I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:22:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  great news !!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: great news !!!!!  (Read 2046 times)
BRANDY

« on: February 19, 2009, 03:13:14 PM »

:flower; :flower; great news to me .  I am at 19% as of Monday when I did tests. I was 14% and also very scared they were  going to tell me I was to go on dialysis soon.   I really dont know what made the diffrence tho.  My tests have fluctuated alot.  In maybe 5 months they were as following  24% Nov
21% Oct
16% Dec
14% Feb
Now 19% Feb
Why am I fluctuating so badly. I was feeling pretty bad, now I am not feeling to great either, I have to nap every day  sometimes I feel nausea. hair falling out bad, fingernails are awful. But Im not having problems with diabetes.My fistula they placed a week ago is doing fine. It seems to have a hard area at end of scar. I hear it and feel the  thrill sometimes  not allways .  does anyone  know whats up  has anyone else hear done this before?

Adapt and Overcome

Diabetic 1973
2000-clavical surgery
2000-rotor cuff surgery
2001- cervical surgery
2002 cervical surgery
2003 - cervical surgery
2004- lumbar surgery
2004 hysterectomy
2009-fistula placed
  Im diabetic with neuropathy, ckd ,bad back bad neck
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:28:19 PM »

:flower; :cheer: :flower; :yahoo;
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 04:16:19 PM »

I remember doing those tests.  The doc told me they fluctuate more because of what the lab does than what is happening with kidney function - apparently they are very sensitive tests.  (Don't know if that's true - it's just what I was told.)

When you get down to that little function, it's more about how you feel than an actual number anyhow.  Being tired and nauseated is expected.  When it gets to be too much to handle, then you should start, regardless of what the % says.  My doc also said that he had patients who started at 20% because they felt so lousy, and some who didn't start until 10% because they still felt okay. 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

staceyand joe92

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:27:54 PM »

My levels were like a rollercoaster for about a year ranging from 19%-12%.  My doc said that sometimes it happens and I should pay attention more to the way I feel instead of  what the test results were. I finally bottomed out at 7% after a bad kidney infection that put me in the hospital. I started dialysis about two weeks later.  I had all the same symptoms you mentioned. I would like to tell you that your hair will stop falling out , but mine hasn't. It has actually gotten worse with dialysis.  The other symptoms went away within a few months of being on dialysis.

PKD
in center dialysis 3/week 3 hours for 16 months
11/2008 transplant list (active)
6 living donors denied
12/2009 Kidney Transplant
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 09:47:38 PM »

BRANDY these tests can and often do fluctuate depending on when they are taken, how long ago you took your meds, your food intake.. all kinds of things. The important thing to remember is they are just numbers and as such a guide. You can have a GFR of 20 and feel terrible and it might be time for dialysis, or like me have a GFR of 5 and feel fine, but it was declared time. Your docs will monitor the numbers but also your general health and wellbeing - I mean if you feel nausea all the time and are throwing up they may start you no matter what the numbers say. Hang in there and remember to not base everything on the numbers..... and don't be surprised it went from 14 to 19.. but still it is encouraging that you're doing OK for now :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
BRANDY

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 04:57:42 PM »

Thanks for your replys. It does simplify it a little better, I think I understand now.

Adapt and Overcome

Diabetic 1973
2000-clavical surgery
2000-rotor cuff surgery
2001- cervical surgery
2002 cervical surgery
2003 - cervical surgery
2004- lumbar surgery
2004 hysterectomy
2009-fistula placed
  Im diabetic with neuropathy, ckd ,bad back bad neck
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 08:35:34 PM »

When I hit 17%, my function started fluctuating between 17 and 14% for a while. I think it's very common.

As far as your arm, mine has done the same thing. My doctor said that the swelling can move around. The hard areas may also be a hematoma, which is pooled blood. It will eventually go away.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
phey12

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 07:44:18 PM »

I'm so thankful that I'm not having that kind of feelings and disease.. So 14% is just common? Good luck, I know you can do it.

My aunt have survived kidney disease Dialysis Program is great!!

Phey,
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »