I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 05:25:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Just got the first bill for antirejection meds...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just got the first bill for antirejection meds...  (Read 2176 times)
draven

« on: December 20, 2008, 08:53:52 PM »

And felt like  :puke;

its going to cost me R9000 a month which is about $924

Put it this way before i was on dialysis i was not even earning half of that.

and my doc informs me that i need to take the real deal pills and not generics. and in case anyone is wondering our government hospitals dont stock most of the pills and a disability grant from the government is a joke less than $100 a month. I'm 27 years old with a History of medical problems so no medical aid over here will want me. so i guess while my parents are alive i better stock up on meds before they kick the bucket :banghead;
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 09:30:09 PM »

Gee, that's really tough Draven. I hope your parents can continue to help you out with these vital medications.

I am very glad here in Australia that the government believes that it is better to subsidise the medications rather than risk someone heading back to dialysis which would cost them even more. Plus of course supporting someone having had a transplant means that, in theory, they can get back into the workplace and pay some tax as well as lead a more productive life.

Fingers crossed for you draven!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 11:30:21 PM »

I am surprised that the transplant team did not thoroughly discuss a plan for your prescription needs after transplant so you would be prepared.
Is there no medication assistance program? No health insurance? Or is this amount after insurance?
Here's a related thread, I know this is primarily info for US patients, but it may help you to research some resources to get you some help. http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=2522.0
I don't understand how anyone could afford to get a transplant under those conditions. Good luck to you!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
circleNthedrain

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 12:12:07 AM »

Sorry to hear this draven.  I would have been happy to send you my leftover cyclosporine after my transplant failed.  That was 2 years ago and it is now long gone.  Perhaps there are others in a similar situation that might be able to help.  Hope you find a solution.

1979 Diagnosed with kidney failure
1979 Right arm fistula
1979 Start hemodialysis
1980 CAPD catheter
1980 Start CAPD
1989 Cadaveric kidney transplant
1995 2nd cadaveric  kidney transplant
2007 Start hemodialysis
2010 Still drawin' wind
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 08:05:18 AM »

that's crazy.   :banghead;

Can you find out the contact information for the drug companies in your country?  We can all send them letters telling them they need to have a patient assistance program  >:D  :Kit n Stik;

Is there a news organization that you can contact?  or a local government representative you can write too?  This is one way to get attention brought to an issue.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
draven

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 10:31:08 PM »

the good news is my parents medical aid (health insurance) has authorized my meds. they will pay most of it. so i will manage for now, but i definitely need to make a plan for the future.

As far as any government/medical assistance our government hospitals are very strict about having transplants and screen patients before being approved. if u fail the screening its dialysis (if u can afford it and there is space. or go home and die.
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 10:50:52 PM »

Wow thats expensive , my first month of meds cost me $ 335 for a month supply and i thought that was steep !

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »