I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 05:25:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Tattoos and Dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tattoos and Dialysis  (Read 9775 times)
karen547

« on: August 22, 2008, 11:06:37 AM »

Hi all. I have been interested in getting a small tattoo of a dragonfly on my shoulderblade. I am wondering if this will affect my dialysis at all? I know about the risk of infection but I have wanted a tattoo for a long time now, and since dragonflies represent change, I thought it would be quite fitting .
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 11:33:12 AM »

Here's a related thread. http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=855.0

and this too http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=859.0

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
qwerty

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 04:46:36 PM »

I have several clients who have tattoos since they have been on dialysis without problem. Our Nephro doesnt advise against them and is of the opinion if they are kept clean during the healing process there shouldnt be an issue. He tells our patients to "go for it". Just be sure you check out the tattoo artist and the shop very closely (portfolio, autoclave, disinfection process, new needles, disposable ink wells) same as anyone without CKD should do anyway. By the way I have 8 rather large tattoos myself  :secret;
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 09:57:25 AM »

I have had a tatt done while on PD with no probs. Just make sure the place you go is a good one , the guy i went to was brilliant and pretty clued up , he did mention it might affect my blood results , if i had any done soon after it ! But all was good and it didnt take any longer to heal than my other tatts that i had from years before.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 03:46:12 PM »

I always wanted a tattoo like small Celtic Cross on my shoulder in the back.  I still might get it if I find a good place I trust.

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 03:57:12 PM »

Just wondering, since my sister and so many others I have seen have a tattoo is on one of their shoulders is there some signifance in putting in on the shoulder?  It just seems that is where everyone seems to be theirs (their first anyways)?  Yeah, I should have asked my sister but we are not around one another anymore..........just thought I would ask here..........

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 04:40:33 PM »

My first was put on the top of my arm not the back of my shoulder...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
alrightstill

BAH!

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 12:17:03 AM »

My dog recently passed and I wanted to get an outline of a silouhette of him somewhere..

But for the longest time before that I have been wanting to get a little kidney on my wrist.. you know, since I dont have any in my body, might as well have one on the outside.   :shy; 

I asked my neph last month about it and he said "absolutely not.." when I asked why he admitted it wasn't because of anything relating to dialysis, but he is just against them period.  haha.  So yeah, he wasn't much help. 

I went to talk to a tattoo guy last week and he said they use clean gloves and open new needles each and everytime they do a tat..

I'm wondering, you know how if we go to the dentist we have to take a dose of antibiotics first (well.. at least I do..?) .. would that be the same for getting a tat?  And like someonen asked in another thread.. would it effect your odds of getting a transplant? 

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »