I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 02:27:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  My head is spinning
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My head is spinning  (Read 3190 times)
imacrash

« on: August 19, 2006, 10:00:32 PM »

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all those welcome messages.  To update you all, a lot has happened to me since I became a member of this site.  The very next day, I was admitted to the hospital with an infection at the tunneled catheter site.  Today, I finally was able to go home.  They tried to replace the cath in my neck, with no success and had to have a femoral quinton cath placed.  OUCH!  Then 2 days later, the doc tried to make a new fistula on my left forearm, but doubts it will ever be usable.  I was told my veins are just too tiny everywhere on my body.  Soooo, a day later, they replace the quinton cath for the tunnelled cath.  Then I was told my only option was to go on PD!  So, now I wait for an appt. with that surgeon.  The surgery will be either next month or the month after that.  I'm exhausted, and depressed about everything.  Will anything ever go right for me?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 10:41:03 PM »

Crash.  Don't forget you are a "cash cow" to these people and they will do all they can to keep you alive.   You will like PD better.  I would go on it in a minute if I could, but I've had too many abdominal surgeries and my peritoneum is no longer permeable.  Hang in there and just take one dialysis day at a time.

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 12:16:53 AM »

Aw Crash, i am sorry for all you have to go through, i am pretty sure we all know what you are going through cuz we have been there before (well, alot of us have)  BUT, PD is so much better than Hemo, i was on Hemo for 3 years and let me tell you, switching to PD was the best move i ever made (regarding my health) I sure hope it works for you, it may be a little rough at first but just hang in there and once you get the routine down, then its pretty smooth sailing.  I am on this ride (PD) for as long as it will take me.  Take care and good luck ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 06:07:47 AM »

I am sorry for all you have gone through but they are right! PD is better (in my personal experience) and I wish I could go back to it instead of this terrible hemo in clinic :( but ever since I got Peritonitis as bad as I did they now won't let me :(

I hope the best for you because you have been through enough already and it would be nice to see things finally work out for you!

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
imacrash

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 06:40:49 PM »

I am starting to feel a bit better about going on PD now.  I guess I'm just very, very anxious about being left alone, on my own, to do the treatment.  I'm trying to imagine things i could do during the day now, so that is a good sign.  Just trying to recover from all the stuff I went through last week, and then I'll soak up information on PD.  Thanks for the support.
Susan
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 07:45:13 PM »

I started PD in April and the cycler last week and think you will be much
happier and comfortable on PD, especially with vein problems, etc.
I was nervous too but it has worked well and went pretty smoothly for me.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
MelissaJean

it's better to find peace than understanding

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 10:19:31 PM »

I do agree that PD not only gives you more freedom during the day, but from my understanding I don't have to worry so much about Potassium (hope I am right about that), and I don't have as much restriction with fluid intake. 
About being worried, I think that is just natural.  I am on my third week and still get stressed out when I hook myself up that I need an hour or so to relax before going to bed.  Hope it all changes soon.

~Melissa~

"just run with me through rows of speeding cars"

- Born with Cystic Fibrosis
- Received double lung transplant 11/9/2001
- Complications from transplant:  Diabetes, Kidney Failure
- Started dialysis 6/6/06
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 10:54:15 PM »

MelissaJean, it will get better with time, trust me and it is true, we are not AS restricted as hemo patients but we still need to take precaution (dont overdo it) and you will be fine.  ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »