I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 07:24:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Leaky Leaky
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leaky Leaky  (Read 4551 times)
terry3004

« on: June 16, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »

I had my first cartridge leak last night.  About 15 min from the end of treatment during one of the tests that the machine does it stopped with a red 90 alarm.  Not having seen this one before, I pulled the book out and it the alarm code was for a balance chamber leak failure.

I had my wife look under the machine and sure enough there was something leaking.  I terminated and returned my blood.  Once I got everything done, I pulled the machine and found a nice puddle on top of my pureflow unit.  This was my first leak (and hopefully my last), and fortunately it wasn't too bad.  Just some paper towels and all was taken care of.  Fortunately it was dialysate that was leaking so it was pretty easy to clean up.

I called NxStage this morning to report it and they are sending me a return kit.  Lot #8017715.  I'm just hoping that this doesn't happen again.  I don't like cleaning up messes at 11:00 at night  :banghead;

Become a living organ donor...you never know who's life you're going to save!

Married to my wonderful wife 4/2005
Diagnosed ESRD 7/2005
Started PD 3/2006 - Got infected
PD Catheter Changed 4/2006
PD Catheter removed & Perma-Cath placed 5/2006
In-Center Hemo started 5/2006
Tried PD again 5/2007 - Catheter wouldn't drain
Fistula made 8/2007
NxStage started 1/2008!!
Roadrunner

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 11:01:59 AM »

Is this the norm?  They never asked me to return the cartridge when I had a leak
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 11:33:09 AM »

Terry...sorry for the leak but glad it was just dialysate.
I've been lucky...in just over a year, we've only had one leak. Granted, we didn't have any of the bad lot that was shipped a while back, but I've been amazed at how few problems we've had with the machinery.

I'm sure, with making that many cartridges, that there's always a possibility of a pinhole in a tube or a connection will come loose. It's a nuisance, but glad you had almost all your treatment done before it happened Terry.

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 12:31:44 PM »

That would suck!!!  Specially at that hour of the night, I hope you don't have any more leaks

http://www.kimhoben.com
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 08:58:49 PM »

Is this the norm? They never asked me to return the cartridge when I had a leak

I think it depends on the error message - sometimes they want the cartridge back to see if they can figure out why it leaked.  Quality control issues, and all. . .

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

silverhead

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 08:20:47 PM »

Tonight we had another leaker. Lot # 8027711, reported it and they are sending a box for it, this is getting to be an almost monthly occurrence, sure hope they can figure out the problem soon......

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
mark m

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 10:55:02 AM »

Leaker...  :( This one was a gusher. Big mess to clean up. #8037713. Happened about an hour in. Sucks...

Life is good.
Wallyz

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 03:28:46 PM »

all but 1 of the bad cartridges I have had have been detectable with a visual inspection.  bad plastic welds on effluent pump bags are the big one I see. 
Wallyz

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 09:19:51 AM »

Spoke too soon.  Last night the sak leaked into the tub, still can't find the leak.
silverhead

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 04:23:31 PM »

Looking back on previous posts I find my last leaker was on June 22nd, had another one today lot #8047703, looks like I am on a regular 6 week schedule on this for the last year.......
Tom

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
silverhead

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 08:30:18 PM »

And here I am again, Aug 12 was the last one and today about 45 minutes into the treatment got a 715 alarm, nice puddle under the machine, looks like bad welds near the 2 "bags" on the cartridge, they are sending a return box, getting so used to this that we now just figure if it happens in the first half we start over again, if in the last half, we just terminate for the day.......
Tom

silverhead

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 03:44:14 AM »

I am starting to feel like some sort of Guinna pig with leaky cartridges, yesterday, less than a week from the last incident, before it could complete the 17 minute "set-up" cycle, I had a another leak.  At least this time no blood was involved, so it was an easy replacement. This cart was the first one out of the box, the last box I have in this lot number (8087701), I told the NxStage tech I was not inclined to use any more of this lot number........

Wallyz

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 01:09:51 PM »

Hey Silver head, we still need to get together.  PM me sometime.
silverhead

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 07:31:01 PM »

It's me again, Nov 23 and another leaker, this time about 15 minutes into the run, first one out of the box (lot 8057702), never got an alarm, just noticed a small amount of water collecting under the machine, did manual rinse back and quickly installed a new cart and resumed the run, told the tech I still have 2 box's waiting for pickup from UPS, will just add this to my growing collection.......

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »