I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 03:41:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Keep An Eye On Your Needle
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keep An Eye On Your Needle  (Read 2356 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 23, 2008, 11:58:11 PM »

Keep An Eye On Your Needle

KidneyTimes
EasyLink Access #: 312

By Jane Hurst, RN

As you know, being on hemodialysis is a crucial but complex procedure which involves a certain level of risk. As a dialysis patient you get used to keeping an eye out for infections, phosphate levels, and access complications. We can’t dwell too much on things which may happen, but a certain level of consciousness can help you feel on top of things. Venous needle dislodgement during hemodialysis is rare, but incidents do occur and they can have serious consequences. Do you know what to do should this happen to you?

Background

If the artery needle is dislodged during hemodialysis, the dialysis machine will stop within seconds. But if the venous needle is dislodged, the machine will often continue to draw the patient’s blood until the machine is turned off manually. Significant blood loss can occur when the venous needle becomes dislodged.  This is the reason dialysis patients must never cover their access arm under blankets or clothes. The access point must be visible for safety .

Dialysis equipment must, according to standards, provide a system to protect the patient from blood loss due to dislodgement of the venous needle. Although it is permissible that this requirement can be met by a built-in function in the dialysis machine called venous pressure monitoring, a better solution has long been requested by patients and medical staff. 

The fact that there is no adequate alarm to detect this dislodgement is often not known by patients or staff. Most believe that venous pressure monitoring will pick up the dislodgement. But in most cases, this alarm sounds too late, if at all.

Who’s at Risk?

Patients considered at high-risk for needle dislodgement have typically been those with a medical condition or behavior which causes restlessness.  Some sources estimate an increased risk during the last two hours of dialysis, when some patients become more restless.  No, or poor, visibility of the access site due to the patient occupying a single room or receiving nocturnal dialysis in wards with lights out are other factors that may affect the risk[1]

However, studies of incidents showed that the typical scenario of venous needle dislodgement episodes happened in apparently routine treatments and with fully staffed units.  In most reported episodes, there was no observed event that led to dislodgement of the needle[2]

It’s not all about the level of monitoring or methods of securing the needle.  A general raised awareness is also important. As renal failure continues to be a growing problem, dialysis clinics get busier.  The added difficulty of trying to keep an eye on the growing number of dialysis patients’ access sites to monitor for bleeding puts extra pressure on the staff.

What Can You Do?

If you’re in daytime hemodialysis, keep an eye on your venous needle and make sure it is visible to staff. Be aware that even a small piece of tape used to secure the needle may catch on your clothing, blanket, etc. causing the needle to pull or dislodge. Encourage staff to take extra care when taping the needle.  Check with your clinic regarding their routine for monitoring the venous access point (some units
check on regular intervals).

A new external blood loss detection device called Redsense, the first one which has been specifically developed to detect venous needle dislodgement, is available on the market. You could check whether it is used by your clinic.

Remember that incidents are rare but that you can make your treatment safer by being aware of risks as well as possibilities.

About the Author

Jane Hurst has been an RN for 28 years. She has experience in many medical specialties and areas of the hospital. In 1992, Jane started her legal nurse consulting business, RN Services Legal Nurse Consulting. She uses her experience and medical knowledge to assist attorneys, insurance companies, government agencies, and private corporations with all of their medical-legal needs. In addition to her business, Jane also travels across the country teaching in the largest, most well-respected training program for certified legal nurse consultants.

[1]Mactier, R.A & Worth, D. P. Minimizing the Risk of Venous Needle Dislodgement during Hemodialysis. The Artery, issue 41, 2007

[2]Sandroni S. Venous needle dislodgement during hemodialysis: An unresolved risk of catastrophic hemorrhage. Hemodialysis International 2005; 9:102 

http://www.kidneytimes.com/article.php?id=20081217152602

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 08:28:12 AM »

This is an all too real event.  Patients get cold, sleep, stay covered up, and if the needle dislodges, you could bleed to death (literally) before an alarm would sound, and before blood would even be visible.  If completely covered by the blanket, blood would be pooled under, and be soaked into the blanket so by the time it hit the floor, it's too late.  This will happen in about 2 minutes.  I saw this years ago.  No alarm sounded.  She was checked, covered up, and was told to uncover.  The nurse uncovered her access.  In less than 5 minutes she had recovered herself, and turned the other way in the chair to sleep.  The nurse went back over to again uncover her.  She had dislodged a needle, no alarm, and was soaked in blood.  She had caught the line in her chair.  She was sent to hospital, recieved several units of blood, but expired.  Policy now dictates (in my area anyway), if someone refuses to keep the access arm uncovered, they don't stay on treatment. 

GOOD ARTICLE Okarol.  Thanks!

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 01:49:45 PM »

Good Nurse....I think about 35 out of 40 people in my unit cover everything to the neck and nurses/techs let them be.  I get cold but cover all but my access arm and then just wear a glove on that hand...I don't know what people are thinking.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 11:54:16 AM »

That is scary!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 03:02:14 PM »

I was totally covered with a sheet last dialysis session!!!
Thanks so much for this timely (and scary) article!

I printed it to take to dialysis tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 03:15:45 PM by bajanne2000 » Logged

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 06:42:48 PM »

That reminds me of this thread http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=9555.0 The Warmth of an Idea for Your Vascular Access

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »