I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 09:26:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I need to pick your brains!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need to pick your brains!  (Read 2442 times)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« on: April 15, 2009, 04:41:48 PM »

>:D  Lately, i have been having really weird blood pressure issues. I'll go in to dialysis at around 160/95, but part way through, it spikes really high, like around 200/110. They have the machine set to check my BP every 15 minutes, and within one of those 15 minutes spans, it crashes suddenly. We aren't getting down to my dry weight because of this. I've been trying to challenge my dry weight since last week because I wasn't able to keep food down all last week, so I know I've lost weight. What could be causing this weird fluctuation? Any suggestions? We have tried various different UFR profiles with no luck.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 04:43:54 PM »

I don't have any advice. Sorry. But I have a really big hug.  :grouphug; I hope you figure it out soon.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 04:47:38 PM »

Try various place to take the blood pressure. Upper arm, lower arm, legs, etc.  Find one that works for you.  I too have strange blood pressure.  Standing I am 200/129, the minute I sit or lie down it is 139/85.  I crash at the end of the run no matter how much or little we take off.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 05:02:42 PM »

Sometimes the blood pressure situation you describe can be traced to cardiac issues.  I definitely think it is worth bringing to your doctor's attention if you haven't already.

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 05:09:49 PM »

Definately what David said.  Also, are you on a new med???  Take care.    :grouphug;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »

It could be you are on a BP medication that is dialyzed out.  Crashing at the end can be caused by your body not being able to transfer fluid from the cells back to the blood as fast as it is removed.  Thus one can crash but still actually have excess fluid that needs removed.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 06:48:30 PM by BigSky » Logged
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 08:13:53 PM »

Sometimes the blood pressure situation you describe can be traced to cardiac issues.  I definitely think it is worth bringing to your doctor's attention if you haven't already.

I just had a stress test, EKG and echocardiogram and my cardiologist said my heart was in perfect condition. I also just had ultrasounds done on my femoral and jugular veins/arteries and they are working perfectly too.

No new meds. I'm on 10 mg of benazapril twice a day, but I don't take my pill on the mornings I dialyze because when I first started dialysis, no one told me to not take it and i was crashing. For my last couple of weeks when i was dialyzing at the hospital, everything was going very smoothly. This new problem seems to have started when I switched to the outpatient clinic now that I think about it.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 08:19:46 PM »

I'm sorry you are having problems.  Remember that you can ask for a "PUFF" and that is where you go in an extra day for just fluid removal.  You won't get dialyzed just ultra filtration/fluid removal.  You need that fluid off.

:flower;

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 02:54:02 PM »

Are you using any kind of eye drops??? They had to take me off two and change another because they dropped my BP...could work the other way too..Just a thought.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 03:21:06 PM »

I'm sorry you are having problems.  Remember that you can ask for a "PUFF" and that is where you go in an extra day for just fluid removal.  You won't get dialyzed just ultra filtration/fluid removal.  You need that fluid off.

I think Rerun has a great suggestion here.  It is worth discussing with your nephrologist at the very least.

Take care, and please keep us updated.   :cuddle;

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »