I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 08:40:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  A blood drive for Darby - Child needs a kidney transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A blood drive for Darby - Child needs a kidney transplant  (Read 1975 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 29, 2008, 11:38:43 PM »

A blood drive for Darby
Child needs a kidney transplant

By LORI LAW

At 6, bright-eyed, redheaded Darby Bolyard loves music, princesses, the color pink, going to kindergarten and, most especially, butterflies. Described as outgoing and a happy child, Darby has won the hearts of those around her and her community is proving it by rallying to her aid as she faces a serious medical challenge. Darby was born with ARPKD, autosomal polycystic kidney disease, and is in need of a kidney transplant.

The Crooksville High School will hold a blood drive in Darby's honor from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 9. Lori Gaitton, American Red Cross donor recruitment representative, said this blood drive, organized by Louissa Summers and her advanced biology students at Crooksville High School, looks to be the biggest of all Perry County blood drives to date with a goal of 100 units.

"The blood that is being collected will be in Darby's honor," Gaitton explained, "raising awareness for the need for blood for patients like Darby as well as for everyday patients like cancer patients, trauma patients and for the family to bring awareness for their need for a kidney donor. This will be the biggest blood drive we have ever attempted in Perry County."

Community Bank in Crooksville will see that every one who donates receives a ticket for that evening's rivalry basketball game, as Crooksville takes on New Lexington.

Darby's mother, Jacqueline Bolyard, is the principal of Crooksville High School and was recognized among this year's Hometown Heroes by the American Red Cross for reviving a New Lexington fan at last year's basketball game.

"Hopefully the New Lex fans will remember (her) and come to the blood drive and help out," Gaitton said.

Prospective donors must be at least 17 years older, weigh at least 110 pounds and be in generally good health. Type O blood products are most in demand, but people of all blood types are encouraged to donate.For more information or to schedule an appointment, call (740) 982-7015 until Dec. 19 or call 1-800-GIVE LIFE after the 19th or visit www.givelife.org.
Searching for a donor

While the blood drive is in honor of Darby, the search for a donor is separate. Those interested in being tested to be a living kidney donor for Darby can begin the process by knowing their blood type, which is given routinely at blood drive events. Darby's type is O positive. Donor candidates must be between the ages of 18 and 52 and willing to undergo tissue testing and a health assessment. Forms and more information will be available at the blood drive.

"The time for a kidney transplant for Darby is now," Jacqueline Bolyard said, "My husband, Doug, does match her blood type, however, he cannot donate. I do not match at all. It is very frustrating and it was so upsetting when I found that I was not a match and when my husband found that he was not a candidate. We were right back to square one and wondering what do we do now?"

For now, Jacqueline says Darby is aware her kidneys are sick and that she will need a new one. She is upset at her dietary restrictions and when her school day is interrupted by doctor's appointments. The Bolyards were told of Darby's diagnoses when she was just 5 weeks old. "It has been a rollercoaster ride since she was first born. One minute you are up and the next minute you're down. You never quite know what's coming next. The last six years have been that way. Everything so far has worked out better than we had anticipated, though we got to some scary places before the light started to shine for us a little. We have been fortunate. We just try to keep that thought and take each day as it comes."

The students' blood drive effort has helped give Darby's parents hope.

"I have had a lot of people come to me and say that they would love to donate, but don't know their blood type," Jacqueline said. "Here is the possibility of a win/win for everybody. People can come donate blood so the Red Cross will benefit, the students will benefit by reaching their goal of a huge blood drive and that will give people the opportunity to find out their blood type without having to make a trip to the doctor. It was a way that everybody won and it gets the word out that Darby has a need. I mean, how do you go about finding a donor short of walking up to people and asking them if they've ever thought of organ donation? These students are so great and they are so excited to be doing something to help somebody. It has been overwhelming."

http://zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/article/20081226/NEWS01/812260302/1002

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »