I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2024, 07:33:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  DaVita gets subpoena for Medicare claims practices
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DaVita gets subpoena for Medicare claims practices  (Read 2602 times)
RightSide
Elite Member

« on: December 15, 2008, 08:47:43 PM »

DaVita gets subpoena for Medicare claims practices
DaVita gets Department of Health subpoena for documents related to Medicare practices
December 15, 2008: 09:33 AM ET

NEW YORK (Associated Press) - Dialysis services company DaVita Inc. said Monday it is responding to a Department of Health and Human Services subpoena for documents related to Medicare claims for several drugs.

The subpoena, which is from the Health Department's Office of Inspector General, is related to an ongoing investigation by the Department of Justice and U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Georgia over the administration of iron and vitamin D drugs.

The newest request is the second in as many years from the Department of Health's Office of Inspector General. In February of 2007, the agency requested records related to Epogen claims submitted to Medicare, followed in August by a subpoena for documents.

The latest subpoena applies to the company and its subsidiaries from Jan. 1, 2003, to the present. The drugs involved range from Epogen, which treats anemia related to dialysis, to Zemplar, which is for secondary hyperparathyroidism related to kidney disease.

"DaVita has been involved in several investigations over the last nine years, including some covering issues that are repeated in this subpoena," said LeAnne Zumwalt, DaVita spokeswoman, in a statement. "We respect the government's need to ensure the appropriateness of healthcare provider practices, especially during times when pharmaceutical issues involve significant expense for Medicare."

No proceedings have been initiated against the company, DaVita said, and it intends to cooperate fully with the government.

DaVita manages more than 1,400 outpatient facilities and acute units in more than 700 hospitals nationwide. It serves about 110,000 patients.

Shares were unchanged at $47.89 in trading after the opening bell.

http://tinyurl.com/5ptxme
qwerty

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 05:41:28 PM »

When I was with Davita they had patients on such high doses and did very frequent adjustments which didnt give time to allow the med to give an adequate measure before changing it again. When we were told to try to cut back on Epo use we were told to try to adjust Zemplar up so it would adjust for the lost dollars!!! :Kit n Stik;  I have since left and with the company I am with now I only adjust Epo monthly and allow 3 - 4 weeks before adjusting again unless I see a very sudden drop. I am surprised how low doses most my patients on. I also give a minimum dose of 300 units if they are around 12.5 just to maintain to keep them from sudden drops if possible. I dont have any of mine on more than 4600 at this moment and none of my patients are under 11 Hgb. Many times when we just look at the hgb alone is not enough. I consider other labs such as are they dehydrated or very diluted due to overload when we pulled the labs. I also check ours weekly. On average most of my patients recieve 2300-3500 each treatment.  My clinic just recieved award for maintaining the best anemia and bone management in the company too. :) Oh we dont get $ bonuses for this either like the biggy companies do.  I think those big bonuses result in alot of padding the numbers to be honest.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 05:43:53 PM by qwerty » Logged
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 09:58:21 PM »

... I dont have any of mine on more than 4600 at this moment and none of my patients are under 11 Hgb. Many times when we just look at the hgb alone is not enough. I consider other labs such as are they dehydrated or very diluted due to overload when we pulled the labs. I also check ours weekly. On average most of my patients recieve 2300-3500 each treatment.  My clinic just recieved award for maintaining the best anemia and bone management in the company too. :) Oh we dont get $ bonuses for this either like the biggy companies do.  I think those big bonuses result in alot of padding the numbers to be honest.

This needs to be repeated ... over and over again.
--Perhaps your supply is well refrigerated, too --so it doesn't loose effectiveness.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »