I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:18:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant Recipients: What side effects do you have from transplant meds?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant Recipients: What side effects do you have from transplant meds?  (Read 18351 times)
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2007, 08:13:48 AM »

My transplant center gave me an information packet that llist what potential side effects can occur from each time of immunosupressant used. I wasn't caught off guard, Wish I had the hair loss that I have read about in another transplant forum, wouldn't have to shave so much :lol;

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Krisna

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2007, 06:56:45 PM »

Well, I don't have a transplant right now but I've had four of them so let's see if I can remember all that happened from the meds.

Imuran (which is no longer used) cause bone disease and my parathyroids to become overactive.

Prednisone - night sweats; weight gain; chubby cheeks;  mood swings; insomnia; nausea, vomiting, or stomach upset; fatigue or dizziness; muscle weakness or joint pain; or increased hunger or thirst.

Prograf - Constipation

Cellcept - Acne; anxiety; back pain; constipation; dizziness; headache; increased hair growth; indigestion; loss of appetite; muscle cramps; muscle or joint pain; nausea; shakiness; sleeplessness; stomach bloating; weakness; weight gain.

I took Cyclosporin for short time with my 2nd transplant too but not long enough to experience any side effects!

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2007, 06:45:43 AM »

Well, I don't have a transplant right now but I've had four of them so let's see if I can remember all that happened from the meds.

Imuran (which is no longer used) cause bone disease and my parathyroids to become overactive.

Your the 2nd person on here that has had problems with Imuran, I was on it for a long time, but for a different reason, not for a transplant.. but I never had any side-effects from it...  it worked good for what i was taking it for and that was it.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2007, 03:12:37 PM »

I hope you are feeling ok. You have been through a lot.  :)

EDITED: Fixed Quote - okarol/moderator
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 03:17:41 PM by okarol » Logged
Jenny

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2007, 06:27:57 PM »

The aspirin is so that the blood does not clot. Adjel has a more severe case, so he is on warfarin, which is a blood thinner, just like aspirin, but it has a certain level that it has to be. It has to be built up. Aspirin does the same thing, but there is no clotting time test.
oswald

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2007, 08:31:23 PM »

i take 5 mgs of predisone per day,  1000 mgs of cellcept twice a day, 2 mgs of prograf twice a day.  i have seen no ill side effects.  however my wife says she has seen my hands tremble once in awhile.  i did not know that was a side effect of prograf. 

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2007, 09:17:16 PM »

i take 5 mgs of predisone per day,  1000 mgs of cellcept twice a day, 2 mgs of prograf twice a day.  i have seen no ill side effects.  however my wife says she has seen my hands tremble once in awhile.  i did not know that was a side effect of prograf. 

It's also a side effect of prednisone.

oswald

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2007, 09:26:13 PM »

i did not know that. 

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
Katonsdad

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2007, 07:10:06 PM »

Thanks for all the great tips ...... Now I can say my crappy handwriting is from the hand tremors from Prograf not that I just write crappy ..

Actually I take Prograf  5 mg X2  ,   Predizone  5 mg 1 a day and they added Zocor as a new drug for the Cholesterol and the Transplant
(New Doctor did that)

Side effects is Hair loss from the Prgraf (read on their Website it causes hair loss) Tremors in right hand and the
worst side effect is an increased chance for Skin Cancer .   I have had several spots removed and it is due to the immono drugs,

Well  , I can wear a hat and slather myself in SPF100 , It is still worth the side effects

Katonsdad

Diabetes 1976
Eye issues 1987
Kidney Failure 1997
CAPD 1997 , Stopped 1997 due to infections evey 28 days
Started In Center Hemo 1997
Received Kidney/Pancreas transplant 1999 at UCLA
Wife and I had son in 2001 , by donor for my part (Stopping the illness train)
Kidney failed 2011 , Back on Hemo . Looking to retransplant as the Kidney is still working

Soft kitty, warm kitty,
 little ball of fur,
happy kitty,sleepy kitty,
 purr purr purr ::
Sheldon and Penny on The Big Bng Theory
st789

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2007, 01:10:14 PM »

Shilvering in the summer.  Feeling cold quite often even after transplant.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2007, 12:50:55 PM »

Like a few others, I had a transplant long ago enough to have been on Imuran. I honestly don't think I had any problems from it. I was on it from such a young age (7.5) that I don't know what was a side effect and what was just me.

January 1982: imuran and prednisone
March 2002: imuran, prednisone, prograf, and cyclosporine for a time. Dropped cyclo and switched to cell-cept. Dropped cell-cept & imuran, remained on prednisone & prograf for the remainder of the transplant.

I'm FINALLY being weaned off the prednisone and am a week away from being off it for the first time since my first transplant.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2007, 06:46:25 PM »

Like a few others, I had a transplant long ago enough to have been on Imuran. I honestly don't think I had any problems from it. I was on it from such a young age (7.5) that I don't know what was a side effect and what was just me.

January 1982: imuran and prednisone
March 2002: imuran, prednisone, prograf, and cyclosporine for a time. Dropped cyclo and switched to cell-cept. Dropped cell-cept & imuran, remained on prednisone & prograf for the remainder of the transplant.

I'm FINALLY being weaned off the prednisone and am a week away from being off it for the first time since my first transplant.
So glad you get to come off the evil/good drug.  >:D

Just Me

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »

I had my transplant on November 29th and the only side effect I've had is swelling in my abdomen (near my incision).  My doctor thinks it is from the Sirolimus (aka Rapamune).  I also had 4 days of Thymoglobulin at the hospital and I go in for an IV infusion of Belatacept (a new drug in phase III trial stage) every 2 weeks and it will eventually be just once a month.  Other than the swelling, I feel great!

(no Prograf, Prednisone, or Cellcept for me!)

Learned of kidney failure--2000
Met with transplant team--Jan 2007
1st transplant surgery canceled--Sept 20, 2007
New donor found--October 2007
Started PD--October 16, 2007
Transplant scheduled for Nov 29, 2007!
Gram2Twinz

Perfect Match

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2008, 03:03:49 PM »

Could this be a side effect of the post transplant medication- fingernail changes? I looked up online and the closest name I could come up with is: "Half & Half Nails"- turning opaque white from the "moon" and working its way to the tip of each and every nail. Any ideas? Our transplant RN doesn't seem to know. We will go to clinic in the morning and see if anyone has any ideas, but this is the best place to start! Any similar issues with fingernail health, either pre or post transplant?

Husband diagnosed w/ 1 working kidney 1975 Mayo Clinic
A/V Fistula March 2004
Placed on transplant list July 2004
In center dialysis began July 2007
Home Hemo NxStage training began Nov. 2007
Rockford, IL Davita-Roxbury Center
1st patient trained for home hemo by this center
Transplant 6-5-08 Loyola@Chicago
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2008, 03:34:14 PM »

My fingernails are a lot stronger. Not sure if that's due to the transplant meds or some other meds I'm on though or some effect of a working kidney (well halfway working kidney).

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2008, 05:40:16 PM »

I never looked it up myself, but there are so many things going on with me that I am not sure I can contribute it to the transplant meds. But I have noticed a change.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2008, 09:51:12 PM »

Could this be a side effect of the post transplant medication- fingernail changes? I looked up online and the closest name I could come up with is: "Half & Half Nails"- turning opaque white from the "moon" and working its way to the tip of each and every nail. Any ideas? Our transplant RN doesn't seem to know. We will go to clinic in the morning and see if anyone has any ideas, but this is the best place to start! Any similar issues with fingernail health, either pre or post transplant?

Hi GT2,
Are you taking Rapumune (sirolimus)? I found the following:

Nail and Hair Pathologies

...reported nail abnormalities in 74% of patients studied. Pathologies included nail fragility, slow growth, longitudinal ridging or fissures, distal onycholysis, erythema, and splinter hemorrhages of the nail plate. Mild hair loss of the scalp and hypertrichosis of the face was also reported. (1) However, patients receiving hemodialysis and renal transplants often have nail findings including onychomycosis, splinter hemorrhages, leukonychia, longitudinal ridging, and half-and-half nails. (15)

In the study performed by Mahe et al, few non-melanoma skin cancers were reported. Other miscellaneous skin changes including xerosis, fragility, hyperpigmentation of the face, acrocyanosis, Raynaud's phenomenon, Henoch-Schonlein purpura in one patient, psoriasis and alopecia areata in one patient, and alopecia areata in a single patient developed over the course of the trial. Whether or not these events were related to the administration of sirolimus could not be determined.

Although the mechanism may be unclear, it is apparent that sirolimus is capable of producing a variety of skin disorders. Acne-like eruptions, edemas, xerosis, aphthous ulceration, epistaxis, and nail involvement are the most frequently reported and nearly all of these resolved only with the discontinuation of sirolimus. Therefore, in order for a dermatologist to effectively and efficiently treat a patient with such a reaction, he must be acquainted with the many cutaneous effects of sirolimus as well as the risks and benefits of discontinuing therapy. Further, as the use of sirolimus increases due to transplant-related malignancy, dermatologists may be faced with the dilemma of battling sirolimus related cutaneous side effects or the return to prior therapies, such as cyclosporine and their associated toxicities.

More info here: http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/wiki/doku.php?id=lymphedema_from_sirolimus_treatment

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Gram2Twinz

Perfect Match

« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2008, 09:24:28 PM »

Okarol- thanks for info- however- hubby  is taking Neoral-cyclospoine, they are thinking of changing to Rapamune. I will mention the information you posted when we speak to our RN. Thanks for the information- I knew I was asking the right group- Wow you guys are GOOODDDDD!! :2thumbsup;

Husband diagnosed w/ 1 working kidney 1975 Mayo Clinic
A/V Fistula March 2004
Placed on transplant list July 2004
In center dialysis began July 2007
Home Hemo NxStage training began Nov. 2007
Rockford, IL Davita-Roxbury Center
1st patient trained for home hemo by this center
Transplant 6-5-08 Loyola@Chicago
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »