I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2024, 09:26:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  New labs
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New labs  (Read 2222 times)
dkerr

It is what it is . . .

« on: October 04, 2008, 06:01:53 PM »

So, I've spent the last month training my replacement at work.  She is supposed to take over my job 100% on 18 October.  So, here's the kicker.  My labs a month ago showed creatinine to be a 4.2 and my GFR at 12 ... labs taken last Monday showed my creatinine had dropped to 3.7 and my GFR at 13.

Labs a month ago showed my hematocrit, hemoglobin, etc. absolutely on target.  This time showed my numbers were low.

We were figuring I'd be starting dialysis before the end of the year, my creatinine dropping has me wondering. Yes its good that it dropped, but, I'm going to be out of work by the end of November.  I don't think Social Security would approve disability now my numbers are lower.  Now what?
Wallyz

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 09:09:05 PM »

Run it on the original numbers. If they ask for updates, give it to them with a doctor's note saying that your function is unstable, and the underlying condition is worsening.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 09:36:35 PM »

Normally disability isn't approved until dialysis is imminent. I didn't get mine until after my fistula surgery even though it was retroactive for 6 months. There is a 5 month period after the date you are declared disabled until you start receiving payments.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 09:55:09 PM »

Right flip and in my case the case worker actually stood with the papers and clipboard, signed the form as the nurse hit the treatment button.  Said that was the only way he could do this legally....

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
dkerr

It is what it is . . .

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 07:59:54 AM »

wow
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 08:49:01 AM »

Kidney failure is a GFR below 15.    Even though it went from 12 to 13 you are still in Stage 5 kidney failure.

Its easier once on dialysis to get Social Security, however you do not need to actually be on dialysis to get it.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 02:30:13 PM »

dkerr, I am pre-dialysis and was approved for ss disability.  I am on the transplant list, but really the SS goes by your numbers.  Below 15 is End Stage and should be an easy approval.  I did all of mine online. Never had to meet face to face with anyone.  They sent me forms to sign, called me one time to verify doctors, etc. Three months later I was approved with a year of back pay also.  My first payment came a month later.   They determined I was disabled long before I applied.    So, at least contact the SS or go online and get information.  It  isn't as much as when I was working, but when I deduct clothes for work, gas, car expenses, lunches, etc. it isn't too far.  Let us know how things go.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »