I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:36:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Are you kidding me?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are you kidding me?  (Read 3243 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: January 31, 2009, 06:17:31 PM »

We all know just how long it takes for hospitals to bill insurance, get multiple denials, re-bill insurance, receive payment, bill secondary, etc. etc. before sending the patient their responsibility invoice.

Now, my transplant was performed on Nov 5, 2008 (almost three months ago).  I've been receiving invoice after invoice from the hospital all stating "pending insurance".  I've been keeping up with all their invoices, as well as all my EOB's from Humana and just waiting for any that have a balance owed by me.

Last week I received my first invoice for my portion (deductible) for $1,590.55.  The invoice is dated 01/21/09.  The same day I receive a separate letter from the hospital stating "Your insurance has paid and this is the remaining balance and it's your responsibility.  We would appreciate prompt payment...".   THE SAME DAY I received the invoice.   Okay, fine.

TODAY
I receive a letter stating my account with the hospital has been turned over to collections!   WTF?   First, it hasn't even been three months since DOS.  Second, I just received the first invoice last week!

I was going to pay in full, but now I think I'll send them $5 month.  Screw those idiots!      :stressed;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 07:06:38 PM »

OMG can they let you open the mail for godsake!!! Like they haven't already gotten a very nice check from your INS. If they didn't add finance charges I'd send them a $1 a month.

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 07:35:35 PM »

They don't add finance charges!  And I just might reduce it to $1/month!  Good idea, Lola!   :clap;

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 08:18:43 PM »

A penny a week might be hilarious!  :rofl;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 08:24:08 PM »

K.
  Let them know that you are learned in the ways of waiting lists.....and now they are on yours.  As soon as "funds" become available, they will me tested for match and then will be transplanted from your account into theirs.

:)

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 08:26:25 PM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;   I dare you to tell them that!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 08:28:23 PM »

:rofl; :rofl;
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 09:09:27 PM »

Wenchie..can I borrow that for future reference???   :rofl;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 10:13:59 PM »

Sure!  I just thunk it up!  lol

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 08:59:12 AM »

:thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup;

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 09:23:17 AM »

I like your thinkin Wenchie. I also would be fuming mad at the hospital and bitchin at them asking them for an explanation. You have all the documents, so they better produce some with dates. :rant; I hate these billing idiots.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 08:28:16 PM »

I have been in this exact position before (except it was a $10,000 hospital bill--no insurance)! And ended up having to declare bankruptcy. Those damn collection agencies ruined my credit too. Be warned--it will show up on your credit report!!And they WILL start charging a "service charge" of some sort. And only paying $5 a month will kill your credit. I did the same thing, except it was $25. That's all I could afford to send them a month after the bills were paid! Send the collection agency a letter immediately (signature required and return receipt required would be the safest way to go for proof). If you do that, by law, they can not try to collect on the balance for 30 days. This will give you time to get things straightened out with the hospital. And if they do try to collect, via a letter or phone calls, they are in violation of the law. I went through this, and let me tell you, even an empty threat of getting a lawyer involved (remember the proof of mailing, and that letter they may have sent or that phone record of them calling?), things get fixed REAL fast! Unfortunately, I had medical bills up in the mid $20,000 range, so arrangements were a little hard to do and accommodate, thus the bankruptcy.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 08:44:20 PM »

I was finally able to speak with someone today about the invoice and the collection letter.  Apparently, the letter is just that - a letter.  If I don't respond to the letter or make payment arrangements within 30 days then it goes to collections.  I told her to remove it immediately and it had better not show up on my credit report.  She said she would put a note in my file and then I told her I was sending a payment today.

She said "We usually send those letters 90 days from DOS".  Bull crap!  I had the EOB from my insurance and they just made their payment the beginning of Dec.  She did say that she showed no other invoices sent.  Yeah, duh!  I got the invoice, a demand for payment letter and a letter from collection all within a week of each other!

I wonder if they even sent the balance to Medicare?   Would Medicare even pick up my deductible? I need to call again tomorrow and ask just to be sure.

What are the skills required to work in the billing department for a hospital anyway?  You must own your own pen or be willing to buy one prior to your first day on the job?  Stupid!

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 09:59:27 AM »

Still even more...     :rant;

I got my new invoice last week.  Actually, I received two invoices.  One showed a remaining balance of $1390.55 (reflecting my $200 payment in January) and the second invoice showed the original balance of $1590.55.  Now, honestly I knew I could have just thrown the $1590.55 invoice in the trash.  But no.  I decided to call.    :boxing;

I asked the poor woman who answered the phone why I had received two invoices and I wanted to know what the computer showed as my balance duee.  She told me my balance was indeed $1390.55 and that the other invoice must have been generated before my payment had been received.  This, we all know, is B.S.  The two invoices were dated within two days of each other.  I have come to know that is the standard "excuse".  Blame it on the computer.

Anyway, she asked if I had been set up on a "payment plan" yet and I said that I thought I had.  She checked and in fact I had not.  Go figure.  I said go ahead and set me up and I will pay $200/month.  She set it up and said that in the next few weeks I'll receive a "Payment Plan Invoice" with a payment coupon showing the $200 payment to be made.  I then said it is highly possible that I may make payments of more than $200, but wasn't sure.  Here is how the conversation went from there (downhill):

Her:    "That's fine, but if you make a payment less than $200 then you will have broken your promise and your account will then go into default".

Me:  "And what does "default" mean?".  Wanting her to say I'd be sent to collections so I could properly rip her a new one...

Her:    "Nothing.  It just means you broke your payment plan promise and your account is in default."

Me:   "But what happens then?  Does the balance become immediately due or what?"

Her:  "No.  You just broke your payment agreement promise.  Nothing happens except that next month you won't receive the Payment Plan Invoice, you'll receive a regular invoice."   oooooo!

Me:   "So what?"   I was thoroughly confused at their system at this time.

Me:   "So, if I don't set up a payment plan I can send any amount I want?"

Her:  "Yes."      :waiting;

This lady and I went round and round.  She was mad at me.   ::)

Does this system make sense to ANYONE?  Oh, jeez, I don't want to "break my promise", especially if there are NO consequences for doing so!

To tell the truth, had I not received the collection threat letter with my first invoice I would have paid the entire balance due all at once.  But now they can wait.  This is utterly ridiculous.  AND it's not even a large balance.  I could understand if I owed thousands of dollars.    :stressed;

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 10:50:22 AM »

Kelly, what a mess.  I hate dealing with billing.   I got a notice last week that I owed $400 from testing done in Dec.07.   Where has that bill been, why now and who goofed up?  Of course, they want it now.  I don't like calling insurance company to see if they know why this wasn't paid.  I don't like calling the hospital billing--they have no clue what is going on.  Everytime you think you have everything paid and you are a dollar ahead, someone tells you that you owe more.   

Also, regarding paying the hospital; my friends had a very sick baby with cancer.  (They named her for me)  She was in the hospital for a couple of months before she died.  John and Laurie owed a half a million dollars after insurance paid their part.  Not many can pay that bill.  They made an agreement to pay $10 a week until paid off.  Almost 30 years later, they are still paying. It has never effected their credit rating or held them back in getting home loans, etc.  But how sad to still be paying for hospital bills for a child they lost so long ago.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 11:06:34 AM »

I've had that exact same conversation with a hospital before. Didn't understand their system then, and I don't now either.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »