I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 04:28:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  actual dialysis biller here
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: actual dialysis biller here  (Read 9419 times)
dialysisbiller

« on: February 14, 2009, 01:55:10 PM »

After reading so many posts, I decided to join the board to offer up help to anyone who may need it. Insurance issues or billing questions, I might be able to help out.

:thx;
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 01:57:02 PM »

I'm sure you will get plenty of response. Thanks for stepping up. Now get a rope... :rofl;
Dan.Larrabee

Dialysis Dan

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 02:05:06 PM »

You guys and gals do such a great job, I don't even know how much it cost to be on dialysis. Between my insurance and medicare, i don't pay anything out of pocket. What does it cost the average person to be on dialysis monthly?
 :thx;

AKA Dialysis Dan
Feeling the best I can because of Home Hemo
Doing it the best way I can by making it Nocturnal
Sharing it to help everyone feel they best they can
www.youtube.com/dialysisdan
dialysisbiller

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 02:14:45 PM »

if you add up the cost of the actual center, including rent/lease, staff and supplies (dont forget the behind the scenes people like me!)

there is ALOT of behind the scenes that most don't understand and that is why there are specialized people that do it. (Hence all the paper pushing that needs to go on at the center level)

I can't give actual dollars because it would depend on the size of the center. I handle a few large centers and a couple of smaller ones.
Dan.Larrabee

Dialysis Dan

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »

I am actually on home hemo dialysis. They told me that they bill my insurance the same amount and it did not matter if i was in the center or at home. Its interesting that you bill different per size of center. its as though you get a quantity discount if you are in a center with a large number of patients. If you can explain this, I am sure a few of us would be interested.. If I had any of out of pocket expense, it sounds like I may want to move to the largest, or smallest center as possible.  ??? ???

AKA Dialysis Dan
dialysisbiller

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 02:30:06 PM »

no no, it's no different with the size of the center for billing ... reimbursement(money rec'd from the insurance) is same if you have 5 patients at the center or 105 patients. If you have more patients you have more bills, less patients, less bills. It's a difficult balancing act to say the least, trying not to give up quality care when money is not coming in to support it. Most don't fully understand the business side of it and really do think the medical industry is all about profit, it is and it ISNT. You can't give quality care if you can't afford to hire enough people to staff the center. That's just one look, course then there's the whole insurance circus, and I mean circus.
Dan.Larrabee

Dialysis Dan

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 06:44:28 PM »

So how much is billed for the advrage dialysis patient on a monthly basis?

AKA Dialysis Dan
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 09:09:30 PM »

There was a law suit filed last year that finally put some numbers into the public record
http://www.billpeckham.com/from_the_sharp_end_of_the/2008/01/law-suit-reveal.html

"Blue Cross has received charges from National Renal for dialysis treatments that range from $2,000 to $9,000 per treatment."

That's the revenue side of the equation. For the cost data there was a recently released report from the National Renal Administrators
http://www.billpeckham.com/from_the_sharp_end_of_the/2008/12/dialysis-cost-data-shows-ldos-have-large-purchasing-advantages.html

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Dan.Larrabee

Dialysis Dan

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 09:21:28 PM »

Thanks Bill!
Boxman started a thread "$19,919.00 man that's a bunch" and it got me curious as to the advrage for each of us. It seamed as though everyone is charged so differently.

Maybe dialysisbiller could shed some light.

AKA Dialysis Dan
dialysisbiller

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 05:47:34 AM »

and medicare only reimburses less than that....not a pretty picture
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 06:13:07 AM »

There was a law suit filed last year that finally put some numbers into the public record
http://www.billpeckham.com/from_the_sharp_end_of_the/2008/01/law-suit-reveal.html

"Blue Cross has received charges from National Renal for dialysis treatments that range from $2,000 to $9,000 per treatment."

That's the revenue side of the equation. For the cost data there was a recently released report from the National Renal Administrators
http://www.billpeckham.com/from_the_sharp_end_of_the/2008/12/dialysis-cost-data-shows-ldos-have-large-purchasing-advantages.html

On the supply side cost.  Is that just the cost of the necessary medical supplies?

Do you know if the other associated costs are figured into the supplies average?  Such as power, water, heat,  building rental, machine maintenance and new purchases of equipment etc. etc.?
dialysisbiller

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 06:50:56 AM »

Thanks Bill!
Boxman started a thread "$19,919.00 man that's a bunch" and it got me curious as to the advrage for each of us. It seamed as though everyone is charged so differently.

Standard charge amount for a single dialysis treatment is approx $1,400. (again, this does not reflect the actual amount reimbursed) Medicare allows a fraction of that, on average Medicare will actually allow $140. Commercial private insurance, that depends on the indiviidual policy plan. On rare occasions the reimbursement might be 100% but that's RARE. Some contracted insurance plans are 50% and some are flat inclusive fees of 30-40%. That is for incenter hemo. Home Hemo is usually the same as well as an ultrafiltration treatment.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 10:33:02 AM »

On the supply side cost.  Is that just the cost of the necessary medical supplies?

Do you know if the other associated costs are figured into the supplies average?  Such as power, water, heat,  building rental, machine maintenance and new purchases of equipment etc. etc.?

It's a good question. The Avalere report those number are drawn from does not specifically say but I don't see why overhead would be excluded. It could be included in a factor that they use to increase the other categories. For instance they might be multiplying everything by 1.07 to assign overhead but you think they would say that or footnote it in the report. But from what I know the total would be in line with what I expect would be total allowed costs per treatment.

I know that for MedPAC's purposes when they project a negative margin for SDOs they're using allowed costs which would include what you listed but not bad debt or the Medical Director's fee.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 10:38:36 AM »

Thanks Bill!

Standard charge amount for a single dialysis treatment is approx $1,400. (again, this does not reflect the actual amount reimbursed) Medicare allows a fraction of that, on average Medicare will actually allow $140. Commercial private insurance, that depends on the indiviidual policy plan. On rare occasions the reimbursement might be 100% but that's RARE. Some contracted insurance plans are 50% and some are flat inclusive fees of 30-40%. That is for incenter hemo. Home Hemo is usually the same as well as an ultrafiltration treatment.

Here is my breakdown of the standard unit payer mix. DB does this match your experience? Can you tell us what the State Medicaid policies are where you work?

In general terms 50%; 25%; 10%; 10%.
50% Medicare primary/ private insurance secondary
25% Medicare Primary/ Medicaid secondary
10% Medicaid
10% Private insurance

dialysisbiller

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 03:02:03 PM »

That is going to depend on the state. It's based on a state level then, some states are absolutely horrible, others not so bad. Billing procedures are hard to keep up with on a state level as they change quarterly. We have a department that specializes in each financial class for keeping up with all the changes. It's a tough job.

The break down is good tho

keep in mind, Medicare has an allowed amount, even if private is secondary, we get no more than what medicare has allowed, Medicare pays 80% of allowed then private or other secondary pays 20% of that allowed, sometimes patients if they only have medicare and no supplimentary policy.

nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 03:10:27 PM »

Remember, Medicare reimburses LESS than the treatment costs.  Every treatment loses money.  Medicare IS going up on reimbursement rates, but still won't cover the toral cost of treatment plus meds.  Good to have you here,Biller.  You will be a good help, and You will learn alot, as I have.  Great group to be a part of. :flower;

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
dialysisbiller

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 03:16:02 PM »

thanks... glad to meet you too, I am looking forward to getting a chance to spend at a facility to see faces attached to names that I see daily.

I see there are strong opinions here, and enjoy that, to know how people really feel about dialysis as a whole.

You seem like a terrific FA and would some day enjoy a chat with you if you didn't mind.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »