I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 01:32:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  New Wisconsin Law Hopes To Ease Organ Donation Process
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Wisconsin Law Hopes To Ease Organ Donation Process  (Read 1187 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: November 05, 2008, 06:27:23 PM »

New Wisconsin Law Hopes To Ease Organ Donation Process
New Law To Create Unique Organ Donor Registry

UPDATED: 11:46 am CST November 2, 2008

MADISON, Wis. -- The importance of organ donation and its ability to save or improve the lives of others cannot be overestimated.

But the process is not always easy for those left behind. Now a new Wisconsin law is hoping to change that.

Bob Richards was a longtime Madison consumer advocate and TV news reporter who spent his life fighting for others. On a late July day in 2003, Richards's widow, Julie Hood, received word that her husband had suffered a fatal heart attack while golfing at Monona Golf Course. Though grief-stricken, Hood remembered how important it was to her husband to be an organ donor.

But she didn't expect how difficult the process would be -- just hours after her husband's death, Hood had to answer a series of very personal questions. Though the basic demographic and health history queries did not surprise, having to discuss her late husband's wishes for each and every one of his organs did. Hood said it was the worst part of the worst day of her life, and recalls that "my sister had to hold me up just so I could answer the questions."

Peggy Irwin of Donate Life Wisconsin and the Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation understands Hood's frustration, but said that what Hood and others don't realize is that stickers on driver licenses are just the first step in becoming an organ donor.

"When people say they intend to be a donor, it's really rather passive," said Irwin. "But consenting to being a donor is legally binding."

What that means is if the donor, like Bob Richards, did not specifically make his or her intentions known, then, said Irwin, "we look to family members to provide for a donation," meaning that family has to answer a list of questions on Wisconsin's official anatomical gift authorization questionnaire. Many times, the questions must be answered immediately. Family members are asked for permission to donate -- body part by body part -- their loved one's heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, intestines, or pancreas. Not to mention eyes, corneas, heart valves, pericardium, blood vessels, skin, arm and leg bones, pelvis, and rib bones.

"I asked many times, as I recall," said Hood, "whether or not I could give a blanket donation and say 'yes' to everything, and I was told that the organs and tissues had to be gone through item by item by item."

Irwin said such regulations were put in place because many donor families felt uninformed about their loved one's donation.

"So we walk a fine line," said Irwin. "Some families want to know everything, legitimately everything, while others want to say 'yes,' and walk out the door."

Wisconsin leads the nation in many areas of organ donation. But unless family members are notified of the deceased's wishes, some vital donations can be lost.

"When they know that was their loved one's wish," said Irwin, "and they got to see that through, it's so amazing to see the transformation in the grieving cycle."

"One of the good things," said Hood, "that I was told was how many guys Bob could help. It's phenomenal what they can use."

Officials stress that organ donors need to make sure not only to sign and check the donor box on the back of their license but also to make sure that their family knows their wishes. Details can also be put into wills.

What many will be relieved to learn is that a new Wisconsin state law was passed in April with hopes of streamlining the donation process. One part of it allows the Department of Health Services to establish what's called a "first person consent registry." Wisconsin is among three states to receive federal grants to establish an online registry.

Once the registry is in place, hopefully by mid-2009, donors will be able to go on-line and answer specific donation questions, alleviating surviving family members of some painful red tape.

State Representative Steve Wieckert, a co-sponsor of this new law, has long been a proponent of organ donation. He said that the goal of the law is to set Wisconsin apart when it comes to organ donation.

"We made the law very clear, " said Wieckert, "if an individual does want to donate, and does pass away, their last wishes will be fulfilled. Every individual we can get to donate, especially if that individual wanted to donate. That's going to save a life."

In 2010 the US Transplant Games will be held in Madison. The games will serve as an opportunity to alert potential organ donors about the new first person consent organ donor registry. 7,000 visitors are expected to attend the games, including 1,500 participating athletes.

Currently 1,500 families in Wisconsin alone have loved ones waiting for organs, while eighteen people nationwide die every day waiting for vital organs.

One donor can help more than 50 people through organ and tissue donation. And organ donation costs absolutely nothing for the donors -- the organ or tissue recipient and their healthcare provider pay for organ donation.

Go to Donate Life Wisconsin's Web site for more information on this vital issue.

http://www.channel3000.com/health/17867231/detail.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »