I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 03:19:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  My new fistula is too short. What to do?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My new fistula is too short. What to do?  (Read 2994 times)
RightSide
Elite Member

« on: April 15, 2009, 05:16:31 PM »

On April 3, I had my fistula operation in my left wrist, to create a fistula (my first one) in my left forearm.

I saw my surgeon again today, to have him remove the sutures and check things over.  He said that he could only hear the bruit sound for not quite 5 inches of the vein.  After that point, he thinks that the vein may branch off, or maybe there's some scarring there, and that's why he's not hearing any bruit past that point.  He said that if the ball-squeezing exercises don't improve things, I may need revision surgery.

This surgeon was highly recommended to me by some friends whom I trust, so I am disappointed.  Did my surgeon botch the operation, do you think?  Should I get a second opinion from another surgeon before proceeding further?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 08:45:25 PM »

Do you have insurance?  It seems if you have insurance you will have more surgeries! $$$$$$

Yes, you will probably have to have another surgery.  ALL surgeons think they are Tops, so a second opinion will only get you another one who thinks they can do better.

Five inches is still workable but not for long.

oleboy

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:01:52 PM »

I would check with your Neph to see what he thinks, with my fistula, left lower forearm and my surgeon saying I had small viens, my thrill did not start till after 2 weeks of using the ball. Good Luck

'hold fast your dreams for if dreams die life is a broken winged bird that connot fly.'
circleNthedrain

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 12:04:38 AM »

It may be a little early to woory about what next.  Fistulas mature and grow bigger with time and exercise.  Best of luck!

1979 Diagnosed with kidney failure
1979 Right arm fistula
1979 Start hemodialysis
1980 CAPD catheter
1980 Start CAPD
1989 Cadaveric kidney transplant
1995 2nd cadaveric  kidney transplant
2007 Start hemodialysis
2010 Still drawin' wind
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 08:23:12 PM »

I'm interested in your outcome because I have the same problem.  I am supposed to get a revision on my fistula (upper arm).  It works, but it is just a bit too deep so they want to move it up.  I really don't want another surgery

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
shelly

Sitting in the Captains Chair Caribeann Princess

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 08:20:31 AM »

RightSide....I had the same problem with my 1st fistula due to scarring that was from IV's from a past illness.  So, after seeing another Dr because I felt like you do that the original vascular surgeon had botched the job.  The 2nd opinion Dr told me that my original Dr. was qualified and since he did not take my insurance (I had to pay to see him out of pocket$$$) :banghead; it was in my best interest to have the 2nd fistula done.  So after all that I did and ended up having 3 angioplasties even after the 2nd fistula (because of small veins). That was done between 10/31/08 till 1/2/09.  After all that my fistula is up and running since 2/2009.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 06:52:09 PM »

I have small veins and after seeing the Vascular Surgeon who did my fistula I knew I would be having 2 procedures..the first to creat the fistula in my lower arm before the elbow and then 6 weeks later he went in and lifted the fistula to my upper arm so it is longer and just below the skin..works very well.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 06:57:49 PM »

I have small veins and after seeing the Vascular Surgeon who did my fistula I knew I would be having 2 procedures..the first to creat the fistula in my lower arm before the elbow and then 6 weeks later he went in and lifted the fistula to my upper arm so it is longer and just below the skin..works very well.

My vascular surgeon said the exact same thing. I ended up with a graft though because my veins weren't good enough though. When you say you have 5 inches, what are you talking about? I have a loop graft, so I can't picture what you are referring to. I definitely don't have 5 inches on either side of the loop for each of my needles. Now I'm concerned.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 07:20:33 PM »

Mine is a straight fistula going from my inner elbow straight up about 6 inches to my underarm.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 03:24:12 PM »

My vascular surgeon said the exact same thing. I ended up with a graft though because my veins weren't good enough though. When you say you have 5 inches, what are you talking about?
Well, I meant that if I take a ruler and measure from where I can first feel the thrill to where I can no longer feel the thrill, that's a bit less than 5 inches.
BRANDY

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 07:35:53 PM »

Now I am worried ,  My thrill is in only one spot. there isnt any inches there .  One finger is what you can feel  in one area.  My actual  vein is about 5 inches.  but the thrill isnt all the way down it.  You can hear down it somewhat.

Adapt and Overcome

Diabetic 1973
2000-clavical surgery
2000-rotor cuff surgery
2001- cervical surgery
2002 cervical surgery
2003 - cervical surgery
2004- lumbar surgery
2004 hysterectomy
2009-fistula placed
  Im diabetic with neuropathy, ckd ,bad back bad neck
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 11:44:52 PM »

If I understand my nephrologist correctly, you will only feel the thrill where the vein and artery (or tube/artery/vein if it's a graft) actually connect to each other. It is the bruit that you should be hearing the entire length of the fistula or graft. You probably need a stethoscope to listen for it though.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
BRANDY

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 03:21:17 PM »

thanks paddbear , I do hear it all the way down vein.  that is great  I thought I might have a problem.

Adapt and Overcome

Diabetic 1973
2000-clavical surgery
2000-rotor cuff surgery
2001- cervical surgery
2002 cervical surgery
2003 - cervical surgery
2004- lumbar surgery
2004 hysterectomy
2009-fistula placed
  Im diabetic with neuropathy, ckd ,bad back bad neck
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 04:59:02 PM »

Some fistulas take time to develop.  Hubby's was done in 2000 and it goes from his wrist to above his elbow!!  You can hear the thrill all the way up!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 07:04:15 PM »

The thrill is what you feel and the bruit is what you hear.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »