I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2024, 01:18:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Kidney patient sued by donor over 'oral contract'
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney patient sued by donor over 'oral contract'  (Read 1521 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: November 19, 2008, 05:31:38 PM »

Nov. 19, 2008

Kidney patient sued by donor over 'oral contract'

By DYLAN T. LOVAN - Associated Press Writer

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A western Kentucky man who donated a kidney has sued the recipient for not honoring an "oral contract" he said the two men struck before surgery.

Bob Stogner said the ailing kidney recipient, Thomas Clendenen, owes him more than $4,167 for construction work performed on Stogner's home.

Stogner agreed to move up the date of the kidney transplant if Clendenen agreed to help Stogner cover some costs of construction work being done on Stogner's home, according to the suit filed last month in Calloway District Court.
Click Here!

Stogner, of Murray, said he needed to hire a contractor to free him up for the transplant surgery.

Clendenen has argued in court filings that the suit should be dismissed, since it is unlawful to trade a human organ for money.

Stogner said the dispute has caused him "gutwrenching hurt."

"This has sickened me. You just don't believe somebody's capable of this," Stogner said. The transplant "needed to be done, but when I called him and told him how much the rest of his (part) was, he laughed."

Clendenen's wife, Carolyn, said in a telephone interview that her 61-year-old husband is a diabetic and was on a kidney dialysis machine while awaiting a transplant, which he received in June.

"We praise Bob for what he did," she said. "He did a wonderful thing."

Carolyn Clendenen said her husband agreed to pay for a small portion of the work. The two men, who know each other through Clendenen's brother, had only a verbal agreement, the suit said.

Clendenen paid $1,100 to Stogner, according to the suit.

But Carolyn Clendenen said that Stogner may have misunderstood the agreement. She said it was for the cost of roof on the addition, to protect it from the weather.

"Two or three weeks later you get a call saying (Stogner) wants more," she said.

After Stogner was approved to be a donor, a date for the transplant was set for August, according to the suit. But Clendenen later asked Stogner to move the date up to June, and offered to pay for some of the construction costs, according to the suit.

The suit said Clendenen has a "contractual obligation" to pay for the construction costs.

http://www.kentucky.com/181/story/598179.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Kitsune

Sometimes the dragon wins.

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 01:35:01 AM »

Legally, he doesn't. But morally, if he offered to help Mr. Stogner with his bills, he should. Making promises and not keeping them is an awful thing to do to a friend. It makes them not want to help you again.

"Run your mouth when I'm not around
It's easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
Can you hear the violins playing your song?
Those same friends tell me your every word"- Pantera "Walk" (1991)
Katey

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 07:47:25 AM »

I am from Kentucky and never heard about this on the news or anything.  This is something that should be reported.
The problem with this is a couple of things..."oral contract" is the first which no one should ever have something w/o it being in writing.  The other is if he owes him the money that is one thing but it appears the only reason the kidney was given is for the money and that is illegal.  Keep us posted if you hear of addtl info!!

Diagnosed July 1985
Started CAPD 1995
Changed to Hemo 1996
Cadaver Transplant 1999
Back on Hemo Aug 2008
Found this wonderful site Nov 2008!!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:39:42 AM »

I have to reread this one to fully give an opinion.

Katey makes a point, but something in the back of my head says there is something more to say.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012