I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 08:29:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Davita is bad!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Davita is bad!!!  (Read 37720 times)
bdpoe

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2007, 03:19:14 PM »

Sure there are all kind of variables that effect dialysis facilities.  The State you reside in, the staff, the management ect.
It is my belief that most facilities could be improved upon and regardless of which company runs them, you have the good, the bad and the ugly.

State and Federal legislators must protect and improve medicare and medicaid for Americans on dialysis NOW.
.......bd
formerteammate

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2008, 12:29:14 PM »

Does anyone here realize that the DaVita clinic in Lufkin Tx. is closed temporarily closed down because of a sudden spike in deaths?  I recognized 9 names in the obits just in April and I haven't worked there in almost 2 yrs.  Beware of DaVita!!!!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2008, 12:32:12 PM »

No need to post this info more than once. Thanks.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2008, 12:35:58 PM »

My center is private non-profit and does offer 4 day treatments for those who need it. One guy that I know fairly well does 4.5/hrs. 4 days/week.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2008, 01:00:46 PM »

Does your unit provide four day a week schedules?

No clinics that I am aware of offer a 4 day a week schedule.  Your choices are M-W-F or T-Th-S.  Depending on your remaining renal function you may only go 2 days a week instead of 3.  The only time you may dialyze more than 3 time in one week is if you are going to miss your first treatment the following week, or there is a holiday that the clinic is closed for so they opened on a Sun. instead of that holiday.

there is a woman at my clinic who is currently doing 4 days a week, requested by her doctor. the clinic adds her to which ever day/shift they have space open.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2008, 02:10:46 PM »

Does your unit provide four day a week schedules?

No clinics that I am aware of offer a 4 day a week schedule.  Your choices are M-W-F or T-Th-S.  Depending on your remaining renal function you may only go 2 days a week instead of 3.  The only time you may dialyze more than 3 time in one week is if you are going to miss your first treatment the following week, or there is a holiday that the clinic is closed for so they opened on a Sun. instead of that holiday.
I must have missed this response back in June but many units offer forth treatments including all Northwest Kidney Centers Units. I hope by the end of the 111th Congress in 2010 Medicare will routinely reimburse for forth treatments and we'll start seeing units open 7 days a week, followed by a decrease in overall mortality.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2008, 07:07:31 PM »

This talk of treatment time reminds me of one of my last txs in-centre, there was a problem with the bicarb and my machine was in bypass for a half hour (just circulating blood and removing fluid-no actual dialysis). Several times before when that happened, I had to come off after four hours without reaching my clearance goal. (I had a  :rant; or two on here when that happened). This last time though, I successfully persuaded them to let me reach my clearance goal. I think I was the first patient there who fought to stay ON the machine.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
joannalee74

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2008, 04:41:03 PM »

Are all Davita clinics so careless?
I'm sorry for your horrible experience. People forget that in our line of work, it's not just a job. We care for human beings with feelings. The DaVita clinic that I worked for in Oklahoma City was the best clinic that I ever worked at. We all cared deeply for our patients and they knew it. Unfortunately, it's not like that everywhere. I wish it could be. You can either change clinics or talk with the social worker about the problem. They are usually the nicest people in the clinic. Just remember that you are in control. If you insist that they do something, they must do it. If you want to stay on the machine and also receive 100cc of saline, that is what you should get. Don't let them decide for you. The techs and nurses are following doctors orders and cannot change them. (which is what they did when they took you off early). Sorry I'm going on and on, but I hate to hear of things like this. It shouldn't happen. Ok...I'm done.  ;) I hope you have better experiences in the future!
Joanna  ;D

Joanna
Acute Dialysis Tech.
5 years hemodialysis experience
Employed with Fresenius
=)
highlite36

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2008, 04:07:36 PM »

After hearing about all of the awful things with DaVita's hemodialysis, does anyone have experience with the peritoneal dialysis staff of DaVita?  Which company do they use to supply with and how accommodating the staff is???

ESRD February 2002
Transplant from living non-related donor November 7, 2002
Lost transplant April 2005
Diagnosed with Heart Failure February 2006
Currently on Peritoneal Dialysis, awaiting to be well enough to FINALLY get placed
on the Transplant List.  :-)  I can't wait!!!!
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2008, 06:46:13 PM »

After hearing about all of the awful things with DaVita's hemodialysis, does anyone have experience with the peritoneal dialysis staff of DaVita?  Which company do they use to supply with and how accommodating the staff is???
My PD staff at Davita are the best! They are very supportive, knowledgeable, and just plain nice! They are helpful with just about any problem, and they are more than willing to go the extra mile (one of my nurses even offered to give me a ride home from the centre when my motor scooter wouldn't start). As for the supplies, we get ours from Baxter, but I imagine some probably go through Fresenius. I seriously feel that if all Die-Vita staff were like the ones at my centre (at least the home care staff), the company wouldn't seem quite so  >:D

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2008, 07:55:59 AM »

Dialysis is Dialysis.  The company doesn't really matter.  I think each clinic is  driven by there manager, either a good one, who cares about patients, and clinical outcomes, or just someone who wants the money, and a bit of power.  The attitude of the staff, and the care of the patients all follow the managers attitude and concern.  A strong, and concerned manager will stand up for good care, not just keep her mouth shut to whatever. 
BTW,  patients who are Medicare ONLY, cost money to the clinic.  That is why they want the Hippers.  FMC, Davita, USRenal, privates.  All dialysis companies want the private insurance pateints.  Make no mistake, there is alot of money to be made., and they are all making it.   Still, good care has to come from the clinic, not specific companies. 

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
Bobber

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2009, 10:25:38 AM »

I agree davita does a good job. I feel sorry for people that are in a bad clinic. That is not Davita. That is a poor manager and a poor ROD that is afraid to improve their clinic because they dont want to go out of their "budget". I feel its better to keep a nice clinic and happy patients I care about my patients and if I didnt I wouldnt be here.  I just also know how business is run and thats out of my control... So why dog it. Im thankful for being there for my patients and giving them the quality of life they deserve. I dont care who pays the bill or if they profit.  I just care that I can see all my patients everyday and know I do the best I can for them. I take it personally if a patient expires, I mourn for their families and always reflect back if I did everything I could to enhance their lifes. My patients become my family and dont even think about money when it comes to them. All my discussions with dialysis pts has been about life and quality of it. I have never had a pt tell me there were unhappy that Davita is making a profit. Who gives a care... Im just thankful for everyday I can help someone be a more productive human being. Maybe if you were paying out of pocket for your treatments you could feel angry. But since the fed gov. is footing the bill . what is the big deal??? what would happen to you if the gov decided to cut dialysis?? I dont even want to think about that. I know alot of countries that would let people die. If anyone ever knew what it was like to be a pt. in another country believe me you would be very thankful to be an american. Do you ever wonder why we have so many illegals on diaysis? Its because their country dont give a care. They want to live just like we all do. They are not complaining.
I think we should step back and reflect a little bit.  I spoke to a nurse from South Africa - they would come home daily and cry about the patients they had to turn away because of not meeting qualifying criteria.  Some countries have a "cut off" of services - @ age 55.  Now - if you look around the clinics - the majority of patients are over 55.  How sad is that.
dialysisbiller

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2009, 06:44:36 PM »

I'm in North Carolina visiting my daughter and am using one of Davita's clinics. It is yukkkk!!!  :thumbdown; The chairs are all busted and taped together. The nurses are nice but couldn't care less about the patients. They wanted to give me Epo when my clinic specificly told them I didn't need it. They were told I can ride at 85 with my blood pressure and I fiind out I'm not feeling good because I'm riding at 75. The nurse said he was aware of my pressure but watching it. That could so easily clot my access. I asked for some saline to bring my pressure up so only then they gave me some. A half hour before my treatment was over I told them I had a slight cramp in my back if they could give me 100cc saline but instead they took me off. They didn't want me to have a bad weekend. I have 4 treatments left and get worried they will kill me or just pretend I'm not there. I didn't reach my clearance because they took me off early. I think they wanted to get out of there so the hell with me. I may be a guest visiting but I still have a condition that has to be monitored.  :thumbdown; :thumbdown; for Davita. I feel for anyone that has to use Davita as their clinic all the time.

Bluedove
Can you give me the 'name' and location of your center please? private message if needed. I'll explain later. I cannot get into specific detail, but I really would like to know and it is important. That is horrible for you to experience it.

If possible take pictures too!

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2009, 06:31:13 PM »

Bluedove got a transplant - hopefully will check back in soon.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
formerteammate

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2009, 07:57:17 AM »

DaVita is in it for the money, plain and simple.  True, all companies must make a profit, but a huge profit should not come before a patients heath.  Do you know why they tried to give a visiting patient EPO that wasn't prescibed it?  Because the more EPO they give, they more they make off of it.  It's a little deal they have going with the drug company.  I worked for DaVita for 3 yrs and I saw how they work.  Yes, they do treat hipper patients differently, eventhough they are not supposed to.  They tend to get the chair they want and the time they want for treatments.  Maybe not at every clinic, but at most.  Half the time the other patients can tell you who the hippers are just from the way they are treated.  That is sad.  I have been on the inside and I have seen first-hand how they work.  They are not in it for the patients, they are in it for the profit.  Those who work for them that DO actually care about the patients don't make it there very long, especially if they start pointing out problems and issues that need to be worked on.  Those employees either eventually give up on trying to make things better, or get run off when they start stirring up too much dust.  You are supposed to just work there with your eyes and mouth shut.  You don't see anything, you don't say anything and you are the perfect "teammate".
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2009, 03:32:03 PM »

I will have Epoman rolling on the floor or getting the big stick out to use on me, but my Davita center beats the pants off of my old Fresenius center.  Better staffing, better dialysis, and the staff seems more professional. Maybe because I am sleeping and not up the entire time I am there. Also I am getting great blood work results and I feel better!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2009, 03:26:55 AM »

well on the positive side, kitkatz, at least there is one good Davita
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2009, 08:21:35 AM »

I will have Epoman rolling on the floor or getting the big stick out to use on me, but my Davita center beats the pants off of my old Fresenius center.  Better staffing, better dialysis, and the staff seems more professional. Maybe because I am sleeping and not up the entire time I am there. Also I am getting great blood work results and I feel better!

:beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »