I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 02:44:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  I love Healthcare!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I love Healthcare!  (Read 4439 times)
kimcanada
Elite Member

« on: November 20, 2008, 02:32:03 PM »

As of yesterday I now have coverage for my drugs, I pay 27$ a year and then only 20% of each perscription...  I only wish I had applied sooner..

Nova Scotia Family Pharmacare is a provincial drug plan designed to help Nova Scotians with the cost of prescription drugs. The program offers protection against drug costs for families who have no drug coverage; or, if the cost of the prescription drugs becomes a financial burden to them.

The program is available to all Nova Scotians with a valid health card and there is no premium or fee to join the program. The annual out-of-pocket cost is capped at a percentage of family income.

Also I had my 3 month Dr. app. today my doctor thinks I am a prime candidate for home hemo, 2 hours a day for 6 days... they are talking buttonhole, so much to think about...

http://www.kimhoben.com
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:46:04 PM »

I guess each province has a slightly different system.  Here in Ontario we have the Trillium Drug Program.  It is geared to our household income so based on that we get a deductible for the year ( this amount changes if income goes up or down).  Then we pay $2.00 for each prescription.  Saves us a few thousand a year.

Kim, the buttonholes are a good way to go.  See if they'll let you start on them in centre then you'll be super confident when you go home (if you decide to do that).  I feel seriously confident about them now, coming up on five full weeks using the blunts.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 03:09:29 PM »

When it comes down to being "trained"  I would be in Halifax for a few weeks maturing the buttonholes so they would be started in centre... were you nervous before you started this or was it no big deal... it would be a big deal for me thats why I ask

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 03:55:48 PM »

I would never say it's no big deal Kim.  It is a big deal putting needles in our arms.  Being a junkie and getting off on needles was never what I wanted to be when I grew up.
Having said that, I like to take control whenever I can and I'm a very practical person.  If needles MUST go in my arm then I'm going to be the one to put them there because that gives the best consistency and I can feel from both the inside and the outside.  The nurses only feel one side of the equation.  I started by doing a sharp on my arterial which is easy to hit.  Then I moved on to doing both, with sharps.  Then I started the buttonholes with sharps and moved on to blunts.  Now, I really feel that I know what I'm doing and I do everything except test the machine for conductivity accuracy.  I needle myself, hook up my lines,  turn up the pump, give the bolus etc and take myself off, pull my own needles, hold my sites, go home.  I feel really great doing all this for myself and now we have two more patients at our clinic who have started doing their own needles.  They too have said they like taking back a little of the control we all give up and they find it hurts less too.

In the beginning, I would get quite hot and sweaty (nerves, adrenaline, whatever) so I had a little hand fan beside me and if I needed a minute to "cool off" I'd take it and get right back at it. 

If you ever want to talk in person about any of this stuff, let me know and I'd be happy to give you a call and answer any questions you might have.  For me, it's a bit like jumping into the lake in the early summer when the water's cold.  I'll jump in myself but I don't like being pushed in by someone else.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 04:34:33 PM »

In the beginning, I would get quite hot and sweaty (nerves, adrenaline, whatever) so I had a little hand fan beside me and if I needed a minute to "cool off" I'd take it and get right back at it. 

This  is what I am worried about... I was like this with my epo shot , well the first time anyhow, I worded my question wrong , I did mean just that, some people don't "mind" needles I wish I was one of them, I do have to say tho that since I have been back from PD my arm seems to have developed or something, nothing hurts like it used to.  I have so many thoughts in my head now, I am nervous about trying something again and not being able to do it like PD.... *sigh* what to do what to do... do you plan on doing yours at home at some point or will you continue to do it in hospital?

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions :)

Wallyz

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 05:19:28 PM »

Heh. $2 prescriptions. 
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 05:40:51 PM »

congrats on the insurance, it sure helps. i got information from mine yesterday. $14,000 has been spent on my prescriptions to date this year. thank god for insurance!!!

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 06:57:59 PM »

Kim, I think it all takes getting used to.  I'm not planning on doing it at home because I'm hoping to have a transplant in the next two or three months.   If that all doesn't work out I still will most likely continue in centre because it's very close to my house, they maintain the machine, clean it etc, store supplies and I don't particularly want to take over a room in my house.  I go every day but not weekends and I do two and a half hours per run.

You'll find what's right for you eventually Kim, I know you will.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 07:45:35 PM »

Kim, you can get over being needle phobic, I promise!  I did.  I would almost pass out just watching the nurse pull the needle out at the beginning.  I couldn't watch them put one in at all.  I've gotten from that to being able to stick myself if I have too.  I'm never gonna like it, but it doesn't freak me out anymore.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 07:59:36 PM »

Heh. $2 prescriptions. 

Yes, but remember that you still pay before that up to the amount of your deductible and that can be high or low, depending on your income.  Only after you've paid up to the limit of your deductible do you get the $2.00 prescriptions.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »