I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 12:33:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  renagel vs renvela
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: renagel vs renvela  (Read 14322 times)
7piglets

Me and the boys

« on: August 18, 2008, 05:18:55 AM »

is renagel now renvella when I took renvela I had a reaction and I was switched back to renagel now I am being told renagel will no longer be available
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 06:57:05 AM »

Hi,

Wow, Renagel will not be available?  This is what my husband takes, and I know many
others on here do also.  I have not heard this -   did anyone else?

Anne
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 03:24:39 AM »

We have Renagel over here UK , no mention of it being stopped.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 05:15:54 AM »

I have heard nothing to that effect.

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
7piglets

Me and the boys

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 05:20:33 AM »

Thanks I am going to just contact the company..I am suret they are lying to get us all to switch to same med...
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 05:43:58 AM »

Below is a press release from last summer.  It says near the bottom that Renvela is a "buffered" form of the same compound in Renagel, which means that it should be kinder on the digestive systems (e.g. buffered aspirin).  I am going to post a second message with some links to other info.

Genzyme announces results of clinical trials of Renvela and Renagel

Published: Tuesday, 19-Jun-2007

Medical Studies/Trials

Genzyme Corp. has announced the results of two new studies comparing a powder form of Renvela (sevelamer carbonate) to Renagel tablets (sevelamer hydrochloride), including one trial in which patients received the powder form three times per day, and one in which it was administered once per day.

Genzyme is developing Renvela in powder form to provide an additional option for patients with chronic kidney disease in managing their phosphate levels. A New Drug Application for Renvela tablets is already on file with the FDA, and previous studies have shown that the tablet formulation provides equivalent phosphate control to Renagel in patients on dialysis and significant phosphorus control in patients with chronic kidney disease who are not on dialysis. Today's results are the first from trials comparing the efficacy of the powder form of Renvela to Renagel tablets.

In the first powder trial, patients treated with the powder form of Renvela three times per day experienced equivalent phosphorus control to patients treated with Renagel tablets three times per day. As a result, this trial successfully met its primary endpoint.

In the second trial, patients dosed with the powder form of Renvela once per day and those treated with Renagel tablets three times per day achieved statistically significant reductions in serum phosphorus, with both groups reaching target levels for phosphorus control outlined in the K/DOQI treatment guidelines. Phosphorus levels in the Renagel arm (4.6 mg/dL) were lower than those in the Renvela arm (5.3 mg/dL), and this trial did not achieve its primary endpoint of demonstrating non-inferiority of Renvela powder dosed once per day to Renagel tablets dosed three times per day.

In both trials, the safety profile of Renvela was consistent with the previous clinical experience of patients on dialysis using Renagel.

With today's results, Genzyme has concluded that the powder formulation of Renvela dosed three times per day may represent a promising alternative for patients with chronic kidney disease. The company will continue to move ahead aggressively with clinical and regulatory plans for the powder formulation dosed three times per day, and these data will form part of an NDA submission in the first half of 2008.

"We are very pleased with the progress we have made to date in our multi- faceted development program for Renvela, including filing an NDA for patients on dialysis, completing a successful trial in the pre-dialysis population, and demonstrating the effectiveness of the powder formulation dosed three times per day," said John P. Butler, president, Genzyme Renal. "Results of the once- per-day trial were greatly influenced by the strong phosphorus reduction seen in the Renagel arm, which was superior to that seen in all but one previously conducted clinical trials. While today's results will not currently support a regulatory filing for once-per-day dosing, they are clinically meaningful and give us confidence that this approach can be effective. We will continue to work with regulatory authorities to design an appropriate clinical plan to gain approval for this dosing regimen."

About Renvela

Renvela is a buffered form of Renagel, the most-prescribed phosphate binder in the United States. Like Renagel, Renvela is a calcium-free, metal- free, non-absorbed phosphate binder, and will be available as 800mg tablets once approved. A New Drug Application for Renvela is currently under review by the US Food and Drug Administration for the control of serum phosphorus in patients with chronic kidney disease on dialysis.

In April, Genzyme announced that a new clinical trial showed that Renvela significantly reduced serum phosphorus, calcium-phosphorus product and LDL cholesterol in hyperphosphatemic patients with chronic kidney disease who are not on dialysis. Additionally, data showing the equivalence of sevelamer carbonate and sevelamer hydrochloride were presented at the 2007 spring clinical meeting of the National Kidney Foundation.

Renagel controls serum phosphorus in patients with CKD on hemodialysis. Controlling serum phosphorus is an important element in the care of hemodialysis patients. Elevated serum phosphorus levels are common in dialysis patients and associated with increased risk of cardiovascular mortality. Renagel provides the added benefit of significant LDL cholesterol reduction (32 percent).

The National Kidney Foundation's 2003 K/DOQI guidelines for Bone Metabolism and Disease in Chronic Kidney Disease recommend sevelamer hydrochloride as a first-line treatment option to control phosphorus. Renagel is the only phosphate binder available that does not contain either calcium or a metal. It has an established safety profile, is not systemically absorbed and provides phosphorus control without the concerns of calcium or metal accumulation. Renagel is used by more than 350,000 people worldwide.

Renagel is indicated for the control of serum phosphorus in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) on hemodialysis. Renagel is contraindicated in patients with hypophosphatemia or bowel obstruction. In a 52-week study, the most common side effects included vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, and dyspepsia. Drug-drug interactions may occur with some medications and should be taken into consideration when instructing patients how to take Renagel.

For more information about Renagel, including complete prescribing information, please visit www.renagel.com.

http://www.genzyme.com/

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 05:56:57 AM »

FDA OKs Genzyme's Renvela
10/22/07 - 11:20 AM EDT

"Genzyme (GENZ - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) said Monday it received approval from the Food and Drug Administration to market Renvela, the next-generation version of Renagel, for the control of serum phosphorus in patients with chronic kidney disease.

The company plans to launch Renvela for dialysis patients in the U.S. during the first quarter of next year and is pursuing regulatory approvals in Europe, South America and in other markets internationally. Genzyme is also moving forward with filings for Renvela for patients in earlier phases of kidney disease.

Renagel will still be available, though Genzyme's long-term goal is to transition patients to Renvela. In clinical trials, patients on Renvela had a lower incidence of adverse gastrointestinal events and were more likely to maintain bicarbonate levels in the recommended range."

Shares were up 66 cents, or 0.9%, to $72.26 in recent trading Monday."  (I put the bold in above for emphasis)

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10385714/1/fda-oks-genzymes-renvela.html

Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Genzyme Reports Strong Second-Quarter Growth

"Within the Renal business, sales of sevelamer therapies Renagel(R: 68.05, -2.58, -3.65%) (sevelamer hydrochloride) and Renvela grew 16 percent to $168.6 million from $144.9 million in the second quarter last year. Genzyme launched Renvela in the United States in March, and the product is now included in more than 85 percent of health plan formularies. Formulary access equal to that of Renagel is expected by the end of the third quarter, ahead of Genzyme's expectations."

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/health-care/genyme-reports-strong-second-quarter-growth/

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
karen547

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 06:45:42 AM »

I for some reason always keep forgetting my renagel. I am going to do my best to take it with my meals. I just got labs back and phos was high, so must start taking it every day! i know im naughty for not taking it every meal lol :oops;
7piglets

Me and the boys

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 12:50:58 PM »

pelagia
thank you so much for the info.. I am glad it is still available. I cant take renvela as I had reaction to it..I break out in hives not a stomach reaction. (Then again I break out with hives on cortizone and was told there is a derivative of the med I am allergic too not actually the main component) this maybe the problem with the renvella..All i know is I am not going to switch ..just to switch...thanks again I really appreciate..
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 03:02:50 PM »

Pelagia,

Thank you so much for the info!  Hubby takes the Renagel, and is doing
very, very well on it, his numbers are perfect every month.

I really would not like to have to have him switch to a different med-
when something works so well, why look for a problem ;)

Anne
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »