I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:22:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Stoopid News
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stoopid News  (Read 4678 times)
LightLizard

« on: July 16, 2008, 09:40:17 AM »

Natalie Cole (Nat King Cole's daughter) has been diagnosed with hepatitis C.
The stupid news reporter, ok, the writer of the news article displayed an aggravating lack of intelligence (aggravating to me, anyway) when it was stated 'it is believed that ms Cole was infected with the deadly disease when she was addicted to LSD and heroin, years ago.

First of all, LSD is NOT an addictive substance, but that's not all...

'doctors report that ms Cole's infection is in a 'negative' stage and so she has a good chance of a cure.'

there is NO cure for hep C. once you have it, you have it for life. they may be able to diminish the viral count to the point of being able to survive with the virus, but there is NO cure.

what a bunch of morons!

there, i feel better now.

thanks!

EDITED: Moved to proper section - Sluff/Admin

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 01:10:52 PM by Sluff » Logged
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 01:09:29 PM »

You are 100% correct LL, and it's good to see you again.
annabanana

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:25:08 PM »

And how in hell would she have gotten it from LSD anyway, regardless of it's non-addictive-ness??? Do people inject LSD? (Dumb question, maybe.)

They REALLY should have used this opportunity to inform people about HCV.   

I agree! Morons!  :rant;

caregiver to Randy:
HepC and stage 4 ckd
1 kidney removed (cancer)Aug07
LightLizard

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 04:26:42 PM »

i don't think they were implying that she got the hep c from LSD as much as they were saying she probably got it from her heroin habit, but LSD is NOT addicting, and i must confess to first-hand knowledge of that fact. :oops; (not the heroin, i was always terrified of needles and got my hep c from a transfusion in '51)
its not something that i'm proud of, by any means, but LSD was a part of my past, and there it will stay.
its just so frustrating how the media often gives out bad information and half-truths when their job should be to clear up the confusion with a dose of truth, once in awhile.

and HI sluff! nice to be back, thanks!

love

~LL~
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 04:28:53 PM by LightLizard » Logged
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 04:30:39 PM »

Both LSD and heroin can be injected intravenously.  Intravenous drug use is a major method of transmission of HCV as well as other infectious diseases.  Also, certain strains of HCV are considered "curable", although the virus can remain in undectable amounts in the body.  "Sustained cure rates (sustained viral response) of 75% or better occur in people with genotypes HCV 2 and 3 in 24 weeks of treatment".  (Shiffman ML, Suter F, Bacon BR, et al. (2007). "Peginterferon Alfa-2a and Ribavirin for 16 or 24 weeks in HCV genotype 2 or 3". N Engl J Med 357 (2): 124–134).
I fail to see what is so "stupid" about this story . . .
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 04:40:30 PM by David13 » Logged

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 04:48:06 PM »

I tend to agree, David.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
LightLizard

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 04:55:03 PM »

i agree too, mostly. LSD is not really very useful for injecting, though. if one can obtain it in liquid form (very, very rare) it would be possible, but, the drug demands a gradual -more than rapid absorbsion, and injecting it would be much too rapid a transition for anyone to be able to tolerate. also, heroin must be 'cooked' to inject it. (i know that much about it, having been a musician for over 35 years i have witnessed its use enough times to turn me off of it) and the cooking of LSD would actually destroy the properties that cause the high.

just say 'bugger off, loser'
;)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 05:31:37 PM »

I fail to see what is so "stupid" about this story . . .

I think LL was referring to the mention of a cure, which there is none.
LightLizard

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 06:00:47 PM »

i was, sluff, thanks. the news story stated that ms cole's infection was in a 'negative' phase, which made it likely that she could be cured. pure B/S.
it also said that she probably aquired the virus years ago when she was addicted to LSD, (and heroin) again, pure B/S. LSD is not addictive. this was on a mainstream news channel and it was definitly stupid.
you would think that there would be an effort at least, to pass along reliable information.
karen547

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 08:53:31 PM »

I dont wanna say much more , but I know a person who has HEP C from injecting lsd, so it is possible.
annabanana

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 06:12:06 AM »

Too bad this opportunity was lost to inform people about HCV. I think it could've helped a lot of people, like what Rookiegirl is doing with her article about kidney disease. Last year when my husband was diagnosed with HCV, we knew nothing about it. Likewise with CKD.   

caregiver to Randy:
HepC and stage 4 ckd
1 kidney removed (cancer)Aug07
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »