I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 10:51:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Husband Says Hospital Moved His Wife 1,000 Miles Away On Christmas Eve
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Husband Says Hospital Moved His Wife 1,000 Miles Away On Christmas Eve  (Read 1459 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 26, 2008, 01:25:49 PM »

Husband Says Hospital Moved His Wife 1,000 Miles Away On Christmas Eve

Posted By: Jennifer Lindgren     Created: 12/25/2008 5:46:28 PM    Updated: 12/26/2008 12:43:25 PM

SAINT AUGUSTINE, FL -- William White won't be visiting his ailing wife in the hospital this Christmas; he says the medical care center transported her to Illinois without the family's permission on Christmas Eve.

William White says his 65-year-old wife, Viola Jane White, has been sick for a long time and needs dialysis and a ventilator to live. He says she was a patient at Kindred Hospital in Green Cove Springs until yesterday, Christmas Eve.

That's when White says the hospital called him to let him know Viola had been flown to another nursing care center in Elmwood, Illinois.

"You can't go see her! You might could go once a year!" White said.

What angers him: White says the Kindred Hospital staff decided that Viola White did not need his approval to go; that she herself could make that decision.

"They said she agreed to it. She can't even sign her name. She don't know what day it is," White said.

In September, a letter arrived from the hospital stating that Ms. White's Medicaid and Medicare benefits would be exhausted by mid-November, and that the Whites would need to pay $1,000 a day for her to stay at Kindred Hospital.

White says he has not been able to keep up with Viola's medical bills, and didn't have the money to keep her there.

First Coast News placed a phone call to Elmwood Care, in Elmwood, IL, where staff confirmed that Viola Jane White was admitted as a patient on December 24, 2008.

After speaking with case workers at Kindred, White says he was told the only option for his wife was to seek treatment at an out-of-state facility where she could still be covered by Medicaid and Medicare, but he refused to let her be sent away.

"I said I don't agree to send my wife 1,000 miles away. I'm 72 years old!" White said, adding that he doesn't know when he'll get to see her again.

While he wants what's best for Viola's health, he was hoping to look into other options closer to home.

First Coast News placed several calls to Kindred Hospital on Christmas Day, and left voice messages for case workers and administration.

On Friday, Kindred Hospital faxed First Coast News the following statement:

Kindred Hospital, a Joint Commission-accredited acute long-term care hospital, provides high-intensity medical care. Once a patient is stabilized and improves they are moved to an appropriate, non-hospital level of care, pursuant to a physician discharge order.

In this case, after working with the patient over the last several weeks and upon receiving a physician discharge order, the patient was transferred to an appropriate, non-hospital level of care.

The timing of this transfer was unfortunate.

Due to privacy laws, we are prohibited from further comments.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=126616&provider=rss

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 04:12:07 PM »

Something sounds fishy here.

And with Illinois Medicaid, you just can't come to Illinois and automatically get Medicaid. So now there will be bills I am sure that this new facility will expect the husband to pay.. Who is going to do all the footwork to the Medicaid office in that county, which maybe some distance away.

So many missteps have been taken here.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012