I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:29:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant dialysis limbo questions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant dialysis limbo questions  (Read 2944 times)
Roseann

« on: January 28, 2009, 02:32:41 PM »

Hi everyone. This is my first real post with questions and issues I have. I've been on dialysis since August and my kidneys were removed in November. I'm jumping through all the hoops to get approved for a transplant. I have several volunteer donors but this process is just so slow I want to scream. In the mean time I dialyze 3 times a week. My urea level is still on the high side and I have no appetite at all. I have extreme fluctuations in my blood pressure. High stroke range one day and somewhere below the floor the next. That can't be good for a body! Often I have severe pain in my chest and abdomen but my heart checks out just fine.

I smoke marijuana to help with nausea and pain. I just can't take narcotics. Does anyone have any experience with using pot while waiting for a transplant? Please, I don't want any moral judgements just medical or personal opinions on the efficacy of marijuana.
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:12:28 PM »

I have read numerous times on this site where it automatically is a rejection for transplant lists if you smoke dope.  Ask your MD.  Even Dr. prescribed is off limits.  Also, it took me awhile to get my bp lowered, and now I rarely have to take bp meds.  So, just do your treatments, eat as much healthy food as possible.  Your body needs to gain back strength. and smoking isn't healthy.

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 03:21:19 PM »

I don't know about any of the transplant stuff.  It has been going pretty smothly for my father. The doctors are alredy talking about geting him out to the mayo clinic within the next month. So I am not sure. Sorry it is taking you so long. As for blood pressure, are you seeing any chang based on things you eat?  Mine was like that.  When I don't eat it drops really bad.  And if I eat even the slighest bit of sodium it ski rockets.  It may be the meds on your too. Sometimes you need to change them up a few times before it works itself out.

Just a random question here.  Dose pot help? And what dose it help with?

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 03:50:04 PM »

Sorry to say but transplant evaluations and the like DO take time.. and then the donor testing process can also take a long time - up to six months. One of the reasons as much as anything else is to give the donor time for the idea of the process and what is truly involved to sink in rather than jumping in and 2 weeks later it's done. Plus all of the tests require time and that's something you just can't rush in terms of doing the tests, waiting for the results, discussing them, scheduling, etc etc.

I know it is horribly frustrating but it's something we all go through (well those deemed medically fit enough to even consider for transplant). If you are stable on dialysis that is a good thing (though the BP swings do seem a bit large). I don't know about the pot thing other than that I had always understood smoking of any sort was considered a real no-no for transplant, but I have since heard otherwise. Definitely discuss with your transplant co-ordinator and/or Neph.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
cheesefania

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 10:37:55 PM »

I am in a similar predicament.  I have smoked marijuana for a long time, and I have become actively involved with the medical marijuana movement in my home state of Iowa.  I am not ashamed of my use, because I don't consider it morally wrong, so I was honest about it to my doctors, but they told me it was their policy that to be placed on the transplant list, I had to demonstrate six months of abstinence and go through a substance abuse treatment program.  Although I disagreed with their policy, I still complied with their rules and did the treatment program and quit using for six months.  After the six months was up, they placed me on the list, but they still wanted to monitor me for marijuana use.  I did a lot of research on the subject, and have found no direct evidence linking marijuana use to kidney or dialysis problems.  In fact, it helps with my appetite, and helps me feel better at times, and it can't be much worse than half the chemicals that are pumped into me on a regular basis, not to mention what is in all the processed food out there, but I digress.  All ranting aside, I purchased a vaporiser so I would not have to smoke the pot, thus eliminating much of the potential for harm to my lungs and throat.  Vaporisation heats the marijuana up to a hot enough temperature to extract the THC, without burning the plant material, and is the method many medical marijuana patients use, because it acts as fast as smoking without as many (or any, some say)health concerns.

So I guess my only advice would be to educate yourself about the subject as much as you can, and keep the fact that you use to yourself, if you haven't already disclosed it to your doctors, because it can make the transplant process that much slower and longer. 

"Joy in spite of everything; joy because of everything." - Tom Robbins
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 11:27:16 AM »

Look at statistics of smokers who receive transplants.  They are disturbing.  I would quit if I were you and if you are able.  The longevity rate is much lower in smokers.   Good Luck.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Wallyz

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 07:29:36 PM »

Yeah, the problem is that if you smoke, pot or tobacco, you will get sick more.  If you get sick a lot, you can't go on immune suppression and live.  If you can't go on immune suppression, you can't get  a transplant.

Them's the breaks, folks.  Transplant is an opportunity you don't have to take, not a right you deserve.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 08:20:04 PM »

Also, consider the "smokers cough".  That will not be pleasant following transplant.  I could barely clear my throat during that time.  It was extremely painful!  Thankfully, I was able to avoid sneezing as well.

Not to mention the dangers of going under anesthesia if you are a heavy smoker (don't know if you are or not).

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 10:35:17 PM »

Also, consider the "smokers cough".  That will not be pleasant following transplant.  I could barely clear my throat during that time.  It was extremely painful!  Thankfully, I was able to avoid sneezing as well.

Not to mention the dangers of going under anesthesia if you are a heavy smoker (don't know if you are or not).

Yeah the coughing part is bad and painful even with the pillow given to cough. Unfortunately I did sneeze due to something in the air and that hurt like a SOB, not to mention pullling a tube out.

As you may find out when you go to a different transplant center, there are different criteria that they accept patients to their list and most frown upon smoking and try to get people to stop before they are listed if they choose to do so, while waiting,  and then after. If you read most transplant books, they say to stay as far away from smokers as much as possible due to health risk. No idea about vaporizers though, but if they are taking blood test and that is found in your system, they do have the right to deny you and mark you as non complient.

Good Luck

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »

I have gone through the elvaluation process at three different centers.  Everyone asks "do you smoke, drink or do drugs?"  Then the social worker has her evaluation of you and you will be asked to go over your habits.   Just be prepared for their response.  The best way to get a trasnplant is to very compliant with their rules.   Good luck with everything.  Let us know how things go.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 11:13:03 AM »

I agree.  If you're not compliant, or if you don't plan on being compliant, your best option is to at least be honest.  I wish you the best of luck!   :cuddle;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »