I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:34:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Internet at Dialysis?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Internet at Dialysis?  (Read 6418 times)
kianhu

« on: May 06, 2007, 11:14:40 AM »

I am curious.  Do any of you guys have internet access at dialysis?   And do you have individual televisions?  Thanks.   :popcorn;

Kimberly
Chicken Little

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 11:35:14 AM »

We have individual TVs.  I have internet access and movies too on my Treo. 
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 04:20:39 PM »

no internet but personal TV is there..Boxman55

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 05:33:14 PM »

No internet whatsoever.  And signal don't seem to penetrate the hospital, so I can't even use a laptop to capture the wireless (in fact, our cell phones don't work in the unit, except you are in this one chair near a back door!)
There are two televisions and 8 chairs.  Only about 4 people can see the television easily, and you usually have to watch whatever someone else wants to watch.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 05:58:19 PM »

Each station has its own little tv and we have wireless internet access.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 09:24:26 PM »

We have individual TVs and you had better have your own headphones with you. Some of the TVS are set for headphone sound only.  I have no idea if wireless would work in the old building.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 06:33:15 PM »

personal  tv,some  of  the  remotes  don't  work,gonna  be  replaced  1  day  ,  some  century.manager  wants  to  charge  $2 week  for  tv, does,nt  know  how  to  implement,so  never  get  done.
internet  access,  that  would  be  heaven. :2thumbsup;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
kianhu

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 10:04:22 PM »

Charge $2 a week for TV.  How ridiculous is that?  As if you dont pay enough already.  That is unbelievable.  What company is it? 

Kimberly
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 02:19:30 AM »

its  a  hospital  rental  company,they've  got  a  stranglehold  on  the  tv  buisnes  here  in  melbourne  and  throughout  australia.
when  i  had  surgery  to  have  a  nephrectomy  in  jan 07,they  were  charging  $7  a  day. >:(

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 07:03:15 AM »

We have personal flat screen TVs with satellite reception.  Once the wireless system is installed (we are on the waiting list) there should be an unsecured access channel for patient to connect to.

It's not easy being green.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 12:14:43 PM »

Here's a link to an article I wrote for NN&I about getting internet access at Northwest Kidney Centers http://www.speakeasy.org/~bpeckham/internet.html

And here is a five year update written by the NKC CEO J Jackson (pdf lnk) http://www.nwkidney.org/images/website/docs/InternetArticleNNI.pdf

Bottom line: all NKC units have donation funded internet access and three loner laptops (donated by the Gates Foundation), there are volunteers available to show online newbies how to set up an email account, etc. All stations have a ceiling mounted TV, a ceiling mounted radiant heat panel, a call button, privacy curtains (should the need arise), ceiling mounted dimmable  light as well as the individually switched fluorescent light bank which is turned on during on during cannulation (and decannulation) but is otherwise left off (I hate visiting units and having to dialyze under a bank of fluorescent lights).

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 03:02:28 PM »

We have individual TV's that are affixed to the ceiling so you have to lean really far back in the chair to view them properly.  If you have vision issues (like me) it's really a waste of time.  I really wish our TV's were set to "headphones only" because then I could watch a movie in peace.  My sister gave me a portable DVD player for Christmas so I bring my Netflix DVD's and try to lose myself.

The satellite TV only gets 6 channels so I doubt we'll ever have internet access.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
pierrat

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 12:38:52 PM »

We have personal flat screen TVs with satellite reception.  Once the wireless system is installed (we are on the waiting list) there should be an unsecured access channel for patient to connect to.

Good lord, where are you going to dialysis, Beverly Hills?
pierrat

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 12:42:10 PM »

All we have are 6 inch tv's attached to a adjustable arm, Its a Davita clinic. Theirs an attorneys office upstairs and if you can sit in the chair all the way to the back you might be able to catch onto their wifi system. I bypassed all that and paying for Sprint EVDO coverage which is broadband speed internet with the same coverage as the cellular network so its not restriced to the couple hundred feet of a wifi hotspot.
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 06:22:36 AM »

Good lord, where are you going to dialysis, Beverly Hills?

No, we are in the midwest.  The screens aren't huge plasmas or anything like that.  They are on the same kind of adjustable arms most places have, and are about 12 inches.

It's not easy being green.
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 11:15:28 AM »

In this day and age I think I would refuse to dialyze anyplace that did not have broadband access available.  The boredom and monotony was difficult during the 3 years I spent on dialysis and I would not repeat it the same way again. 

I purchased a laptop specifically to use during treatment but getting any sort of broadband into the unit was impossible then.  Wifi was a glimmer in the eyes of a few engineers, there was no CATV entry to the building, and neither cable based broadband or DSL existed in the area at the time.

Today there are many more options available.  If the unit didn't have access I'd probably try to glom on to a nearby open wifi connection or offer to pay for broadband at the unit myself.  There are other options available as well such as satelite based broadband that will work anywhere if cable or DSL based broadband isn't available.
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 12:48:27 PM »

Agree with livecam (for once!  :P)....I don't watch too much TV, so I got a small laptop to be connected while on dialysis. On my little machine I can read weird websites like this one ( ;D) ;D and if i want I can watch movies or catch up a TV show if I want to.
At my center they did have internet access...but now i am at home.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 09:19:37 PM »

Weird websites? Us??

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »