I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 02:28:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  A Special Bond - Two Triathlon Athletes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Special Bond - Two Triathlon Athletes  (Read 1355 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: April 23, 2009, 01:52:36 PM »

A Special Bond

Posted by South Jersey News Online vwilliams@sjnewsco.com April 23, 2009 12:37PM

By Bob Shryock
bshryock@sjnewsco.com

Nick DeSantis competed in his first full marathon, Cape May to Sea Isle City, on March 29 and finished first, besting a field of 400 runners in record-breaking time. Pretty impressive stuff.

But that pales in comparison to Nick's biggest personal triumph this spring.

A week and a half later, on April 9, DeSantis, 24, donated a kidney to Jason Kilderry, 27, his close friend, athletic comrade, and former Rowan University cross-country teammate in a successful transplant at University of Pennsylvania Hospital. Both physically fit young men are progressing well since surgery and will run again, together, one day soon.

When Jason awoke after surgery, the first words he uttered to a nurse were, "How's Nick?"

"It's brought us even closer together. We're brothers now, through kidneys," Jason says.

"It's a good feeling," says DeSantis, "because already I can see how much Jason's life has improved. And I'd do it again."

Jason Kilderry earned hisciate's degree at Gloucester County College and transferred to Rowan, where he graduated in 2006 with a degree in exercise science and was on the cross-country team with Nick DeSantis. They quickly became good friends.

From the age of 14, Jason battled Polycystic Kidney Disease, a degenerative genetic condition which affected three other family members.

The Cherry Hill resident spent the last 18 months in and out of hospitals and on dialysis. He had both kidneys removed in a six-month span, the second in February 2009. He said he was "close to dying" in December.

The disease impacted Jason's overall health. When one of his kidneys began to bleed last summer, he was hospitalized for a month and the decision was made to remove a kidney. He was back in the hospital a few months later and nearly died from surgical complications. Then his second kidney failed. He went on dialysis 12 hours a week, and the desperate search for a new kidney began.

Extraordinarily, eight of Jason's friends were tested as possible matches. Only one, Nick DeSantis, was a match -- a clear-cut match at that.

"I was overwhelmed by that many agreeing to be tested," Jason says. "It was flattering that they were so willing. When Nick thought it through and decided to go ahead with the surgery, we slapped hands. We're a little goofy that way. I told Nick, 'I'll never be able to repay you.' It was a life-changing experience for him. It took him some time to think it through. But he found out he could do this."

Jason, Nick and four of their friends shared a summer home at the Jersey shore in 2008.

"By the end of summer it was apparent Jason needed a transplant," Nick says. "Until then, it never crossed my mind I could be the donor. But I got checked in September and found I was a perfect match. They give you an opportunity to back out of it. But I had made up my mind it was something I wanted to do. They just needed to do more extensive testing before I was approved.

"My decision was based on our friendship. Jason had two bad kidneys. I was born with two good ones."

Nick adds, "I had the support of family and friends right. As with any open surgery, you know there's a mild risk of death. But everything went well. And I'm getting close to going back to training."

Jason's background is in endurance sports as a competitive runner and triathlon athlete. He developed an interest in the demanding sport of triathlon at Rowan, became fascinated with training theory, and pursued his degree in exercise science.

A USAT Level 1certified coach and National Strength and Conditioning Association-certified personal trainer, he is owner of ETA Coach, focusing on the application of basic scientific principles of training. Many of Jason's students have run in scholastic championship events and national competition. Others work with him in preparation for their first 5Ks.

He also works part-time for the South Jersey Running Co., helping athletes choose proper footwear, athletic wear, and training procedures.

Nick, a Triton grad and Blackwood resident, earned a degree in chemical engineering from Rowan and after college worked as a process engineer at Sunoco until deciding he wanted to teach (chemistry, physics) in high school. He's been shopping for a full-time teaching position in South Jersey.

"I can't tell you how good I feel," Jason says. "Now I can get back to my life."

Jason yearns to return to racing and triathlons, hopeful of qualifying for Hawaii Ironman competition within two years.

And when it happens, part of Nick DeSantis competes with him.

______

A beef and beer fundraiser to assist Jason with medical expenses uncovered by insurance will be held Sunday, May 17, 2-6 p.m., at the Berlin VFW. Showing his unselfish nature, Jason has asked that 35 percent of the proceeds be donated to the Polycystic Kidney Disease Foundation. Some tickets remain. Call (856) 848-8155.

Donations payable to the Jason Kilderry Kidney Fund in care of TD Bank can be sent to 617 Cobot Court, Deptford 08096.

http://blog.nj.com/southjerseylife/2009/04/a_special_bond.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »