I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 06:33:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  A funny/strange dream I had
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A funny/strange dream I had  (Read 4980 times)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« on: January 18, 2009, 07:16:18 PM »

Just thought I'd share this quickly with everyone.

I woke up at around 0545 yesterday after quite an odd dream I had. Now usually if I have a dream that I could call Dialysis related it's usually something involves big gulps of iced water or maybe how I'd do things post successful transplant etc... but this dream was odd and I didn't really go to bed thinking about transplants or the like so it was unusual.

So here's what I dreamed:

I was in a hospital room.. not the O.R. but a room just off it. I was surrounded by doctors in their gowns and masks and suddenly a door opens and another comes in and exclaims "It's finally here!" and puts down in front of me a kidney. Now I KNEW it was a kidney from the context and all (and because it was a dream of course!) but what was odd was the kidney was packed in a meat tray and wrapped in plastic like it was at the supermarket!! Complete with a little label on it with a barcode (no, no price that I could see  :rofl;). So I ask the docs can they tell me anything about the donor and they read off the label like it's a list of ingredients and tell me it's a 30 year old male who died in a hotel swimming pool (!) and then all the doctors start laughing and cracking jokes like "Well we better stay away from THAT hotel!" and stuff...

and then I woke up. Very surreal.

Go figure...

but if I'm offered a kidney from a 30 year old male anytime soon I might just freak out.. or ask if a swimming pool or hotel was involved!!  :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 07:38:02 PM »

Well regardless if someone passes away and offers a kidney to you, take it.  :)  Sometimes part of a dream can be a sign.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 08:14:10 PM »

Well yes I intend to swim in a few hotel pools on my travels (and I don't give a rats who stares at my scar!) should the tx happen so... who knows!!

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 09:26:44 PM »

Well yes I intend to swim in a few hotel pools on my travels (and I don't give a rats who stares at my scar!) should the tx happen so... who knows!!

I say, let 'em stare at your scar!  After all, there's nothing wrong with educating people, right?  Tell them what you've been through, and then they see you living in up while traveling and swimming in a luxurious hotel swimming pool (just don't do dead man's float!) and just think of the possibilities of what you can put in their minds!  Nothing wrong with that, hey?

Karen

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 09:44:22 PM »

not really on topic  but in my mind the other week I did design a tshirt I would have made up after my transplant(whenever that might be)

on the front something like "DONATED ORGAN INSIDE" and maybe an arrrow pointing down to.. well.. ahem my crotch.. maybe point it to the or right depending on where the scar is :)

on the back: "Kidney Transplant on <date>" and "Please consider becoming an Organ Donor"

and wear it lots!

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 09:47:57 PM »

You know that I think this is your year.  Maybe this is the first sign.  Keep your mind open and receptive.  I will keep thinking positive thoughts and crossing fingers.  I believe in signs.  And I believe in you.   2009 is the year!!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:06:30 PM »

:bandance; :bandance;

It may be a sign Richy. I can only hope this is one dream that comes true.    :cuddle;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 06:20:09 AM »

I don't know about signs and I *do* know that you (Wattle) deserve it ahead of me.. and I'm sure there are many others of the 1300 odd waiting here that definitely deserve it ahead of me.

To be honest I'm trying my best to not get swept up in everyone saying they think it's my year and all that. Not that I don't apprieciate it or anything.. I totally do :) :) :) but what I mean is that if I start to believe it and nothing happens by the end of December what a massive let down that would be? So I'm just trying to take things day by day, session by session.. if the call comes it will be an awesome surprise... but if it doesn't I don't want to sit there thinking "but but... this is supposed to be my year.. where is it??" because that's not fair or right.

I'm sure when the universe intends it to happen it will happen.. until then I just plug on annoying you lot with crazy dreams and the like  :rofl;

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 06:57:41 AM »

:grouphug;

Jess21

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 12:07:46 PM »

wow, and I thought the dream I had about a week ago was weird...thanks for making me feel that I'm not the only crazy one!  :bandance;

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 12:14:12 PM »

RM..
   I am a firm believer in dreams and the information they bring us.
Take it as a good sign and a little boost to keep you going through
the tough times.  Positive thoughts are the BEST medicine!
   On another note....are you trying to tell us that there wasn't
even one hottie nurse in this dream?  Come on man, we KNOW you!
Much love!   :rofl;

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 03:28:59 PM »

wow, and I thought the dream I had about a week ago was weird...thanks for making me feel that I'm not the only crazy one!  :bandance;

Jess you realise you HAVE to spill your dream now. SHARE!!!! :)

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 03:33:30 PM »

RM..
   I am a firm believer in dreams and the information they bring us.
Take it as a good sign and a little boost to keep you going through
the tough times.  Positive thoughts are the BEST medicine!
   On another note....are you trying to tell us that there wasn't
even one hottie nurse in this dream?  Come on man, we KNOW you!
Much love!   :rofl;

Sadly no hotties.. they were all male doctors (my dreamscape is clearly sexist?!!) that I was aware of in the dream, though only a couple of them actually spoke so I suppose some of the people standing around could have been female.. but everyone was in scrubs with masks and haircaps and all that so you couldn't tell really what was what.. and I realise this seems unusual for me (I did say it was strange!! :) ) I wasn't focusing on girls!!!  :rofl;

maybe the followup will be some hotties help me recover from my surgery... ha ha yeah I wish.

I guess though the whole transplant medical thing is something I don't associate with that other side of me (the flirty side that likes girls :) ) so it sort of makes sense I wouldn't dream that. I think it stems from the fact that I don't have any attractive young nurses (shh don't let them hear that!!!) in my unit (they are all absolutely lovely though!) and the best looking gal that comes there is the evil dietician!!  :rofl; So yeah it's all a bit hard lol.

Anyway who needs dream hotties when I have my IHD gals who are all real???  :shy;

paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 05:08:25 PM »

That is so weird that you had a transplant dream, because I had one last night too! I've been chatting with 2 people on Facebook who live in the Dayton area (like me) who have had kidney/pancreas transplants. Both of them had really bad experiences at OSU, where I am in the process of listing. One almost bled to death because of an incompetent nurse, the other one had a friend go through the same thing. That person ended up dying after her transplant, as did one of her other friends. Paris was also telling me what she knew about OSU, which was making me uneasy as well. I have been getting increasingly uncomfortable with my decision to list at OSU (also based on a few experiences I've had with them). Anyway, both of the people I've been talking to had their transplants done at the University of Cincinnati and have nothing but great things to say about their transplant program. Well, last night, I dreamed that OSU was killing all of their transplant patients, and I was next in line for a transplant (waiting on a ship for some reason)! I woke up this morning really freaked out. I called my neph first thing and asked him to refer me to UC!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 06:48:54 PM »

I, too, am a big, big, big believer in dreams giving you "hints" into life.  I'm not real good at putting them together at first.  Usually, the thing has to occur before I say "I had a dream...".

Has anyone here had a lucid dream?  I have and I loved it!  It was so amazingly real.  I knew I was dreaming and was even moving my eyes around to see if I would wake up.  It was more like watching a very real movie.  The dream was a cartoon - one that I'd never seen before.  Really strange little cartoon characters - not cartoon animals, but not humans either.  Anyway, I had gone to Barnes and Knowbles later that afternoon to purchase a book and while standing in the line to pay I looked down at a table of books and there was that strange little cartoon family!  To this day I'm pissed I didn't buy the book!  I've gone back to look for it, but can't remember what the characters look like now!

RichardMel, write down your dream in as much detail as you can!!!!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 07:27:40 PM »

Paddbear, do more research on OSU.  Don't rule out any possibility.   UNC does about 70 transplants a year and then I found out that CMC does over three times that many.  It depends on if it is a teaching university, what their focus is, their grants.  So many factors and every center is different.  Get listed at more than one center.  It isn't very hard.  With a kidney/pancreas the wait will be shorter than just a kidney  (usually).   I will see what information and statistics I can find for you.   What does your neph think?   Mine did research for me and really helped with listing options.  Keep asking lots of questions and the answers will come to you.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 08:11:29 PM »

I had done plenty of research when I first started this whole process. OSU had great stats, but after talking with 2 of their past patients, both of who happen to live in my town, and both had near death experiences, I am very concerned. I'm going to stay listed, but my one friend is going to help speed up the process for me by speaking with the coordinator and surgeons there. And my neph is definitely going to recommend UC, because he's with Christ Hospital, which is merged with UC's transplant center! UC is also a great hospital. They were going to be my second choice, but at the time, my neph was at OSU. And I plan on staying listed at OSU too. I'll just be praying I get called by UC first!!

Sorry to have veered off topic!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 08:40:28 PM »

Hope your dream progresses for you RM.
I have had nothing but freaky dreams the last few weeks.  Who knows.  :rofl;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Jess21

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 09:02:14 PM »

Jess you realise you HAVE to spill your dream now. SHARE!!!! :)

*sigh* lol
Well, I dreamt that I got a call not from my transplant center, but from my local hospital, that they may have a kidney for me.  I went to the local hospital, and they decided to take out my old kidneys ( :o ) there.  Then I got sent home to wait for my transplant center to call me.  :o  So there I was, just sitting at home, feeling lighter cause I had no kidneys waiting for a phone call.
Then I woke up.  Funny thing was I had pulled a muscle in my back the day before..right by my kidneys..so when I woke up, my back DID hurt. So confused!!!! I didn't move for about 5 mins!

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 10:49:43 PM »

Jess: thanks for sharing *gentle hug for your sore back*  :cuddle;

Maybe all these odd dreams are to do with the seasons, or GWB leaving the oval office, or the moon and tides or something. How odd.

Sometimes I do experience something and have sort of deja vu feelings like I'd dreamed it before or something which can be eerie. I guess the mind is a powerful thing.

Still no call though - though my phone did go off at 4am this morning but it was a text about Obama!  :rofl; :)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »