I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 11:19:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  second donor rejected
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: second donor rejected  (Read 2656 times)
staceyand joe92

« on: December 28, 2008, 10:44:11 PM »

I just found out that my second living donor was rejected for medical reasons.  I have one more living donor to be tested.    I am feeling much better physically since I began dialysis , but emotionally I am exhausted. I feel like I get my hopes up for a living donor transplant just to have them dashed at the last minute.  My brother has signed up for paired donation because he is not my blood type but is a willing donor.  I'm glad I have a place to vent and get good info. Thanks for everyones support.

EDITED:Moved to transplant stories section-kitkatz,Moderator
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 01:14:45 PM by kitkatz » Logged

PKD
in center dialysis 3/week 3 hours for 16 months
11/2008 transplant list (active)
6 living donors denied
12/2009 Kidney Transplant
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 10:58:23 PM »

:grouphug;

I can relate to how you are feeling. I had my brother rejected due to being a 0 match and then my sister who is a 3/6 match got through 90% of the tests and was, too, denied on medical grounds (her SLIGHTLY raised blood pressure).  Certainly at the time it seemed like the hopes had been getting higher and higher as each test was passed with flying colours and we were getting more and more confident. That was 18 months or so ago.

Now I actually feel, in a way, a sense of relief that she was denied. The most I could ever ask of my siblings is that they came forward and were willing to be tested. They did that (other more distant relatives - like cousins, who may or may not be close enough to match I have no idea have not offered). However as I say I feel some sense of relief. One of my big concerns with the whole idea of a living donation from my sister is a sense of responsibility that I *know* I would have. By this I mean let's say I had gotten a kidney from her. What if something happened during the operation (to her), or even 15 years down the track and it could be traced to being an issue because she had donated?? I would feel responsible and motified about that. Yes, I totally understand that she knew what she was getting into when she agreed to be tested, and she had the psych evaluation and all that - and she was willing to take that risk so why should I feel responsible? My brain understands and accepts all that.. but I *know* that deep down in my heart..... I'd still feel something. So now that it's not happening while there was an initial disappointment I do feel some measure of relief because it seems that particular situation won't arise for me. At least if I am offered a cadaveric donation I won't bear any responsibility for what happened to the donor.

However I absolutely understand your frustration - almost getting so close yet so far. I am sure your donor also feels frustrated and perhaps even rejected - not by you of course - but by the system. The thing to remember is that they do that because they need to consider the health of both donor and recipient.. from my point of view I am glad my sister was denied because they felt there was even a small risk there could be an issue for her down the track by donating.. then I didn't want to accept that donation anyway for fear of what might happen.

I do hope your brother can perhaps donate, or you can be offered a kidney sometime soon!!!!

:grouphug;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 11:49:08 PM »

Jenna had 9 people offer but they were either ruled out medically or not a match. The woman who ultimately donated was a stranger. So don't give up hope. You never know where your miracle will come from!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 12:33:10 AM »

I feel a little selfish when I read these posts as I have had many people offer me a kidney and I don't really want one.  I hope you guys who really want one, get one soon.  I had a lunch here on Sunday with a group of people and Cheree and her hubby Russell came along and my best friend was really interested in what was involved when she had her transplant because she is really keen to donate to me and another of my friends was there and she went through some of the testing without even telling me and they told her she was not suitable to donate physcologically.  My step-son's girlfriend also wants to give me a kidney which is so gorgeous considering she is only 21.  I am amazed that I have had so many offers and just hope that you guys get a kidney soon.  You might just be amazed at where the offers come from.  I certainly have been. xxx
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 03:49:21 AM »

Marvin has had quite a few living donors tested and then turned down (for various reasons).  Each time one was being tested, we would say, "We're not going to get our hopes up.  We'll just wait and see."  Easier said than done!  Each time, we did get our hopes up.

The hardest "turn down" was my sister.  She went through four months of testing, testing, testing.  She was so sure she was going to be the donor.  Then, at the very last test (it evaluated her projected kidney function in the years to come -- how do they come up with this stuff?), she scored one point under the allowable.  She asked to have the test repeated, but the doctors refused.  When she called to tell Marvin she had been denied, SHE cried and cried.  Marvin was comforting her.  He told her, "I could never forgive myself if something happened to your kidneys 10, 20, or 30 years from now.  It's all for the best."

Still, it's very hard to hear that someone who is willing has been denied.

However, just the offer by itself is a special act.  I have always loved my sister, my brother, my sister-in-law, and the other friends who offered.  But after the offers and the testing, my admiration for them increased one hundredfold.  And, so, we're still waiting on the UNOS list.  Marvin says his time will come when it's supposed to come, and the kidney that comes will be perfect for him.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 05:51:08 AM »

Petey thank you so much for relating Marvin's thoughts on his sister. This in a way validates exactly what I was saying and feeling and I am glad I am not the only one (of course I mentioned all this during the psych thing and they still seemed to pass me! LOL). I think it is natural to feel that way and well i totally understand how he felt. I know both my siblings were so upset when they were denied to donate and in a way yeah it was me who was consoling them which seems kind of weird given the circumstances!!!

It's funny but it might just happen when you least expect it...... fingers crossed!!!

Oh and Cindy I imagine they wouldn't allow a 21 year old female to donate. During the testing for my sister (who was 38 at the time) they put a LOT of emphasis on child bearing. Now at 38 she was reaching the end of that, but they were still "If you want to have a child we don't want to transplant a kidney from you" - and I bet with the girl at 21 they would simply say no on those grounds. Even if she says she doesn't want children now it's not the point - obviously she has ~20 years to have children and I do not think they would want to harvest a kidney with that in mind. Although that may just be a Vic thing who knows about NSW or elsewhere in the world.....

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
staceyand joe92

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 08:19:27 AM »

Thank you for all of your supportive stories.  Both of my rejected donors were very upset that they were not a match. I felt terrible for them.  From now on I'm going to dialysis without complaining and I'm going to wait for my "perfect " kidney.  I'll get the one that is meant for me too. Thanks again.

PKD
in center dialysis 3/week 3 hours for 16 months
11/2008 transplant list (active)
6 living donors denied
12/2009 Kidney Transplant
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 12:40:42 PM »

I think those calls have been so emotionally hard to receive.  Each time you do get your hopes up.  We have had six tested.  The hardest was my daughter, AlohaBeth.  I didn't really want her to donate, but she was sure she was the one.  The transplant co-ordinator was crying with Beth when she said she couldn't donate, after going through most of the testing process.  I spent the next week assuring Beth it was fine and encouraging her to go on with just living.  It is a huge rollercoasters, and I have never liked rollercoasters!    Keep living with hope.  And I'll keep praying you find a good match.   :cuddle;
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:47:16 PM by paris » Logged

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 02:14:47 PM »

StaceyandJoe - to "wait for your perfect kidney" is the absolute right thing to do!  Whether that means keep on testing donors or patiently wait for a cadaverous donor.  It will happen.  I tested two related donors and my husband before they accepted my 4th (sister-in-law).  Both brothers and my husband were matches (good matches), but they were all three ruled out for "medical reasons".  It was very frustrating to say the least, but I knew in my heart that I could not have accepted a kidney from them if they were at risk for possible kidney problems in the future.  Brother #1 had protein in his 24-hr urine (168 mcg and the cut off is 150 mcg), brother #2 had borderline hypertension and high cholesterol, and husband had calcium in his urine that "could" possibly cause kidney stones in the future.  Again, frustrating but understandable.  After they denied my husband I just accepted the fact that I was going to be on dialysis until the "perfect" kidney came along.  My husband's sister offered to test in August, was accepted in late Sept and we transplanted on Nov. 5th.  I feel great!  I'm doing great!  I couldn't have asked for a better outcome.  My donor is doing great, as well!

It will happen as it is supposed to happen.  I'm a firm believer in that, even though I bitch and complain probably more than anyone.  The Lord hasn't let me down yet.  But he sure makes me work for it!   ;)

Good Luck and keep us posted!    We care!   :cuddle;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 02:20:08 PM »

i too so understand the disappointment when you receive a no.  I had ten people test, and finally my yes!!  I still can't really believe it since it is a month away, a little voice wonders if something will happen.  But you will get your turn!!   Don't give up.  I am glad you are feeling better!

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 07:29:23 PM »

:grouphug; i hope the right kidney comes soon.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 07:41:51 PM »

So disappointing.   :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »