I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 07:51:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I have some results back already
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have some results back already  (Read 2885 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: August 19, 2008, 03:16:26 AM »

Well i spent most of the day hanging round the hospital to see a doctor and get my bloods done to see if they can find what is making me feel so  :puke; Already they rang me this morning with some results my Hemoglobin is very low .its dropped from 10.7 to 7.2 since i had my last blood test. (the nurse even asked me if i was doing my dialysis !) I still have to wait to see if i have a virus as it takes 3 days to grow a culture for it.
I know that iron is going to help raise my levels but has anyone else had low hemoglobin ? How did you feel? What treatment did you have? How long did it take to recover ? Cheers guys  :thumbup;

Ps I forgot to add .. i cant have EPO  because my BP is too high , i was told this morning.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 03:21:47 AM by KICKSTART » Logged

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 03:52:59 AM »

When my  hemoglobin  is low, I feel mostly tired. Right now, it is at 10, and, naps are my best friend. The Nurse said they will increase my Epo, they started that yesterday. I hope they get you figured out soon, and, you start feeling better  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 03:59:45 AM »

when my hemo is low I feel so tired
I can tell when it is getting higher b/c I have more engery
Kickstart, I hope you feel better
 :flower; :flower; :flower; to you
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 04:01:09 AM »

hit the wrong key :thumbdown;
I was getting :puke; almost every D day
until I told IHD and Flip suggested that it may be anxiety attacks
and he must have been right
they are much better :urcrazy;
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 04:05:46 AM »

I know that iron is going to help raise my levels but has anyone else had low hemoglobin ? How did you feel? What treatment did you have? How long did it take to recover ? Cheers guys

Ps I forgot to add .. i cant have EPO because my BP is too high , i was told this morning.

Iron will help raise the hemoglobin level, but it generally takes quite a while to do so.  EPO combined with iron is usually the best method.  Without EPO (due to your elevated blood pressure), you might eventually require a blood transfusion.
At least you are getting some answers.  I hope you start on the mend soon!   :cuddle;

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 06:01:26 AM »

Is there any chance that they can get the bp down so that you can have epo?  Sounds like iron will take a long time to help.  Hope you start feeling better soon.  It does sound like you need to do as much resting as possible to conserve energy.  If you were over here I would come by with an "eye of round" every week :cuddle;.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
karen547

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 06:42:30 AM »

I have the same thing with my hemoglobin. I am taking iron in pill form as it makes me sick in iv form. I feel really tired if my HG gets to low, as well as nauseated/irritable. Luckily its working and my levels are rising.
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 07:47:36 AM »

Kickstart
Don't really know what to say as I havn't had that problem yet except hope you get this sorted and you are soon feeling better. About your blood pressure; has your doctor ever prescribed a diuretic (water tablet) which if you are still peeing could bring your BP down?

Ken
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 09:01:56 AM »

You can take all the iron in the world but it won't help to elevate your hemoglobin level unless you have EPO.  The two work in combination, and neither is sufficient by itself.  Usually EPO is regarded as too dangerous to give only to patients with a high hemoglobin level, which you don't have.  The only solution for your situation is to try to lower the blood pressure so that EPO can be given, since you really cannot function at a hemoglobin level below 8.  If it stays there or continues to sink, you will have to have blood transfusions, which is how dialysis patients were treated before EPO was developed in the early 1980s.  The downside of this is that each blood transfusion will increase your panel reactive antibody levels, which will make it more difficult for you to find a compatible donor kidney for transplant in the future.  If you can stand it, try to put off the blood transfusion until your blood pressure can be reduced and the EPO injections can be started.  This will preserve your transplant options for the future.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 11:15:47 AM »

Thanks everyone ,,interesting comments . I have taken onboard what you say about Epo and i guess just giving me iron is like filling a leaky bucket without fixing the hole in it! Trouble is they havent been able to get my BP under control for over 2 years now as i cant tolerate the medication (yes i have tried loads of different ones) The one im on at the moment has the very least side effect of a continuos cough and i mean 24/7, but i have to tolerate that to gain a little benefit from my BP meds. As for a transfusion not being good for my chances of a transplant well .. im not even on the list and not sure i ever will be , but thats a whole other subject.
Ken , thanks for mentioning Frusemide  , yes i still have a good urine output but Frusemide doesnt work anymore , i have had several large doses in the past with no result.
Pelagia ..what a shame you are so far away , that 'eye of round' sounds really good ! :2thumbsup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 12:03:06 PM »

Yes, all the above feelings.....That's why ND felt it necessary to give me 5 transfusions since spring 2007 and neph here just put me on EPO and IV Iron and I and hemog are doing fine...........I had no clue about risks to transplants...I just knew I couldn't function anymore and just went ahead.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 06:52:13 PM »

Dustin at one time had a transfusion 2 bags of blood when he was low like yours. He was very anemic with his, tired and slept alot.

Lori/Indiana
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »