I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 10:30:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  68-year-old donates kidney - and feels fine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 68-year-old donates kidney - and feels fine  (Read 1933 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: November 05, 2008, 06:10:21 PM »

68-year-old donates kidney - and feels fine

By Ng Wan Ching
November 05, 2008

A FORMER top civil servant and his sister have made local medical history by becoming Singapore's oldest living kidney recipient and oldest living donor.

Mr Cheong Quee Wah, a former permanent secretary at the ministries of Defence, Home, Environment and Law, is 65.

His sister, Madam Chiang Juet Ho, is 68.

When Madam Chiang donated her kidney to Mr Cheong in April, she became Singapore's oldest living kidney donor and he the oldest recipient of a living-donor kidney.

That was confirmed by Professor A Vathsala, director of the Adult Renal Transplantation Programme at the National University Hospital.

The news comes at a time when the Ministry of Health is planning to remove the age cap for cadaveric donors.

But never mind making history. Mr Cheong feels blessed not only because of his sister's deed but from similar selflessness from others in his family.

He was diagnosed with chronic nephritis (inflammation of the kidneys) in 1968 and has suffered from kidney failure for almost 30years.

His condition deteriorated slowly, but late last year, doctors told him he had no choice but to go on dialysis.

That was when his sister offered her kidney.

Although already 68, she was found fit enough to be a donor.

Waited for kidney

Despite his worsening condition, Mr Cheong held off going on dialysis until he could be transplanted with Madam Chiang's kidney.

This is known as pre-emptive kidney transplantation and is advised.

Madam Chiang was not the only one who stepped forward to offer the gift of life to Mr Cheong.

Almost all his family members offered to donate their kidneys.

When he first knew he had to have a transplant or face dialysis, he spoke to his wife.

She immediately offered her kidney, but it was not a match. Her blood type and his differed.

It was the same with his 32-year-old daughter - her blood type did not match her father's.

His 36-year-old son lives and works in London, so Mr Cheong did not ask him.

'I then spoke to my elder sister about it. She did not hesitate at all. She straightaway said she wanted to donate her kidney to me,' said Mr Cheong.

The only issue was her age.

Madam Chiang, who is divorced, said in Mandarin: 'I said I'll tell my children and then I'll do all the necessary medical tests. If I pass, I want to give my brother my kidney.'

She knew her children were worried for her because of her age.

'I knew what they felt in their hearts. But they also knew that I was determined to do it. I love my brother. So they supported me all the way,' she said.

Family gave full support

They followed her to all her medical appointments at the Singapore General Hospital.

She said: 'Either my son or my daughter would go with me because I cannot read English. They would also sit in with me during all the doctors' consultations and explain everything to me.'

After a few months of tests, she was pronounced fit and able to donate her kidney.

On 30 Apr, she and Mr Cheong underwent the operations that would give him a new lease of life.

If she had not been able to donate her kidney, Mr Cheong's second elder sister, who is also in her 60s and who lives in Perth, was ready to fly back to undergo tests to see if she could be a suitable donor.

Madam Chiang's two children, both in their 40s, were also keen to donate if their mother's health disqualified her from going through with the donation.

Said Madam Chiang's son, Mr Lum Yong Teng, 45: 'From our perspective, we have to be supportive of our mother.

'She had made up her mind, so even if we were worried for her because of her age, we would help her in her endeavour.

'And if she could not, we were ready to step in.'

Madam Chiang was so fit that she was well enough to leave the hospital two days after her operation. But she stayed an extra day just to be on the safe side.

Mr Cheong, who resigned from the civil service in 1992 to join Sembawang Corporation, which he left in 2002, said: 'The timing was somehow just right for me.

'After I resigned, my health gave me issues, so I had time to look after it.

'Now, I watch what I eat very carefully. Ihave lost about 16 kg. (I've gone) from 86 kg to 70 kg.'

Added Mr Cheong, a senior adviser at Sembawang: 'I recently went back to playing golf after my transplant and I spend time on qigong as well. I am looking forward to many more years of healthy living.'

And so is Madam Chiang, who went off on a cruise holiday after this interview.

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,182428,00.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »