I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 08:17:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  Random Acts of KIndness
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Acts of KIndness  (Read 6295 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: June 07, 2008, 04:26:40 PM »

Thank you Charee for the gift of the chocolate.  I am drooling now over the box! She sent me some RockyLea chocolate from Australia. 

I am dancing  :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; all over the house.  Oops get the mop the drool is flying ,too.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 04:28:51 PM »

That is so sweet!   :2thumbsup;

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 06:47:10 PM »

Some of the best people I have ever known are right here on IHD.  That was very nice, Charee :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 07:51:01 PM »

I recieved a cool card from Kickstart about a week ago. Thanks KS  :-*
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 09:07:27 PM »

Last week I had to sell 4 tickets to "the Cure" concert. I had bought them for my kids but didn't realize Becca had finals the next day so she couldn't go. So I listed them on craigslist and got a call from a guy named James. He only wanted one ticket and I agreed to sell it to him if I didn't get any offers for the 2. (They weren't together anyway, long story) so I said to call me in a few days. I spoke to him again, we decided to find a day to meet, he was having a bad day, getting evicted, so we postponed til Friday. When I finally met him (on the roof at Target they have a garden area, lots of people around, so I wasn't afraid of going alone) we got out of our cars and he handed me the cash. Then I said, "Before I give you this envelope James, I want to tell you something. Just over a year ago a woman came to California and donated a kidney to our daughter, who is about your age. This woman was a stranger, but she traveled from Ohio, went through surgery, all for someone she didn't know. So to honor her I want to do something nice for another stranger. I am giving you two tickets. I hope you can use the extra one." He looked stunned. He said, "Oh my God! I wanted to take my girlfriend, but couldn't afford to. Now I can take her. Thank you so much!" I told him I would appreciate his passing on a good deed someday and he said "I am always doing nice things for people, but no one has ever done anything for me. I will, I will pass it on!" With tears in his eyes, he hugged me and we said good bye. I drove away feeling like a million dollars. I didn't plan on giving him the ticket until I was leaving the house. It just came to me. And I didn't expect to feel that good, but it sure was nice!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 09:50:49 PM »

Nice Karol.  Really really nice. :thumbup;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 10:50:01 PM »

Sure am glad I am in a group with all this kindness. Nothing better than "Do for others what you would like them to do for you." Good for you Charee and Okarol.

Love, Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
CW

Yeah .............That's me!

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 12:39:55 AM »

Random, spontaneous acts of kindness are the best ones. I love the feeling. Good for all of you and thankyou for showing kindness and caring for one another it makes our world a better place for us all.

*Common Sense is an uncommon thing

20 years navigating ESRD
Had a transplant but it rejected

To all of my kidney brothers and sisters who have left too soon -
Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.  I miss you like hell.  ~Edna St Vincent Millay
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 10:09:26 AM »

OMG Okarol, I got goosebumps reading your story. That is beautiful. Pay it forward. Wish there were more people like you, and all others mentioned in this thread, in this world. God Bless you  :cuddle;

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 12:27:02 PM »

How niice of you Charee and Kickstart to remember others on the forum in such a kind way.
And O'Karol what a wonderful thing you did for that young man and his gal.  How kind of you.
We sure do have great people on this forum. 

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 01:09:58 PM »

Nice stories. They will inspire me.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 01:15:14 PM »

got a nice card from Kitkatz                and thank you                    love it
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 10:01:06 PM »

another  random  act  of  kindness  sent  out  yesterday.

now  who  did  it  go  to :bow;

check  your  letter  boxes

dementia  at  42 :sarcasm;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
st789

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 10:17:37 PM »

Good Karma or Bad Karma.
hashim50

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 03:19:43 PM »

What a nice thing to do.  I was a Hospice RN for many years and I attended a death of a man whose caretaker was his mother.  She showed me his will, handwritten on yellow legal paper and it was so pure and simple and really showed what the man had learned prior to his death.  As I remember, it kinda went - "whoever takes my clothes, must take my underwear" (he evidently had a good sense of humor), "I want to tell you that you should search for loove, look for love, find love, cherish love.  I wish I had done more random acts of kindness".

You learned a good lesson, my dear.  Let's all adopt those habits more.

WOW!! What a ride.
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 07:19:26 PM »

Today I took my mom to get an ultrasound of her neck. There was a woman outside the doctor's office alone in a wheelchair. It was not too hot thankfully, but it was sunny. I said 'nice day to get some sun.' She told me she had been waiting outside for an hour! for the medical bus and asked me to tell the office that she was still out there and only had so much oxygen. I told them. It looked like they called and I sat talking to my mom in the waiting room. I asked my mom if she noticed if they had gone out to tell her, nope. I went up to them and asked if they called they said yes the bus will be here in a few minutes. I said can I get some water to take out to her. I looked at my mom and told her that I'd want someone to do that for her.

I sent a card to Boxman with a couple scratchers...wonder if he won anything?! I don't expect a cut.. lol

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 08:41:56 PM »

Marvin and I have a "favorite" Italian restaurant in a nearby town.  On Memorial Day week-end, we were in there having lunch on Sunday.  A group of four came in and sat at the table next to ours (they were two young couples).  One guy in the group asked the waitress for directions to the nearest beach (only about 50 miles from us).  The waitress was clueless on giving directions, so Marvin spoke up.  He invited one guy in the group to come over to our table and sit for directions (Marvin's great with directions -- I suck!).  The young man ended up sitting with us for about 15 minutes.  He had just graduated from Marine boot camp in Parris Island, SC, and his three friends (one was his girl) had driven all night long from West Virigina to pick him up and carry him back to WV for a 10-day leave.  They got off track on their way back, and ended up 40 miles off the interstate in our little county.  They had never been to the "beach" and knew they were close and didn't want to miss the opportunity to go.  This well-spoken, polite, clean-cut young man said after his leave, he would be deployed to Iraq; he said he was eager to serve his country.  He's 19 years old.  Marvin shook his hand before he left our table and thanked him for serving our country.

After our conversation, we all ate our lunch.  Marvin privately called the waitress over and asked for the other group's bill.  Then, he asked me to write a note on a napkin that said, "Thanks for your service to our country and for doing your part to make sure my wife and I stay safe and free.  Be careful.  God bless you and keep you safe from harm."  As we were leaving, the young man thanked us again for giving directions.  We never told the young people that we had paid for their lunch -- the waitress did after we left.

A few days ago, Marvin and I were back in the same restaurant.  The same waitress (hey, it's a small town and everybody local knows everybody else) brought us a sheet of an order pad.  She said the young Marine and his friends left us a note in return for buying their lunch.  On the back of the order pad, it read, "Thank you very much for your kindness.  I am very proud to serve a country with people like you here...Pvt. Murdock."  We treasure that young Marine's "thank you" note and have put in the box where we keep all of our most precious memories.  By now, that young man is probably on his way to Iraq.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 09:05:20 PM »

:2thumbsup; That's so cool petey - big hugs to you and Marvin!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 05:05:43 PM »

just  a  great  big  thank  you  to  miss  twirl  for  the  parcel,  i  recieved  in  the  post  today

the  mrs  says  thanks  and it  will  be  anice  surprise  for  when  my  daughter gets  home  from  school  this  arvo :thumbup; :yahoo; :thx; :cuddle;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
funnygarcia

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 10:03:10 PM »

Petey.. thank you for that touching story.

My nephew is a young Marine, he will be on his first deployment to Iraq very soon.

He grew up in my hometown, we only visited twice a year during his growing years.

During my family's year of living in California, we became better acquainted with him as he was stationed at Pendleton. Hubby and I believe there is a reason for all things that happen.. maybe the reason why we had that year in California was to be there to support him during his training.. and be the support he will need on his next journey on this deployment. 

Bless you and your husband for your kindness.
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »

3 weeks ago Rob, Brendan and I volunteered at this place called Cradles to Crayons http://www.cradlestocrayons.org/2/index.php.  It's a great charity that helps children from birth to 12 have all the necessities they need, like clothing, diapers, backpacks, books, bedding, you name it.  We give money each year for backpacks to kids who don't have the money for them or for school supplies.  This year I wanted to do even more.  They have 2 wharehouses, 1 in Boston the other in Philadephia.  So, I signed us up to help out in their wharehouse.  It was so much fun!  This place has TONS of stuff that people have generously donated.  We got to sort through books, putting them into proper age categories, then we sorted through stuffed animals for the kids.  I wish I had brought some of Brendan's clothes that don't fit him anymore, but I think we'll be making another trip soon to do that.  We are looking forward to volunteering again.  Friends of ours loved the thought of this and they want to do it with us next time.

What I really enjoyed was giving back to the community.  Rob and Brendan really got into it also and had a blast.  We are teaching Brendan about charities and how good it feels to give back.  He really got into it!  He wants to bring a bunch of the books that he doesn't read anymore also.

We have also been teaching Brendan about being respectful to others and to treat others as he wants to be treated.  This is stuff he never learned during his time in DSS.  Well, he has really gotten into it!  He gets really mad when he sees litter strewn about or when people litter in front of him.  He now picks up litter and throws it away without question.  We can be out in parking lots or in doctor's offices, wherever and he picks it up and throws it away.  What a great kid I have!   :flower;

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »