I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:30:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  My Brother Wants to Give Me A Kidney
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Brother Wants to Give Me A Kidney  (Read 7853 times)
Beth35

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 04:51:40 PM »

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories with me.  It's very exciting to hear from those whose family members have donated their kidneys and also to hear they are doing well.

Marsha, thanks for telling me your story.  I got teary eyed reading it.  It's interesting because I too have IGA Nephropathy.  I'm lucky in that my kidney has lasted ten years and it's still ticking although not for long.  I figure any time with a kidney and not having to do dialysis is huge.

I am trying to get ahold of the transplant person who is in charge of the type of ABO incompatable transplant that we would need.  I need to get more information on that.

Thanks again guys for sharing your opinions and stories with me.

Found out I had kidney disease when I was 15.
Started dialysis when I was 20.
Got a kidney transplant when I was 25.
Kidney failed at 37 and I began my second journey on dialysis.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 06:09:34 PM »

Like Monrein, I received a kidney from my sister-in-law (husband's sister) on Nov. 5th.  My thoughts on living donors has always been as long as they are fully aware of what they are doing, that they are doing if for the right reasons, they understand the potential risks of surgery and recovery, and that they know how they must take care of their remaining kidney, I say GO FOR IT!  They are offering because they love you and they care about you.  That takes a special kind of person.  Don't poo-poo their generous and selfless offer.  THEY LOVE YOU!   Just be sure they have all the information.   :cuddle;  Good luck with whatever you decide.  It's ultimately up to you, of course.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 07:28:23 PM »

I just want to thank everyone who has posted here as well. Definitely food for thought (hmm renal diet friendly??  :rofl;).. it is good to hear different viewpoints....

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »