I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 02:20:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  I hate hypoglycemia
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I hate hypoglycemia  (Read 8232 times)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« on: January 12, 2009, 09:10:41 AM »

Yesterday I was attending the last day of the gun and knife show in Indianapolis, and right as I was getting ready to leave, my sugar crashed. I was able to make it to a little cafeteria and sit down, but I was only semiconscious when the staff discovered something was wrong (I wasn't able to tell them anything was wrong when I first got there). They were giving me drinks of Mountain Dew with extra sugar added, and one of them called 911. When the medics got there, they gave me some really nasty tasting glucose gel, and took me to the hospital, and I was there for the rest of the day. It could have been a lot worse, but that is still not a fun way to end one of my favourite events.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:00:25 AM »

Adam,
Sorry to hear that happen, bu that has happened to me before on several occassions. It happened to me while I was at the hobby expo I told you about. The food court was all the way in the back and I was all the way in the front when I noticed something wasn't right. Getting to the back was the hard part.

The glucose gels never tasted good and haven't changed over the years.. The glucose tablets have come a long way, they taste better and come in different flavors. Carry a tube of those or some Lifesavers around. Those can get you by till you can get some food.

Do you have a Medic Alert type bracelet or necklace? That comes in handy when you can't talk

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 11:26:45 AM »

WOW that is some scary stuff.
I am glad it turned out ok in the end.

So did you get any good gun deals??

Ps.  i would carry lifesavers the name says it all i quess.
I hate to ask this but if you were alone in your home and this happened what is the outcome??
Would you snap out of it without any food at some point.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 12:29:18 PM »

I usually carry a few glucose tablets with me, but sometimes I forget to grab them when I leave. Take a wild guess which day was one of those forgetful times  :banghead;. I'm getting a keychain pill holder that will clip to my keys which are always with me. I can put a few glucose pill in it. As for gun deals, I did get an original 1938 Russian military rifle, two original bayonets, and two original cleaning kits and ammo pouches, all for $95. I'll post some pics in off-topic.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 01:39:58 PM »

I hate to ask this but if you were alone in your home and this happened what is the outcome??
Would you snap out of it without any food at some point.

That had happen to me on many occassions and the experience is hard to describe when you wake up to one happening and it is a very low blood sugar. In that state I could not make/ my mind could not make out what I was like images where swirling around and I tried to see my way around. I couldn't always find the food I had stashed nearby and couldn't get up to walk. I crawled downstairs which took time and at times falling back to sleep, but eventually making it downstairs and somehow finding the cupboard and grabbing at anything I could to eat. That usually caused a mess. For some reason I knew how to call  my moms work, who then called 911. The next hard part was making it to the door to unlock it.

It is like your in a state of confusion with head spinning and not knowing what is going on, what your seeing, so you rely on instinct and memory. I also had it happen while driving right after a doctors appointment and checking bs there. Luckily I did not hit anyone.

Not sure how other react to low blood sugar in various stages of diabetes. It was different when I was younger.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 03:47:40 PM »

What happened to the rifle,while you went to the hospital?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 07:09:04 PM »

Good Point.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 07:17:40 PM »

Oh my! How scary. I am always scared this will happen to me too. So far I start to feel it when my bs is 85 or so.

I'm glad they figured out to give you something with sugar.

This happens a lot to my mother and I'm afraid one day, no one will be home to monitor her.

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 07:22:39 PM »

What happened to the rifle,while you went to the hospital?
My dad called right around the time this happened, to let me know he was on his way to pick me up (the show was ending in a half hour or so when all this started), and I think one of the police officers answered him and told him what was going on. arrangements were made for my dad to pick up my rifle and other stuff from the police when he got there. So my rifle and other belongings were waiting for me at home when they released me from the hospital.

Adam

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 08:24:58 PM »

It happens to a lot of diabetics, even regular people that we try to prepare so much that sometimes we forget about it till it's to late.

Can't wait to see pics .

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

mikey07840
Elite Member

Her royal highness Queen Ruth on her throne, RIP

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 11:10:15 PM »

Sorry you had this episode. I know when I have a low, I feel like I am going to die. There is no other description that explains how I feel.
Hang in there!

06/85 Diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes
10/04 Radical Nephrectomy (Kidney Cancer or renal cell carcinoma)
02/08 Started Hemodialysis
04/08 Started Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
05/08 Started CCPD (my cycler: The little box of alarms)
07/09 AV Fistula and Permacath added, PD catheter removed. PD discontinued and Hemodialysis resumed
08/09 AV Fistula redone higher up on arm, first one did not work
07/11 Mass found on remaining kidney
08/11 Radical Nephrectomy, confirmed that mass was renal cell carcinoma
12/12 Whipple, mass on pancreas confirmed as renal cell carcinoma

• Don't Knock on Death's door; Ring the bell and run away. Death hates that.

• I'm not a complete Idiot -- some parts are missing.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 01:11:46 AM »

I have been having quite a few episodes recently.  they even had to send for food for me while on dialysis because of my low sugar.   I don't understand why it has been happening.  I haven't even been taking any diabetic medication.  I eat a good  breakfast, but by 10 a.m. I have to drink something or everything starts to blurr in front of me with dark and shiny things swirling - a very strange feeling.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 03:57:37 AM »

I have been having quite a few episodes recently.  they even had to send for food for me while on dialysis because of my low sugar.   I don't understand why it has been happening.  I haven't even been taking any diabetic medication.  I eat a good  breakfast, but by 10 a.m. I have to drink something or everything starts to blurr in front of me with dark and shiny things swirling - a very strange feeling.

Do you have an endocronologist (sp?), Endo doc bajanne? I would ask your doctor about this to rule anything out such as an over active pancreas. You could just be hypoglycemic and not a diabetic. An endo doc specializes in that firld with the pancreas function.

Good Luck bajanne

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Leon

Daughter (Shawna), Me, Wife (Juanita) 2003

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 10:06:23 AM »

I have low blood sugar attacks about 3 times a week.  So far, it has never gotten below 46.  I have been fortunate that I carry my glucometer everywhere with me along with a full tube of glucose tablets.  If I am at home, I keep banana's and apples and prefer to solve with the fruit.  If I am traveling, it's glucose tablets.  Fortunately, I get the sweats and shaky before I hit bottom.  I have noticed that my blood sugar is lower and lower over the years.  I used to get shaky around 70.  Now it's around 50.  They make an injectable that works too but I have not figured out how I would inject if I was so out of it that I could not eat the tablets.  I have not tried the gel yet.  Anyway, stay prepared.  My Endocrinologist tells me that untreated, you can die.  The brain needs glucose.  The thing I hate the most though is the muscle cramping that follows.  I liken it to having been electrocuted.  Not that I have been electrocuted but it's what I imagine.

Leon

Leon
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 12:48:01 AM »

I have low blood sugar attacks about 3 times a week.  So far, it has never gotten below 46.  I have been fortunate that I carry my glucometer everywhere with me along with a full tube of glucose tablets.  If I am at home, I keep banana's and apples and prefer to solve with the fruit.  If I am traveling, it's glucose tablets.  Fortunately, I get the sweats and shaky before I hit bottom.  I have noticed that my blood sugar is lower and lower over the years.  I used to get shaky around 70.  Now it's around 50.  They make an injectable that works too but I have not figured out how I would inject if I was so out of it that I could not eat the tablets.  I have not tried the gel yet.  Anyway, stay prepared.  My Endocrinologist tells me that untreated, you can die.  The brain needs glucose.  The thing I hate the most though is the muscle cramping that follows.  I liken it to having been electrocuted.  Not that I have been electrocuted but it's what I imagine.

Leon

Are you talking about the Glucagon injection? If so, that's a last resort use and not meant as a self injection. It is meant for others to give in a non responcive person who can not swallow anything safely. Hopefully you are eating carbohydrates and some protein to help maintain the blood sugar afterwards.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 07:51:24 AM »

Leon, have you looked into the continuous glucose monitors?  I know someone who can't feel the lows, and she's got one.  It checks her sugar constantly, and alarms if it is dropping too low.  It's really a life-saver.  She uses that with an insulin pump now, and has really good control.  Check with your doctor and your insurance; the monitor might be covered for you.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »