I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 03:19:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  It is your body - TAKE CHARGE!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It is your body - TAKE CHARGE!  (Read 3397 times)
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« on: April 04, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »

Folks I read a lot about what they do to you at dialysis. Please remember that it is your body and you have a right to tell them what you want and don't want.

Crashing blood pressure, cramping, passing out - you tell them to raise your dry weight. If you are feeling "wetter" than normal between sessions, you tell them to challenge you a little.

YOU, not THEM!

Here's my rant, Rolando is quite a lot nicer than me  :cuddle;
 :rant;
Yesterday, Rolando was a bit light headed and crampy after dialysis. As we were leaving the charge nurse said that she had decided to "challenge" Rolando's dry weight a little because his blood pressure was high.
I asked Rolando if she had asked his permission to challenge him. He said no. I flashed - I saw bright yellows, reds, and oranges, and I saw my prey - the nurse. I bared my fangs... and I was ready to go chew her up and spit her out! But Rolando wouldn't let me, he wanted to leave... grrr! (but, there's always next session!)

We put a lot of thought into the target weight that we request at each dialysis session. If there is to be a change, we expect it to be done only in discussion with Rolando and the he has absolute veto power - as do you all, it is your body!

Rolando's blood pressure was high due to a medication issue, not a fluid issue, and, IT ROSE during the session. It did not fall which is what it would do if related to fluid. She made the change after I left (1 1/4 hours into the session) - unilaterally. I am not happy! Ultimately she did what she has orders to do - administer clonidine. That helped. We will be making our displeasure known on Monday.
 :rant;

The militancy in this point of view dates back several years, before we recognized the issue - they allowed his ending weight to creep upward due to errors in their own calculations until he ended up in the hospital from fluid overloading. At that point "we saw the light" and took charge, learning as we went.

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:04:58 AM »

It is true and if anything is to be learned on this forum, it is just that.

Knowledge is power! Take charge of your care! You are your own best advocate!
Wallyz

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:57:25 AM »

Sweet fancy moses.  This needs to be taken to the clinic director.
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 09:44:42 AM »

Yup, been there, done that.  They were always trying to bring me back to a mythical dry weight in spite of the fact that I am deliberately losing weight to get on the transplant list.  Took charge.  I explained that they may not be removing enough fluid because part of my loss between one session and the next is body mass.  Now they ASK me how much I want to take off.  Also, a new nurse screwed up my machine twice.  I told them she was not to touch me or my machine ever again.  Bottom line is they don't care what happens to you after you leave the center.  They're off to another patient. 

Rules also apply to yourself.  I finally made the rule that I go straight home after dialysis, no shopping (I'm allowed to stop for dinner only if they have a drive thru!).  Remember, just because your BP seems fine in the center, it still takes the body time to adjust.  My BP was fine in center, then I stopped at an ATM and nearly passed out.  I got home and my BP was below 100. 
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 01:29:06 PM »

:2thumbsup;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 02:25:28 PM »

I couldn't have said it bette raharris2.  :clap; :clap;

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 03:22:46 PM »

couldnt agree more. I try to double check everything the nurses ans staff do because your right they do try to change that dry weight on you all the time, among other things. Give em hell!!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 07:49:23 PM »

I've learned to do my own calculations, and then double check what they are entering.  Even with a calculator, some of them can't subtract when there's an odd number involved!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 08:23:31 PM »

aharris,
I agree with everything you said!  This is so important for a dialysis patient and/or caregiver!  It is true (sad, but true) that often times when you sit in that chair, you are just a BODY to the nurses/techs.

This quote could describe me many, many, many times during the last 14 years that Marvin has been living with ESRD and dialysis...

I flashed - I saw bright yellows, reds, and oranges, and I saw my prey - the nurse. I bared my fangs... and I was ready to go chew her up and spit her out!

Most of Marvin's nurses/techs/even doctors have seen my "fangs."  Mess with my Marvin, and you've had a baaaaaaaaddddd day.  Unfortunate as it is, those of us who are aggressive, intelligent, well-informed, well-read, and persistant are often seen as hard-to-get-along-with.  I know a lot of Marvin's nurses/techs/docs think I'm a bitch.  I don't care. 
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 04:00:52 PM »

Mine don't see me as bitchy (mostly!) but I do a really, really good donkey imitation - stubborn, stubborn, stubborn!  Might as well give me my way, 'cause I'm just gonna keep at it until I get my way!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

swramsay

My son, Scotland, is my heartbeat.

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 02:07:20 PM »

Remember, just because your BP seems fine in the center, it still takes the body time to adjust.  My BP was fine in center, then I stopped at an ATM and nearly passed out.  I got home and my BP was below 100. 

My blood pressure is always below 100 - usually in the 90's. I start feeling it (light-headed etc) when it goes below 80. Today, it's been hovering in the 70's/50's. I've been dizzy and feel a bit strange. Even my vision seems a little off. I weigh more than my dry weight. I got off my run yesterday higher than my target dry weight and drank extra fluid last night as well. Me feet cramped several times waking me up last night. That's never happened before. My stomach cramped twice. It's possible I've put on some weight because I feel like I am eating more and exercise is putting on a little muscle but I don't think I've put on that much (weight or muscle). I didn't go to the gym today because I wonder if it could be my heart. Hopefully it's a fluid issue.

p.s. While in-center, I calculated my own uf targets and gave them to the techs.

JUST KEEP GOING.
March 2009: NxStage Pureflow Home Dialysis 5-6 x's week
Sept 2008: In center dialysis
Sept 2008: Left kidney removed (bladder cancer)
April 2006: Right kidney removed (bladder cancer). Chemo for lymph node mets.
April 2004: Bladder removed plus hysterectomy & neobladder made (bladder cancer)
Feb 1994: Original bladder cancer diagnosis & beginning of this journey

www.marykay.com/wramsay
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 03:18:42 PM »

Why not try uping your dry weight .5 at a time....it sounds like they sucked all the fluid out of you...my BP is like yours and if its below 85 over whatever I weigh before needles come out and then get saline if needed.  You know your body best.  Good Luck

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 03:20:04 PM »

i always tell the tech how much to take off, if they ask about my dry weight i say "ingnore it" and the problem of challeging dry weight was solved when my doctor wrote orders not, under any cercumstances to challenge my dry weight, ever.  i usually don't have any problems though, doing nocturnal i always have the same nurse and tech. and they know better. i'm sorry rolando had problems.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »