I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 06:23:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  dialysis and college students
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: dialysis and college students  (Read 4427 times)
mike22

« on: September 01, 2008, 01:04:18 PM »

Unfortunatly, my kidney transplant failed me after 8yrs. It came at a crucial part in my life,college. I want to know how do some of the college students handle the demands of college along with dialysis, both peritoneal and hemodialysis.  When I was told that i need dialysis, i immediately thought that PD would be the best option.  I even met with a highly recognize surgeon to schedule my surgery. Fortunately, i'm thankful for this, we went both types of dialysis before we schedule a surgery. He even gave me more time to think about it.  My concern with PD is that it is a lot of euipment i have to deal with. Plus i would pretty much have to take care of myself. Im not say that i cant or learn Pd, it could be tough for to manage Pd and college work load. If i do pd at night what time will I have to start. It seems to me I would I have to start pretty early in order to get the required number of hours.  I have to be honest, I bother by that fact.  Here is why, I am concern that It would interfere with my late afternoon activities, especially review sessions,meeting with professors,meeting with study groups or partners. I have to be honest; it would also interfere with my social life.  College it self requires alot in itself to keep up with such as reading assigments, project assigments, exams, papers,etc. I am afraid that PD would distract me from all of this. 

I know about in center hemodialysis becasue i did for 8 months before i got my transplant.  My only concern is how it makes you feel. I know when you start out it is rough. After awhile you get used to.  Plus the center can adjust it around your schedule.

I would like so more insight for you guys.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 01:11:30 PM »

At 18 years old Jenna chose in-center hemo because she wanted to have her evenings free. As it turned out she was advised not to do PD because she had a bladder augmentation surgery and they didn't want her to have any other abdominal surgeries. She now has a transplant, but if she needs dialysis again in the future we will train on NxStage home hemo to give her more control and freedom. Plus she would get better dialysis and more often, which would help avoid that washed out feeling of 3 days a week.
I assume you are talking about going to a local college and not living in a dorm?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
mike22

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 08:03:40 PM »

i would be living in a dorm the hospital fortunately is next to the campus. plus i have a great support system there
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 08:22:40 PM »

Perhaps some others could address the amount of space required for PD supplies, but I think it may be tough in a dorm.

mike22

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 08:25:27 PM »

i didnt considered that when i initially thought about Pd. Im still having a hard time deciding which is best for me
funnygarcia

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 08:51:16 PM »

My husband was in college at the time his transplant failed. He had a hard itme balancing classes, dialysis, family, and work.
It was a very hard last year of school with student teaching added to the demands.

He was on in center dialysis at the time. He did miss out on some afternoon meetings, open house during student teaching.. in center is not always adjustable to your schedule. 

Now he dialyzes at home with NxStage, he can have his runs anytime he likes.. he's running right now after 10 pm in the evening. It too takes up space .. which I think may be a problem in a dorm if you share a room. Maybe ask at college if arrangements can be madefor storage??
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 09:21:52 PM »

Somewhere here you will find home set ups and you can see photos of some PD and home hemo patients set-ups.   I don't know how to "bring the post to you".  Okarol can do it, though.  She's good at this stuff!  ;)   Seeing these photos made a huge impact on my decision.  My doctor recommended hemo, howeve, he said if it were him he'd do "home hemo".  I'm not sure I could do home hemo and when i saw all the photos of "inventory" it really helped with my decision.  I would think a dorm would really be difficult due to space.

Good Luck to you!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 09:29:34 PM »

Good idea, thanks kelly.

Here's the link:  Post pictures here of your Home Dialysis setup. ***NOW WITH PICS*** http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=375.0

mariannas

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 09:55:02 PM »

Well...I'm not in college, but the main reason I chose PD?  Because I wanted to have somewhat of a social life.  I have had a very positive experience with PD myself (but make sure you choose what *you* feel is best...everyone has a different experience) and I chose it because I was told I'd feel more consistent energy-wise (no weird ups and downs because when you do PD you dialyze every day and can constantly get rid of some of those pesky toxins), no needles, and most importantly, because it's flexible.  I basically do my exchanges whenever I want throughout the day as long as I get my daily prescription in.  I do two really short exchanges and then another longer one at a higher solution and it works great because then I have about 6 hours where I can bop around and get stuff done.  I'm also getting a prescription for the icodextrine which can stay in for 12 hours!  I can't wait to use that...especially for weekends when I don't want to be tied down to getting home at a certain time. 

Good luck with whatever route you decide to take.  I certainly admire you for continuing your studies - I think I would have had to been a wimp and cut down to an absurd 3 credits per quarter or something like that!
Jess21

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 10:44:52 AM »

well, I'm in college.  I don't live in a dorm, but I do go to school about an hour away from my house.  I thought about PD but chose hemo just because of the time issues...12 hours a week was much better for me than 9 hours a night.  Plus this way, 4 hours each session and I'm done, unlike PD when I would have had to be on about 8 at night to get off at 5am.  I'm in college, I'd like to have some sort of a social life still.  My center I changed to when I started school again helped with my schedule alot..my first term of school I'd be the only one left on the machine, and would be there until almost 9pm. 

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
mike22

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 11:26:09 AM »

I was told that I would have to do 4 exchanges a day for a month. Then they would test my membrane to see if i could use the cycler.  Currently, I am not on campus for the fall semester because I trying to prepare for dialysis and all the other stuff that is associated with kidney failure. The good thing is being home would allow me some time to adjust to whatever treatment i choose. I go to school in Nashville,Tn and Im from alabama. I have friends outside campus life that could help me. My biggest fear with PD is that it will bog me down on top of my college assignsment. Im sign up for 12 or 13 credit hours, that helps a lot. Having to be on the machine everynite at 8pm to get off at 5am bothers me alot. Usually I dont study in my room
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 02:30:55 PM »

I'm pre-dialysis so take my "advice" sparingly, but I'm sure you could take your study books and such with you to dialysis.  You could use that time as your "study time".  You know, two birds with one stone.  I guess as long as you can manipulate your books and such with just one arm/hand you should be fine.  Right?  Someone on dialysis help me out!!!

Jess21

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 04:57:28 PM »

I'm pre-dialysis so take my "advice" sparingly, but I'm sure you could take your study books and such with you to dialysis. You could use that time as your "study time". You know, two birds with one stone. I guess as long as you can manipulate your books and such with just one arm/hand you should be fine. Right? Someone on dialysis help me out!!!
yup!  That's what I do!  Write notes, make notecards, etc etc etc!  I've learned how to rip a notecard in half with one hand!

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 05:57:54 PM »

I'm so sorry Mike!  You need to face the fact that dialysis is going to interfere with a "normal" life.  No "normal" person has to take 9+ hours out of their wee to go get their blood cleaned and then feel like "shit" for hours on end.

If any center close to you has in-center Nocturnal you could try that.  You go there 3 nights a week and do hemodialysis.   That way your days are free and you don't feel bad after you are done.  You just hook up and sleep for 8 hours which you do anyway. 

Best of luck.

mike22

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 06:15:34 PM »

Rerun, I have never heard of nocturnal dialysis. could you explain more
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 06:30:17 PM »

You can read a bit more here http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_66081.html - Rerun and others who have experience can add more.

florence

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 07:19:03 PM »

My husband started dialysis his freshman year of college.  He did PD all throughout college and law school. He went away to school, so his family was in another state.  His university was very supportive.  They should be able to accommodate your needs -- perhaps they can give you a single dorm room.  My husband was also in a dorm his freshman year and then moved into an apartment.  After law school he started NxStage.  He liked the freedom of PD, but he has better clearances with the NxStage system.  Nothing is "normal" about having to do dialysis while you're trying to have a social life in college, but what my husband has told me is that his survival mechanism has been creating as normal of a life as possible.  Good luck and enjoy college!
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 07:53:07 PM »

You're 100% right, Rerun.  Nocturnal might be his best choice (if available).    I plan on doing nocturnal, as well.

I'll let Rerun and/or Kitkatz tell you more about it, as they are currently doing nocturnal.

karen547

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 07:02:54 AM »

I am attending college full time. I chose to do hemo because as some have said before, I feel like I have more freedom than having to do it over night on pd. I think something else needs to be addressed here as well- how understanding/accommodating are the professors? I have yet to tell my professors about my disease, only because as of yet it has not affected my schooling, but I hope if and when I do tell them they are understanding, especially if I were to need to leave class early, or be absent, etc.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 07:40:34 AM »

As a former college teacher, I'd advise you to speak to your profs at the start of term to let them know that you might have to request special consideration at times, although you'll try of course to get things done on schedule like everyone else.  It just prepares them a bit I think and even though we're "normal" people we do have exceptional and extenuating circumstances that sometimes interfere with our best-laid plans.  I can't imagine they wouldn't be understanding but of course complete idiots can be found any where and at any time.

Best of luck to all of you going to school.  Be sure to take advantage of as much of the college experience as you can, not just the studying, I'd still be in school if someone would pay me to go back.  I'd love to study Art History then Museology to become an art curator.  Either that or a surgeon.  LOL.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
mike22

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 11:03:42 AM »

I am very fortunate to have a strong relationship with the dean of my school who knows my situation. I also have two former instructors who know my situation. All three can asist me in anything I need. Plus there are services for students like me on campus.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »