I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:41:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Once-a-Year Drug Helps Counter Steroid-Linked Bone Loss
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Once-a-Year Drug Helps Counter Steroid-Linked Bone Loss  (Read 1410 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: April 11, 2009, 02:43:57 PM »

Once-a-Year Drug Helps Counter Steroid-Linked Bone Loss
HealthDay

By Alan Mozes
HealthDay Reporter
Fri Apr 10, 11:49 pm ET

FRIDAY, April 10 (HealthDay News) -- Patients with rheumatoid arthritis or asthma often need to take a bone-strengthening drug to counter the debilitating effects of their steroid medications.

Now, a new study finds that a once-yearly injection of a bisphosphonate bone-building drug, Reclast, may work better than a once-daily bisphosphonate pill for these patients.

Specifically, Reclast (zoledronic acid) was found to hold off and/or reverse bone loss among patients taking a glucocorticoid medication (including prednisolone or prednisone) for one of several inflammatory and immune-related diseases, including asthma, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. And it did so more effectively than a daily dose of an oral bisphosphonate, Actonel (risedronate). Actonel is also available as a once-weekly and once-monthly pill.

The research team also found that both drugs appeared successful in lowering the risk of bone fracture that can result from glucocorticoid use.

The new study was funded by Novartis, which makes Reclast to help fight osteoporosis-linked bone loss in postmenopausal women. Novartis also makes another form of zoledronic acid, Zometa, for use by cancer patients.

"The important point is that people who take glucocorticoid steroids for asthma or arthritis are all in danger of getting osteoporosis or fractures as a consequence," said study lead author Dr. David M. Reid, professor of rheumatology and head of the division of applied medicine at University of Aberdeen, Scotland. "But now, we have found that there is a simple way of preventing that almost absolutely by applying a single infusion once a year of this safe and effective drug."

Reid and his colleagues reported their findings in the April 11 issue of The Lancet.

While bisphosphonate drugs can strengthen bone, they are not without their problems. For example, recent studies have suggested links between long-term use of oral bisphosphonates such as Fosamax (alendronate) to a heightened risk for irregular heartbeat and a particular type of fracture.

For the current investigation, Reid and his colleagues spent a year comparing the effects of Reclast with those of Actonel, taken daily, among 833 patients already being treated with glucocorticoid drugs. The study took place at 54 health facilities spread across 12 European countries, Australia, Hong Kong, Israel and the United States.

The team found that among patients who had been taking glucocorticoids for more than three months prior to the study launch, one 5-milligram shot of Reclast increased bone mineral density (BMD) in the lower part of their back by an average of just over 4 percent. By contrast, daily doses of 5 milligrams of Actonel, taken orally, achieved a 2.7 percent rise in BMD in such patients.

Reclast was similarly effective among participants who had been taking glucocorticoids for less than three months, raising their BMD by 2.7 percent compared with the daily medications' 2.0 percent boost.

"And there were virtually no fractures among the zoledronic [Reclast] patients over the course of the year," noted Reid. "The only thing with the single infusion that makes it a bit troublesome is that some patients might get a slightly flu-ish feeling for up to 48 hours after the infusion. And we would have to be wary of making sure that patients maintain a good level of vitamin D in their system when using this drug. But otherwise, there are no serious consequences to the method."

The new study follows a report, recently released by Austrian researchers, that indicated that zoledronic acid might also help lower the risk for breast cancer, as well as the risk for cancer spreading to bones. Those results were presented at the American Society of Clinical Oncology's annual meeting, held in Chicago last May.

Reid cautioned, however, that Reclast still requires approval by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration before being made available to American patients for use in patients taking glucocorticoid drugs. "However, I'm optimistic that this approval will eventually come through," he said.

Dr. Mone Zaidi, a professor of medicine and physiology and director of the Mount Sinai Bone Program at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York City, described the current finding as a "major breakthrough."

"I think the successful once-a-year use of this long-acting bisphosphonate is perhaps once of the most dramatic events that has occurred in the osteoporosis arena in the last few years," he said. "For a long time, many of us have thought this would prove to be the case, based on our own clinical use, but now it has been demonstrated very clearly, and will be very relevant for all those patients at risk for bone loss and fracture."

More information

For more about bone loss, visit the U.S. National Institutes of Health.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20090411/hl_hsn/onceayeardrughelpscountersteroidlinkedboneloss;_ylt=ApIEeUyILrM2ZXYeAZbkdbuWSbYF

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 08:14:52 PM »

I'm just starting back on once weekly Actonel which has worked well for me in the past.  I had to stop while on D.  However my bone health doctor discussed both the monthly and the yearly options.  We plan to do a bone density in 6 months time and if we feel that the Actonel isn't helping enough then we can consider the once a year option.  I'd like it to be out on the market for a bit longer before I opt for it myself.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 09:13:51 PM »

Thanks Karol.  Very interesting~

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 09:32:06 PM »

Interesting.
That would be better than remembering when to take my Actonel once a month

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 09:40:01 PM »

Just be aware of some of the possible side effects.
8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphosphonate

... Bisphosphonates have been associated with osteonecrosis of the jaw; with the mandible twice as frequently affected as the maxilla and most cases occurring following high-dose intravenous administration used for some cancer patients. Some 60% of cases are preceded by a dental surgical procedure (that involve the bone) and it has been suggested that bisphosphonate treatment should be postponed until after any dental work to eliminate potential sites of infection (the use of antibiotics may otherwise be indicated prior to any surgery).[7]

... A number of cases of severe bone, joint, or musculoskeletal pain have been reported, prompting labeling changes[8]

... Recent studies have reported bisphosphonate use (specifically zoledronate and alendronate) as a risk factor for atrial fibrillation in women.[9][10][11] The inflammatory response to bisphosphonates or fluctuations in calcium blood levels have been suggested as possible mechanisms.[10] One study estimated that 3% of atrial fibrillation cases might have been due to alendronate use.[10] Until now however, the benefits of bisphosphonates generally outweigh this possible risk, although care needs to be taken in certain populations at high risk of serious adverse effects from atrial fibrillation (such as patients with heart failure, coronary artery disease or diabetes).[10] FDA has not yet confirmed a causal relationship between bisphosphonates and atrial fibrillation [12].
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:47:18 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »