I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 10:25:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Get Shrink-Wrapped
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Get Shrink-Wrapped  (Read 1780 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: January 17, 2009, 08:27:22 AM »

Get Shrink-Wrapped
Friday, January 16, 2009

It sounds like a deal with the devil. Hand over $125, submit your body to a bizarre and almost medieval spa treatment, and one hour later ... voila! ... you're inches thinner. No carrot sticks or grueling workouts required. Like reaping the benefits of a year of Pilates in a single hour.

Well, if the devil is handing out deals like that, we're in. So when Suddenly Slender, a new Baristanet advertiser, offered to let two of us try a treatment (which involves getting strapped and wrapped up like a mummy) for free, it was an offer we couldn't refuse. No matter what happened, we figured, it would make a good story...

Leave your hangups at the door, because body wrapping is not for the self-conscious. There's a lot of intimacy, but owner and alternative healing advocate Mary Davis is quick to calm any trepidation.

Here's the drill: enter a warm (un)dressing room, strip to your underwear, don a fuzzy robe, and take a nourishing magic mineral shot (tastes like apple/prune juice). Then Mary records your weight and 18 body measurements - to compare with the measurements she'll take after one hour in the body wrap. Now, it's time to wrap.

Ace bandages soaked in a hot mineral solution that's supposed to leach out the bad contaminants are tightly wrapped around your entire body, toe to head, transforming you into a mummy-like creature. It's tight, stiff, very strange. We've got plastic bags on feet and hands to catch the toxin run-off, and we don a plastic poncho to keep warm. We're a frightful sight walking into the exercise room. Oh, yeah, you gotta move around for the next hour...There's a low-tech cross trainer, mini tramp, giant vibrating machine. The wet bandages do get cold, (we did this on the two coldest days of the year) so we both spent a lot of time in the 140 degree infra-red sauna, watching a flat screen TV through the window.

Even though we were "brining", every 20 minutes, we got basted like a Thanksgiving turkey with the natural mineral potion. We're thinking...this better be worth it.

The results: Instant gratification.

We went on separate days, one in the afternoon, one in the morning. On the scale, we both lost exactly the same: 1.4 pounds each. The measuring tape showed an overall reduction of 9.7 inches for me, 9.6 inches for Deb, but since there are 18 measurements, that's an average of about half an inch lost overall. My biggest inch loss was a whole inch off each upper thigh, and half an inch off my middle - Hooray! Deb's big loss was 1.3 inches off each upper thigh, and slightly over a half inch off the mid thigh - Woo-hoo!

Davis professes therapeutic benefits of the wraps - chasing away aches and pains. The various wraps are said to be particularly effective for individuals with joint pain, rheumatoid arthritis, or who are undergoing dialysis and chemotherapy. Davis says there's the added benefit (for some the primary benefit) of lifting, toning, tightening and reducing inches. It's not about water loss, Davis insists, its about detoxifying, and if you don't go binging, the results of the wrap should last. In just 6-10 wrap sessions, she says, you could drop a whole dress size.

So is it real? Well, we'd like to think that it is, that the hour each of us spent shivering in our mummy wraps jump started our diets and got us on the way to the slender new bodies we really want. We can tell you this for sure: we each shed a little weight, it didn't kill us and we have a heck of a good story to tell at dinner parties.

Prices start at $45 for an Ionic Detox Footbath to $85 for face taping (a non-surgical lift), to $179 for the Dream Body lay-down wrap. We both got the Slender Tone wrap, which is now on special for $125.
Posted by Annette Batson on January 16, 2009 2:41 PM

http://www.baristanet.com/2009/01/the_baristas_wrap_up.php

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 08:38:32 AM »

I have a friend that owns a franchise. She is an RN and believes in this.  She has offered many times to "wrap" me saying it will help me feel better.  She wraps her children when they have a cold or flu.  I just don't know.   Maybe if I was going to an Inaugural Ball and needed to fit in a certain dress  :rofl;    I would love to hear from any members who have done this.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 01:04:26 AM »

My sister in ND gets this done monthly.  She says it's her day away from everything and she loves it.  I myself don't know and could not afford it anyway.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 11:53:14 AM »

Ummm I personally didn't do it, but was part of doing it to someone at work. We shrink wrapped a coworker to a chair as he slept on the job in the trucking department. and then put shipping labels on him :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 01:14:54 PM »

:rofl;   :rofl;   :rofl;   :rofl;   :rofl;   :rofl;  OH, I so wanted to see that.....     :rofl;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »