I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 02:44:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  I've started volunteering at my centre
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I've started volunteering at my centre  (Read 5106 times)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« on: April 23, 2009, 06:26:13 PM »

Because I have absolutely nothing to do during the day (when I'm not dialyzing), I've started going into my centre to talk to patients and help the staff. Because it's a home training unit, it's a more laid back atmosphere which I really enjoy. I've been doing this off and on for the last six months or so, but I'm now an official volunteer in Davita's "village greeter" program. Primarily what I do is greet new patients, give advise about my experiences with home dialysis to staff and patients, and other similar things. If a patient want's to talk about something about their experience, but they want to only talk with another patient, I'm there to talk to them. I'm finding that this is a perfect opportunity for home dialysis advocacy because I work with the in-centre patients as well as the home patients. There are things about Davita that I don't like, but I think this volunteer program is an awesome idea, despite it's corny name. I guess I'm sipping a little of that "Duh-vita kool-aid", but oh well. I want to be able to actually work in a dialysis centre, and maybe this volunteering will help me reach that goal.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 06:31:45 PM »

Hello, Adam,
This sounds like a really good program. Your post gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.  :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup;

Congratulations, Adam. You are doing something great.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
rocker

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:36:38 PM »

That is wonderful.  It can be pretty awful to just sit around all day.  You are helping others, and yourself at the same time!  Made of win.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 06:56:39 PM »

Good for you Adam!  You will be a great help to new patients.  Volunteering is always a good thing. 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 07:00:17 PM »

That's very cool!   Good for you!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 07:05:25 PM »

Good for you Adam...I'm sure all your patients appreciate you.    :cheer:

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 08:03:51 PM »

Gee, I wish my center had such a "village greeter" program, but they don't.  I know I would have liked to have talked with some more experienced patients during my first few months there.

Maybe I'll suggest that they start one.
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 12:07:02 AM »

Well done Adam, I'm sure you will be helping a lot of people feel less apprehensive about dialysis.  This is the sort of thing that would be so useful in all centres.  Good luck and thank you for giving your time.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 02:07:05 AM »

That is great Adam.  People listen better to someone who has been through it. 

:cuddle;

Dan.Larrabee

Dialysis Dan

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 02:21:34 AM »

Way to go!!

I want everyone know that Adam greeted me, in a way, and gave me my first exposure to dialysis a long time ago and long before I every went to the center or started home dialysis. He made me realize that I wanted home dialysis and made it possible. I new what I wanted it and even new a little on how to use it because of Adam. This gave my doc the warm and fuzzy that I could do this at home. I am sure a few IHDers did not know that Adam is the one on You Tube with his NxStage machine. Go there and he will “Village greet” you.

Way to go Adam, a great job for you.

AKA Dialysis Dan
Feeling the best I can because of Home Hemo
Doing it the best way I can by making it Nocturnal
Sharing it to help everyone feel they best they can
www.youtube.com/dialysisdan
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 03:05:04 AM »

That's awesome!!! I have already put the feelers out with the local dialysis co-ordinator here about doing something similar, but she's not responded... They don't really seem to do it here as much although they DO run seminiars for new/potential patients each year and I've indicated that if I am available I would be more than happy to be involved as a current patient. I already know that if/when I get a transplant I would love to "give back" somehow by also being involved in those seminars, and have indicated as such to the co-ordinator.

At my unit they sometimes put new patients next to me if they think they could benefit from me. I am always happy to chat to "newbies" (specially if they're younger) and their families who come in. I hope I present a friendly face but also proof that dialysis is not the end and you can live with it and do OK along the lines.. and like Adam to provide some wisdom from my experience, but also reassurance that they will be OK. So far nobody's run screaming!! :)

I really hope I can get involved in seminars and the like because if I can pass on positive information and encouragement to those about to undergo dialysis I think it would be something very positive for *me* to do and help give something back.

So well done Adam!! It's a good feeling, isn't it?

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »