I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2024, 07:31:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hello!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 3381 times)
ReneeP

« on: September 10, 2008, 09:32:59 AM »

Wow!  I cannot believe I finally found a forum where I'm not just reading comments about how someone wants to drown themselves in a water fountain or bathe in a milk bath.  LOL.  It's fantastic to see that there are Renal patients out there who are living life and doing all that they can.

My name is Renee and I am 33, (Is that right?  ???  I had to think abouit that one)  I am married to a wonderful guy, Scott; and I have a very tenacious daughter, Kaley who is five going on 16.  I have been a Type I diabetic since I was 12 years old and have had Kidney Issues from about 16.  It's been a "road" through all the stages but it's something that I suppose I'm accustomed to.  I hit Stage 5 in January of this year and escalated to dialysis with my first bought on May 9, 2008.  I'd say that it got really serious when I became pregnant with Kaley.  The doc's told me that I probably would have so many issues with the pregnancy that they would be basically surprised if either of us came out okay or survived.  I made the choice that it was more important to try and we would deal with whatever outcome.  I guess that's just my attitude.  It is what it is, I'm alive and kicking, and I'll fight every step of the way if I have to.   :thumbup;  Anyway, where was I, ohhhh.  So I basically was a prisoner in the hospital my entire pregnancy with pretty bad preeclampsia but Kaley was born 2.5 months early, only 2 weeks in nicu and is healthy as an ox.  I came out at Stage 3 if I remember right...

Anyway, at the beginning of 2008 I decided to do Hemo dialysis but the Vascular surgeons decided my circulatory system wasn't fit for a fistula and they don't want to do a graph unless absolutely necessary.  So, PD was my option.  I hated the first two months with doing the exchanges every four hours but now with the cycler it isn't that bad.  It's hard in the romantic sense, you know still being young married etc. but having the days free is awesome.

I guess I got depressed for awhile but the Prozac has fixed that.   :clap; That's also made me a little crazier.  lol.

I'm a canidate for a Kidney-Pancreas transplant but I am O- so they are estimating my wait around 4 years.  Who knows.  If I cannot handle physically or mentally the dialysis anymore my husband wants to do that crossmatching program where they trade his kidney for someone else's spouse who matches me...  But I have issues with that, like what if it doesn't work, I pass on, etc.  someone needs to be healthy for Kaley and then also, that means sooner for a second transplant...  The pancreas "helping" (hopefully) the Kidney last longer.

What do I hate most about dialysis?   Oh that list goes on and on...  lol.   Um, being a woman I think the worst is the weight gain.  Being on PD I always have about 4 lbs of solution in my belly at a time and then my retention is high right now.  (And yes, fluids are a minimum)  Put it this way, I was a size 4 in May and now I'm a 10.  And it's not because of food.  There's days I forget to eat if I'm not cooking for my family.

Okay, so that sums up a little of it I guess.   I guess I have alot of questions but I also have alot of answers so please feel free to ask me anything.  And as you can see, I can ramble...

Great to meet everyone and I hope to "talk" with you soon!

Renee
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 09:37:59 AM »

:welcomesign; Renee. We are a great group with lots of information and support. We are so glad you found us and joined. We look forward to hearing more from you and we're sure we'll learn from you also. There is a bunch to read in the older post, so make sure you check them out. Take care and post often.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 09:49:15 AM »

:welcomesign; Renee. Thanks for the detailed intro. You sure have been through a lot, but it sounds like you have a great attitude. I'll be looking forward to reading more of your posts. 

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 10:40:13 AM »

Drowning in a fountain and taking a bath in milk?  Hummm I've not thought of that but thanks for the tip!

Welcome to IHD.  Dialysis Sucks but we are here to share information and humor.

:welcomesign;

Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 11:10:45 AM »

Welcome Renee, good to have you aboard.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 11:56:18 AM »

Renee, what a great intro!  The founder of this site loved wonderful introductions.  It really helps us get to know you a little.  This is an incredible site.  Tons of information and even more support from people who really understand what you are going through.   I hope you post often and we learn more about you (and that sweet little girl).  We are glad you found us.  :grouphug; :grouphug;

Paris,moderator

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 01:37:53 PM »

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 02:41:14 PM »

:welcomesign;  It sounds as though your attitude has served you very well up to now and I'm glad you found this site so we can gain from your experiences as well as share ours with you.
What a cutie Kaley is.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 02:44:09 PM »

size 10 sounds wonderful to me :waving;
glad to know you :cheer:
make yourself at home 8)
Razman

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »

Its great that you joined and hope that you will be visiting the site often.   OK , I'm just a guy but  size 10 doesn't sound all that bad to me!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 06:25:06 PM »

G'day Renee and welcome aboard! I love the picture of you and Kaley!! She looks like a real cutie (like her mother :) ) and you have a great attitude to your long journey. Great to have you here away from the milk baths and I hope your wait is way less than 4 years to get back to a more normal life!! :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 07:50:46 PM »

Welcome.  Glad to see another PDer here.  Come back and post often.
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 08:57:06 PM »

Welcome to IHD Renee.  Keep on talking..............

Love, Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 09:01:51 PM »

Welcome Renee, Scott and Kaylee to IHD,

You seem to be handling things fairly well. It has got to be so hard with a young family, ESRD is a equal opportunity disease and effects all kinds of people of all ages. I hope you find comfort in knowing that everyone here understands what you are going through and we will be here when you need us. Please feel free to ask questions and post as often as you like.

Sluff/Admin
annabanana

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 11:17:08 AM »

Size 10 sounds good to me, too!

:welcomesign; to IHD!!! :bandance;

caregiver to Randy:
HepC and stage 4 ckd
1 kidney removed (cancer)Aug07
ReneeP

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 07:02:47 PM »

I just wanted to post a widespread thanks to all who have welcomed me.  It's fantastic to see the involvement plus companionship and understanding that this site seems to offer.

See all of you on the threads.

Renee :waving;
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 07:24:08 PM »

Hi Renee, great intro Im glad you found us. I will look forward to your posts

Boxman, Moderator

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
devon

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 06:19:07 AM »

Welcome Renee!  I think you have the idea of sharing down pat!  Thanks for joining us.

-Devon
florida.flyer

The JAX ramp rat

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 06:51:20 AM »

Hi Renee!  Love your can-do attitude!  and I agree with the other girls here, size 10 would be nice, I used to be size 8 , now it's 12-ish....been on PD for 1 year. what a cutie daughter! thanks for sharing  :welcomesign;
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 02:41:02 AM »

:welcomesign;  to  the  IHD  family   renee  ,  scott  and  of  course  kaley

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »

Welcome to our community, Renee!!  So glad you found us!  This is just the place to be - information, support, outlet for venting, etc. Just feel free. Just keep reading and keep posting.  You are now part of a tremendous family  :grouphug;.  I look forward to hearing much more from you.  By the way, you don't have to be crazy to enjoy this forum, but it certainly helps! ;D  I know you will fit in here. :flower;

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2008, 10:39:24 AM »

Welcome to the site.  It is hard to raise a family and keep going with dialysis. I started when I was 35 and had kids who were just becoming teenagers.  It was a rough road but they are grown now and I ams till kicking around here.  Good luck.  Read ally ou can. We are a friendly bunch here.

kitkatz,moderator

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jessup

Gemma - the tucker monster

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2008, 05:09:55 PM »

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »