I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 07:20:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Hemo or Peritoneal Dialysis- Your choice & the reasons why?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hemo or Peritoneal Dialysis- Your choice & the reasons why?  (Read 5651 times)
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 10:36:25 AM »

Sween_tone that would be wonderful  :thx;  and you asking this has actually helped me more then you will know.  I asked a little bit when I first got on the site but this helped a lot more.

And Thanks Paul.Karen.  I have been meaning to read up on PD more. I still have some links to go to. I just have been to lazy to do it.  Eh.  But yeah thanks

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 06:19:32 AM »

Hi Swee Tone I originally chose apd because I work full time and my residual kidney function was such that I didn't have to carry fluid during the day so it could all be done while asleep. I had the usual teething problems but these resolved themselves after a couple of weeks. Had I known how painfull peritonitis could be I would have thought a bit harder about doing it.

I contracted peritonitis in December last and it was such a bad strain of bacteria that I had to have the catheter surgically removed in order to get rid of the infection completely.

However many pd patients go for long periods with no problems and some have been doing pd for years without ever contracting it. Also for most patients who do get it, it is usually one of the less virulent bacterias and usually clears up with antibiotics within 48 hours without infecting the catheter. Dialysis can then be continued without the need to remove and replace with a new catheter.

I decided that  knowing my luck, if I had my catheter replaced and continued with pd I would eventually get the same type of peritonitis again. I didn't want to risk that so for the last 3 months I have been doing in centre haemo. Although studies have shown that pd gives just as good a dialysis as haemo, some patients fare better on pd and vice-a versa.

For me although I thought I felt well on pd, after under going haemo I am now experiencing the kind of energy levels that I must have forgotten it was possible to have. If I'd known then what I now know, I would have chosen Haemo from the start because Ifeel so well on it. Hope this has been helpful but you must try to get as much info as you can about the two modalities of dialysis so that when the time comes you can make the right choice for you. Good Luck.

Ken
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 06:28:59 AM »

Another thing you should know about PD is that in some people it does stop working and you can become really sick.  Hubby's peritoneum (spelling) stopped working after about 2 1/2 years. Fluid wasn't being removed or any toxins. He became very sick. Some people are lucky and this doesn't happen but some people have no choice but to change to hemo or have a transplant.  For the people that it does work for it is a good choice if they want freedom from gong to a dialysis center. Another dialysis option of course is home hemo.  You have to choose what would be best for you but you need to keep in mind the pros and cons of all types of dialysis.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Swee_tone

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 08:48:17 PM »

ok thanks guys. I think there are positives & negitives to anything, but I guess it's good to see in advance the difficulties people have had. ... which makes it a tough decision. I'll do more research, I have some time yet, but wow! this is difficult  stuff!

Diagnosed in 2000, not on dialysis yet
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »