I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 06:27:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Yikes - Debit Card was stolen
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yikes - Debit Card was stolen  (Read 3330 times)
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« on: January 13, 2009, 10:47:17 AM »

This past Friday, Rob and my son went to all-in-one bowling alley/arcade/pizza place (I had girls night, yeah!).  He used his debit card and left it at the pizza place by mistake  :Kit n Stik;, but didn't realize it until this morning.  I looked at our account online and noticed there were 2 debits that looked very odd, so I called the bank.  Turns out someone took Rob's debit card, instead of leaving it in the safe box and used it that night and the next night.  They went to a nightclub about 3 towns away from us.  I'm so mad!   :banghead; that someone did this to us.  Thankfully we caught it and we cancelled the card today.  We filed a claim with the bank and we'll be able to get the money back, in about a week or so.  Seriously though, what the hell are you doing for $343 at a nightclub???  Those must be some drinks!  After that, I sat here fuming still, so I called the Police in the town where it happened.  The Detective was super nice and is going to contact the pizza place to look at their surveilance camera and the night club's too.  They are hoping that they can figure out who did it and arrest them.  I hope they catch the person and they go to jail!

I'm so mad though.  I know it happens all the time, but sometimes people just suck!  I could never do that to another person at all.  Heck, about 3 years ago I was behind a woman in a drive-up atm and she left her card in the atm ready for another transaction.  Unfortunately she left before I was able to get it to her, but I made sure that I brought it into the bank when I was done with my transaction.  I hope Karma kicks this person in the butt!

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:28:04 PM »

Well first you had girls night  :clap;  and dad and son had pizza night.
Off to a great start.

Yes some people are IDIOTS and do stupid things.  I am sorry this happened to you.  But like you i believe in karma.  So the yahoos who did this will get theres.  I am glad you got it taken care of.
As for spending $300 at a club.   Easy to do, well in my younger days anyhows.
Hopefully the police will be able to use some video to capture who ever did this.
P&K

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:32:37 PM »

My son managed to lose his wallet twice in the last 6 months, with id cards, debit card, gift cards, cash, school ids, picture of his mom (not!).  Luckily his debit card wasn't used, but no one returned the wallet the first time and so far not this time either (just lost last Saturday). 

After the first incident I read an "advice from a lawyer" e-mail sent by someone at work.  It recommends filing a police report about a lost or stolen wallet because it shows "due diligence" to the banks in case your debit card or credit card is used by someone else. 

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 07:39:24 PM »

I lost a wallet once with everything including $800.00 cash and never received anything back. I know the feeling, now I have my wallet chained to me.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:52:27 PM »

Like this?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 08:00:46 AM »

Seriously though, what the hell are you doing for $343 at a nightclub??? 

Um, lap dances???

Sorry this happened to you as it is such a violation.
skyedogrocks

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 08:49:23 AM »

Seriously though, what the hell are you doing for $343 at a nightclub??? 

Um, lap dances???

Sorry this happened to you as it is such a violation.

:rofl; :rofl;

The best part of this whole thing was the CS Rep from our bank.  When I told her over the phone that these weren't our charges and that Rob was never at this nightclub she asked "Are you sure?".  I said I was pretty darn sure and told her Rob is in kidney failure and staying out until 1:15 am would never occur to him.  She said, well you never know!  Are you kidding me?  I then said, he was sleeping next to me!  Thankfully, the CS Rep that Rob had was a lot brighter!

Made us laugh though!

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 03:39:07 PM »

I don't understand WHO pays for these charges.  The person who loses the card doesn't pay and the person usually gets away with all the purchases.  Who ends up paying?

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 03:45:02 PM »

We all pay..the banks raise their fees instead of finding the culprit and taking it out of their hide.   :Kit n Stik;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
skyedogrocks

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »

Well, right now the bank will pay us back.  The Detective that we are working with is awesome and he found the guy he thinks it could be in the surveillance tapes from the pizza place and then contacted the nightclub to see if they had tapes.  He also called the guy he suspects at home and was waiting for his call back.  If it is the guy, they will charge him and he will have to pay the bank back.  Here's hoping it happens!

2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 09:53:38 AM »

Sorry you had to go thru this.  People are really  :sir ken;
at times.

I once found someone's card at the bank ATM also, and
I brought it into the bank manager's office, who thanked
me profoundly.

I believe that if you leave your card at the machine, after
a certain amount of minutes the maching will " eat" the
card for safekeeping now.

Thankfully, they did not have a lot of purchases on it by the
time you knew it was MIA.  It would just have been a worse
headache!

Anne
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 01:28:46 PM »

Some of the cost of using credit and debit cards is paid by the business that agrees to accept them.  My husband, who is a small business, takes MC and VISA and he pays a percentage of sales to the bank service that handles his charges.  A business may or may not raise their prices to account for this.  My husband doesn't raise his on the rationale that he sells more if he takes credit and debit cards. 

I assume that a part of this giant pot of money the banks collect goes to pay for charges by dishonest folks.  But, I'm guessing that the amount they can't recover because of charges to stolen cards is a drop in the bucket relative to the percentage of sales they get each day. They probably think of it as the cost of doing business. 

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 01:31:38 PM »

I assume that a part of this giant pot of money the banks collect goes to pay for charges by dishonest folks.  But, I'm guessing that the amount they can't recover because of charges to stolen cards is a drop in the bucket relative to the percentage of sales they get each day. They probably think of it as the cost of doing business. 

That's how I feel about it.  :waving;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »