I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 01:38:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dr. Phil Tomorrow
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Phil Tomorrow  (Read 4199 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: September 22, 2008, 03:11:37 PM »

This one looks like a good one to set your DVR's for.  He discusses "life changing decisions".  Apparently, there will be a guest who is hesitant about donating a kidney to his brother.  I'll attempt to post a link....  wish me luck...

http://www.drphil.com/   Look at Tuesday's Show.  I hope I did this right...   You can also read the Message Boards that discuss the upcoming show.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 03:16:34 PM by kellyt » Logged

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 03:12:57 PM »

I'll try to catch it tomorrow at D.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 03:15:22 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Kelly, I don't have DVR but maybe I can catch it on the computer when I get home.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 09:09:26 PM »

Did anyone watch?  It was pretty good, I guess.  The brother is hesitant to test and possibly donate to his brother because 1) the brother who needs the kidney has a history of not taking care of himself ie. drugs, smoking, etc.  Actually, his drug of choice is Cocaine and he used as recently as 2 weeks ago.  2) the brother who is being asked to donate is on the cuff of possibly being able to play professional baseball.  Apparently, he's a top ranked college pitcher.

Personally, I think the main reason he is hesitant is because of his possible career in baseball.  However, I do agree that if the brother is not going to take care of the precious gift from his brother, then why should he test?  "If he's going to continue to live his life they way he is living it now, then I'm going to continue to live my life the way I'm livin it now."  stated the brother being asked to donate.

Thoughts?

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 10:58:57 AM »

kelly, I watched it with mixed feelings.

Is the brother with kidney failure even a candidate for a transplant?  They didn't talk about all the real problems regarding testing and evaluation.  My center wouldn't approve someone who is currently doing drugs like cocaine.  It seemed like a lot of pressure was put on the healthy brother. Questions like "will you beable to live with your decision if your brother dies?" seem very hard.  We all know donation isn't an easy process and chances are, it wouldn't be approved.  In the meantime, the brother is being made to feel like he is the only one who can save his brother's life.   I think they needed someone who deals with the transplant process to give that side of process.   At least someone was talking about kidney transplants---any news is good! 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 01:00:34 PM »

In 100% agree with you.   I thought they were placing a lot on the brother's shoulders, especially since the other brother was not even attempting to try to live healthy.  I really felt for him (donator brother).  I still think his decision has a lot to do with his possible career in pro-baseball, but I would never have EXPECTED my brothers to test and donate to me.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 01:59:24 PM »

I thought the potential donor brother was right in wanting to see changes in his brother's behavior before potentially sacrificing an organ that may not be treated with the respect it deserves.   Living donors have to accept the risk that their kidney might not work but if the recipient is doing nothing to minimize the risks but instead doing something that might jeopardize it, I think I'd keep my kidney safely tucked under my own ribs too.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 02:38:50 PM »

HI friends,
I had mixed emotions on this . I can see why the brother needing a kidney was taking drugs etc. Not that its right because its not. I seen what teh disease did to Dustin the depression, making choices that he should not have made at times. I seen what Dustin went through and can see people turning to drugs as an escape. On the other hand I can see his brother not wanting to donate. I think if the brother that needs the kidney gets clean and stays clean then it should be a go. Everyone makes mistakes and deserves a second chance.

Lori/Indiana
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 03:08:20 PM »

I understand where you're coming from as well, Lori.

You know, they never mentioned if the brother was on "the list".  Did I just miss it?

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 04:03:16 PM »

The donor brother did say that he'd donate tomorrow if his brother would start taking care of himself better and quit smoking, cocaine and excessive drinking.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 05:27:47 PM »

They didn't talk about the list, testing or evaluations.  As we all know, it isn't as easy as it sounds.  And none of us want a kidney from someone who feels the least bit pressured.   But, we do want kidneys!  :clap;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 08:02:30 PM »

I know this is kind of an old thread and I did not see the show but was the brother *needing* the kidney on the show and if so, what were his thoughts on all of it?  I did not see (or read) anyone mention *that* brother................

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 11:12:34 AM »

Did anyone watch? It was pretty good, I guess. The brother is hesitant to test and possibly donate to his brother because 1) the brother who needs the kidney has a history of not taking care of himself ie. drugs, smoking, etc. Actually, his drug of choice is Cocaine and he used as recently as 2 weeks ago. 2) the brother who is being asked to donate is on the cuff of possibly being able to play professional baseball. Apparently, he's a top ranked college pitcher.

Personally, I think the main reason he is hesitant is because of his possible career in baseball. However, I do agree that if the brother is not going to take care of the precious gift from his brother, then why should he test? "If he's going to continue to live his life they way he is living it now, then I'm going to continue to live my life the way I'm livin it now." stated the brother being asked to donate.

Thoughts?

I never seen the show, but from reading this I have many thoughts swirling around in my head...

First off why get tested if you are not 100 % sure you want to donate, second...  why accept something like a kidney from someone that doesn't deem you worthy to recieve that kidney...

I get so sick of TV shows mostly talking about the Kidney recipent not being worthy for one reason or another, and its like if you need a kidney your ethics are somehow now 100%, sorry for the babble, lots on my mind I guess

http://www.kimhoben.com
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »

I think if a show like this was to be done there needed to be people from both sides including case workers etc.  Should have been professionally done with two sides.  This was one reason I chose not to watch.  I would be sitting there talking to the box in the corner.    :rant;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 12:29:07 PM »

I think if a show like this was to be done there needed to be people from both sides including case workers etc.  Should have been professionally done with two sides.  This was one reason I chose not to watch.  I would be sitting there talking to the box in the corner.    :rant;

Push over G-Ma I need to talkto the "box" also

These shows could be such an awesome tool in helping our cause, to educate people so that most people didn't think that only siblings could be donors, but then they have to show that people that get these kidneys are generally messes, I am SOOOOOOOOOOO sick of that RANT RANT RANT RANT

http://www.kimhoben.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »