  I little tenderness at the entry site for a day or two....thats it.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2009, 08:15:53 PM »

I'm sure I'm just reiterating what other's have said, but I'll say it anyway.  Gaining weight is normal and expected on high doses of Prednisone, but you can minimize the gain if you're careful.  I wasn't and now I'm paying the price.  Steroids redistribute the weight gain in weird places (neck, face, back, etc.)  Exercise (walking) and try to eat as good as you can (fruits, veggies, sugar free, etc.).  I was told it's best just to follow a diabetic's diet.

Also, the Prednisone can cause your BP to be a little higher, as well.  Watch it, but don't get excited about it because it will more than likely start to come down as your Prednisone comes down.  My transplant nephrologist changed my BP medication after transplant and I don't like it.  I told my regular neph on Thursday that I wanted him to change me back to Lotensin, because my BP's were excellent on that medication.  He said he wanted to wait to see if it comes down as my Prednisone drops.  It's not scary high, but a little high.  He's not worried.

Monrein is right about the Prograf.  That will change depending on the level.  I started at 4 and 4 (a.m. and p.m.), then I went to 4 and 3 and now I'm at 3 and 3.  My levels are at 8.1 pretty consistently, so I'll stay there until they notice some change in the level.

Also remember that the Prednisone will cause "roid rage".  Very emotional!  That will go away, as well.  Prednisone is a nasty little drug.  Miracle drug, but nasty.

:)

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
rookiegirl

« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2009, 10:37:38 AM »

Went to the transplant clinic this morning.  My numbers look good and I lost 5lbs since last Thursday.  Creatinine went from 3.4 to 2.3.  So, they postponed the biopsy until next Monday as scheduled.  Last week's numbers was not good due to my Prograf and they lowered it from 3 to 2 and the sodium bicarbonate they gave me at the hospital also contributed to my fluid gain.  I'm not a doctor and I already knew all this last Thursday which I mentioned to them.

I just don't want them to freak out each time this happens and want to do biopsy each time the numbers goes wrong.  You would think they would consider the possibilities.

I do have a question.  In my transplant clinic, I see only the Neph doctors.  Shouldn't there be a transplant surgeon there?  When I went to the hospital to have my catheter removed, I spoke to the transplant surgeon about some of my clinic visits and the doctor mentioned something about the Neph is really not the right person to answer some of my questions related to the transplant.  Who do you see at your transplant clinic?

2004-2nd biopsy
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2009, 10:53:12 AM »

I only see my nephs now.  I only saw the surgeon for the first couple of weeks and then again when the stent was removed.  Surgical issues are usually at the beginning and then it's the neph you want to follow meds and blood work results.

I would always want to know what changes in treatment will follow from any info gained through a biopsy.  If there is a clear change of direction that would occur, depending on what they find, then OK, but if it is just to KNOW what's going on but nothing would change then I see it as unnecessary risk.

So glad to hear your creatinine is dropping and that you've dodged the biopsy this time around.
 :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Wenchie58
Elite Member

« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2009, 11:20:19 AM »

At my regular clinic visits I see a Nurse Practitioner, every time.  If labs show anything abnormal...they bring in the neph or transplant surgeon or both.

I adore my NP...she is on top of everything and remembers details very well.  I feel that she is on top of things...and she drags those docs around by their ears when they play the power game.   :rofl;

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2009, 11:42:04 AM »

Since our transplant hospital is 2 hours away, we see our local neph every couple of months. We have a standing order for labs which are done once a month - the results sent to the transplant hospital and the local neph, with a copy also faxed to us. Right after Jenna's transplant we were handed over from Organ Transplant to nephrology at their hospital. The neph immediately wanted to start Jenna on prednisone, even though she was on a new steroid-free protocol. The transplant surgeon had a bit of a tussle with the nephs and we decided to stop seeing their neph, continued follow-ups with the surgeon in the Organ Transplant team, and that has worked fine for the last 2 years.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2009, 12:45:09 PM »

This was my experience.

I had one follow-up visit with my surgeon about 2 weeks post-op and that was the last time I saw him.  Right after discharge (Nov. 10th) I went to the transplant clinic every week for labs and every other week I stayed to see the post-transplant nephrologist.  Starting in March I went only once a month, had labs and saw the nephrologist.  This month (last Tues) I went for my labs but requested not to see the post-transplant nephrologist, as I had an appointment to see my regular neph. two days later for the first time since transplant.  They were totally fine with that.  They faxed over my recent labs to my nephrologist that day, along with other pertinent information and I was told I would come back to the transplant clinic once a year for labs and a visit, but otherwise would follow-up with my regular neph.  Now, originally my regular neph said he would see me about every 6 months, but now he wants to see me monthly while my Prednisone is reducing so that he can watch my BP, Prograf levels, etc.

Also, my stent was removed by a urologist not associated with my transplant at all.  They arranged it, but I'd never seen him before and will probably never see him again.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
rookiegirl

« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2009, 10:40:24 AM »

I HATE PREDNISONE!!!! I feel like I just want to eat all the time.  It seems I just can't get full.  What should I do to not over eat?  I'm afraid if I keep this up I will gain weight and cause other problems with my health.  So far, I've maintained my weight but for how long?Anyone experience this?

I'm currently taking 3 pills per day.  This Friday, I go down to 2 pills per day.

Yesterday on my clinic visit, I mentioned to the doctor and he really didn't give any suggestions except he said it's the steroids.  No dah!  The other bad news is that I will probably be on Prednisone forever because of my 81% PRA.  I can't wait to see my regular Neph in May so I can ask him for alternatives.  The funny thing is that the Nephs at the clinic works for my regular Neph.

2004-2nd biopsy
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2009, 10:48:14 AM »

Your appetite is going to be stimulated with prednisone, so If you need to eat more try walking more - if you can walk an hour every morning it would help.
 :grouphug;  :grouphug;  :grouphug;

rookiegirl

« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2009, 10:53:15 AM »

Your appetite is going to be stimulated with prednisone, so If you need to eat more try walking more - if you can walk an hour every morning it would help.

it's been 3 weeks since my transplant and I'm still having difficulty walking because I still have a lot of soreness and tenderness.  I try to walk around the house as much as I can tolerate, but the more I over do it, the more pain I get around my groan and drain site.  I guess I'm healing and recovering slower than others.  I limit going outside because of all the pollen.  I have allergy issues.

2004-2nd biopsy
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2009, 02:07:42 PM »

it's been 3 weeks since my transplant and I'm still having difficulty walking because I still have a lot of soreness and tenderness.  I try to walk around the house as much as I can tolerate, but the more I over do it, the more pain I get around my groan and drain site.  I guess I'm healing and recovering slower than others.  I limit going outside because of all the pollen.  I have allergy issues.

Sorry rookiegirl, I hope you heal soon. It's only been 3 weeks! I was thinking it had been a little longer. Give yourself time.  :cuddle;

Wenchie58
Elite Member

« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2009, 04:18:26 PM »

Rookiegirl....it's only been three weeks.  They will taper down the Pred and your appetite will come around.  And as you feel better you will move more....I know I did.  But I do feel your pain....I was on 7.5 mg of prednisone a day was eating well, exercising regularly and had actually started to lose some weight...then problems arose and they pumped me with 500 mgs of prednisone a day for a few days....welllll..let me tell ya...I could just take a couple of big ole slices of bread...slather on an inch of butter....wrap it all around the refrigerator and have me an everything sammich!!  It will come around!  God Bless.

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2009, 04:59:07 PM »

Don't rush things. It will all get better when they can reduce your prednisone. For now, just try to learn to deal with what you've been handed. I remember when I was on very high doses of prednisone my stomache puffed out immensely. I complained to my neph about this and her response was, "Well do some sit-ups." Such a BS sort of response because all the sit-ups in the world won't get rid of bloating caused by prednisone. It's not your fault your gaining weight, it's the prednisone. Just wait it out, things will get better.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
rookiegirl

« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2009, 11:46:02 AM »

This past Saturday & Sunday was a wonderful weekend for me.  I was actually out and about to see my youngest daughter perform at her high school talent show.  She played her piano.  Sunday, we attend my oldest daughter's UNC-Chapel Hill end of semester symphony concert.  What a beautiful warm weather.  I thank God for allowing me to attend this precious moment with my kids and my husband.  Even though at the end of the day I was very sore and tired, it was all worth it.  Below are pics of my girls and me.

Just wanted to share.

2004-2nd biopsy
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2009, 11:52:36 AM »

Rookiegirl, Your daughters are beautiful and it sounds like they are very talented.  I am so glad you had a great day.  I hope you got a lot of rest on Sunday.  And, thank you for sharing   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2009, 12:01:52 PM »

:2thumbsup; Beautiful photos!
Take care!

Wenchie58
Elite Member

« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2009, 06:51:56 PM »

Dont overdo.....but it sounds like a wonderful time.  Thanks for sharing!

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
rookiegirl

« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2009, 06:18:20 AM »

I have a QUESTION???

I'm having to take Sodium Bicarbonate 1 tablets 2x/day and Magnesium 1 tablets 2x/day due to my electrolytes.  I'm not sure what this really mean.  I tried to read about it more.  I'm not sure why this is a problem after post transplant.  Could it be my medications?  I hate having to take more pills.  What can I do naturally to make get my electrolytes back to normal?  I have never had this issue before.

NEED HELP!
RG
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 10:27:17 AM by rookiegirl » Logged

2004-2nd biopsy