I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 03:30:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Protein drink?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Protein drink?  (Read 7283 times)
TrophyWife

« on: June 21, 2006, 08:05:17 AM »

HI--My brother just called and said my Father was losing muscle fast. I know my father hated the protein drink they gave him at the dialysis center(oh gosh wish I could remember the name- I'm in Nashville...He's in Atlanta). SO I thought this would be a good place to ask.
So what the best tasting protein drink -- thats also best with dialysis? Thanks so much! :)He's 70something so he's very picky-subburn and stuck in his ways!!
Len

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 09:02:07 AM »

I like  (((Ensure Plus)))  I  put it from the fridge  to the freezer for 45 min to 1 hour  so it cyrstalizes a bit   I take one every run .
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 05:30:46 PM »

Rerun has posted about a drink that she liked...I'll try to find the name of it.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 06:19:13 PM »

I like Nepro.  It is for dialysis patients.  Here is my post about it.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=302.0

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 08:16:59 PM »

I like Nepro.  It is for dialysis patients.  Here is my post about it.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=302.0

Yes, that is what I was just going to suggest. Nepro is what they gave me in the hospital when I became malnourished.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
TrophyWife

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 05:52:02 PM »

THANKS. I will get him some of that!
Panda_9

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 11:32:16 PM »

Speak to the dietition about the renal protein drinks, I think you can only get them off them. I had drinks called Resource. It was in tetra packs and came in creamy strawberry, classic chocolate, peach, and orange. The fruit ones were awful but the milk ones were nice. But if you are not feeling well, theres probly nothing that is going to taste nice. While I was on PD I couldnt stomach these drinks, I couldnt stomach even water as I was so ill. If he does feel ill often, there are many medications available to help ease the nausea. I am allergic to the two best meds, which made it impossible to treat the nausea. I am feeling alot better now Im on hemo, and eating properly...if not too much!
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 11:54:42 PM »

Yes, it is very important to discuss the protein drinks with the dietician BEFORE you let him drink it,  now that i am on PD they want me to eat alot of protein, but when i asked about the drinks, for some reason they told me i should stick with the meats and stuff, something about the lab results and i do know if you get too much protein that isnt a good thing either.  Man,  seems like we are damned if we do and we are damned if we dont,  sheeeesh, cant catch a break over here, lol....

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 12:05:53 AM »

Speak to the dietition about the renal protein drinks, I think you can only get them off them. I had drinks called Resource. It was in tetra packs and came in creamy strawberry, classic chocolate, peach, and orange. The fruit ones were awful but the milk ones were nice.
milk ones? Lucky!! I had Resource when I was in the hospital last summer with Peritonitis and they only gave me the fruit ones. I had a choice between orange and fruit punch and I hate fruit punch! :( So I aslked for the Nepro instead :)

Protein drinks in the stores are bad for us because of the high potassium rates that are meant for people who DO have kidneys!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 12:57:24 AM »

The resource milk drinks have 300mg of potassium in it, which is a little high for renal patients, so that is an important point to consider when drinking them. If you are eating normally, you dont really need them. Here they go by the albumin level, which can be an indicator if you are eating properly or not.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 01:08:08 AM »

The resource milk drinks have 300mg of potassium in it, which is a little high for renal patients, so that is an important point to consider when drinking them. If you are eating normally, you dont really need them. Here they go by the albumin level, which can be an indicator if you are eating properly or not.
Ah THAT Would explain it!! They gave them to me when I was malnurished (suffering from the worst case of Peritonitis they say here in 20 years...) and my potassium was so low that I was the ONLY kidney patient on the floor they gave 1/2  a banana too :P

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 07:42:57 AM »

Personally I bypass all drinks like ensure and boost because they contain way too much potassium.  Myself I use Designer Whey protein.  Pretty cheap online and comes in 5 different flavors.  Only 90 mg of potassium per serving.  18 grams protein, 1 gram fat, 2 grams carbs (2 g sugar)
Panda_9

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 06:54:20 PM »

I think its important that the drinks only be consumed under medical/dietition supervision.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 06:37:02 AM »

Personally I bypass all drinks like ensure and boost because they contain way too much potassium.  Myself I use Designer Whey protein.  Pretty cheap online and comes in 5 different flavors.  Only 90 mg of potassium per serving.  18 grams protein, 1 gram fat, 2 grams carbs (2 g sugar)
How does that taste??

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 10:54:31 AM »

How does that taste??

Actually comes in 7 flavors I guess. My bad.
Well it doesnt taste to bad to me. I use the strawberry and the Vanilla Praline.  Do have a tub of Chocolate peanut carmel, but havent tried it yet.  Comes in powdered form and can be mixed with just about any liquid.  (I use ice cold water myself) Just put into a container that you can shake and it mixes up pretty good.  No clumps like the old days with protein powders.

Comes in Strawberry, French Vanilla, Vanilla Praline, Chocolate, and Chocolate peanut carmel and natural flavor.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 11:27:49 AM »

What is the phosphate content? I would think that the Chocolate peanut carmel would be especially high in that.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 05:16:43 PM »

All flavors are 140 mg of phosphorus per serving which is about the same as eating 3.5 oz of meat.
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2006, 12:04:13 PM »

Comes in Strawberry, French Vanilla, Vanilla Praline, Chocolate, and Chocolate peanut carmel and natural flavor.

I use Designer Whey and I like it.  I've had the vanilla and the strawberry flavors.  I do two scoops twice a day and I take a renagel with it because of the phosporous.  My albumin shot up to normal since I've been taking it and the dietician told me to keep taking it.  Sometimes to change the taste I put a spoonful of International Coffee in it when I mix it so I get some caffeine in the morning.  There's so much you can do to change the taste if you don't like it but I  figure I really need the protein so I just chug it down even if I don't feel like having it. 

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 01:03:30 PM »

Oh another protein drink that is handy if a person is on the go or doesnt feel like eating.    Natures Best Zero Carb Isopure liquid protein drink.

Its already premixed.  Just throw in the fridge, better tasting cold.  Cost 2.63 here on sale at the GNC store.  I have tried apple melon and grape frost.  The inital taste is pretty good but you do get a icky aftertaste of the whey but its manageable.

Comes in several flavors.  Alpine Punch, Blue Raspberry, Apple Melon, Grape Frost, Icy Orange, Pineapple Orange Banana

Some stats:
Liquid Protein. 40 grams. 20oz. No lactose, no aspartame. Instant Ignition. Mach 3 Recovery.

Each serving of 1 bottle contains:

Calories 160
Total Fat 0g 0%
Total Carbohydrates 0g 0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 40g 80%
Calcium 55mg 6%
Sodium (as citrate) 80mg 3%
Potassium 45mg 1%
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 07:12:39 PM »

Instant Ignition. Mach 3 Recovery.
HAHA love that!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 05:12:06 AM »

Instant Ignition. Mach 3 Recovery.
HAHA love that!

;D  Yea its something for the weight lifting community. 
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 08:06:10 AM »

I've tried something called ProSource, a medical food --not the kind you find in the health food store.

At first it sounded great:
In one serving, an ounce (that's right, one ounce!), has 10 grams of protein, 20 mg potassium and no phosphorus.  I thought I had found the holy grail in my quest for a high protein-low phosphorus supplement.  But alas, it was not to be.

After trying it for a while, I decided to re-evaluate its Amino Acid profile.  The Amino Acid numbers are given in terms of g/100g of protein.  I did the math to find out what a serving of 10 grams of protein was giving me, in terms of the Amino Acid profile.  To my surprise, I found that the amount of the amino acids was relatively low, when compared to other sources of 10 grams of protein.  A boiled egg, an ounce of light tune, and a protein powder from the health food store had either twice or three times the level of the amino acids than in this medical protein supplement.  Unfortunately, all except the ProSource had some amount of phosphorus.

I still use the ProSource, but as ice pops.  I figured that if I'm going to have something cold to cool me down after a workout, I should get some protein at the same time (albeit a low-quality protein).

So remember, just because a product says it has "x" grams of protein, doesn't mean you're getting a good quality protein.  You really need to check the label.

So, it looks like the whey powder that BigSky mentioned earlier in this discussion might be one of the better protein supplements available.

Yet, my quest continues ...        ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 09:53:28 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »