I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 12:01:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  button holes and "scabs" and venal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: button holes and "scabs" and venal  (Read 2050 times)
fuzzyL

« on: November 27, 2012, 05:04:17 PM »

my button hole is starting to mature, wondering about tips for removing "scabs"--also having trouble getting blunt in venal--any tips on that---thank you
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 05:27:14 PM »

I have dialysis at 10 in the morning.  I shower 1 hour before.  As soon as I get out of the shower I put EMLA cream on.  I cover each buttonhole with a tiny piece of Saran Wrap and a piece of tape.  It gets the scabs nice and soft and they pick right off with the pointed cap at the end of the needle. 
KatieV

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 08:11:34 AM »

I dialyze at home with NxStage.  My buttonholes seem to scab up very hard, very quickly.  I put EMLA cream on with a tegaderm over it (thanks to whoever suggested ordering them on Amazon!) about 3 pm.  I get home from work about 6 pm and get on NxStage ASAP.  Because the EMLA is on for 3 hours, I don't get the numbing, but my scabs dissolve nicely.  I also take a 2x2 gauze, soak it with water, and apply dish soap (with antibiotic in it) directly over each site for about 15 minutes. 

If I don't do that or am late putting EMLA on, my husband (the needle-stabber) can tell the difference.  Besides having to really poke at the scabs, he feels the track is tougher.

About the venous - is it deep?  Mine sometimes moves deeper and we have to use a 1.25" needle.  We also take off the tourniquet after getting the arterial needle in.  If we happen to forget, the venous does not go in!  Also, try different arm positions - my arm has to lay in a certain way with my palm up. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 2007 - Brother diagnosed with ESRD, started dialysis 3 days later
April 2007 - Myself and sister also diagnosed with Senior-Loken Syndrome (Juvenile Nephronophthisis and Retintis Pigmentosa)

Since then, I've tried PD three times unsuccessfully, done In-Center hemo, NxStage short daily, Nocturnal NxStage, and had two transplants.  Currently doing NxStage short daily while waiting for a third transplant.

Married Sept. 2011 to my wonderful husband, James, who jumped into NxStage training only 51 days after our wedding!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
big777bill

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 11:51:58 AM »

I do the same thing as Katie. The only difference is that I use triple antibiotic cream. The scabs are nice and soft when the bandaids are removed! :2thumbsup;

liver transplant 3/22/2005
CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012
 started  hemo-dialysis in center 2/07/2012
 fistula transposition 3/08/2012
 NxStage at home  3/29/2012
 Using fistula at home 6/25/2012
 Using new NxStage S High-Flow cycler 3/04/2014
fuzzyL

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:12:36 PM »

Thank you all !!!! for your help