I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 04:22:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Getting sick on hemo
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting sick on hemo  (Read 7418 times)
7piglets

Me and the boys

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2008, 03:30:44 PM »

Thanks everyone maybe then it is heparin..
I am going to go tomorrow and ask them to write everything down from what meds are being given . to flow rate to single use filter or not.. Maybe I can post here and you guys can help me figure it out..
My concern is when I first started hemo a couple of months ago this didnt happen they they must have switched something that I am having a reaction too and I can't believe no one has a concern about it and once again I have to take the iniative to try and figure out how to fix
Kitsune

Sometimes the dragon wins.

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 12:13:24 PM »

HI I throw up 10-15 mins every time after I get hooked up to hemo. They dont take out any fluid on me since I never gain ..I cant take it anymore my whole rest of day is shot because of how sick I feel.. I just dont want to go anymore...Also, I have skipped fridays 3 weeks in a row and my numbers still are good is anyone on just 2 days a week?? Is it possible.???

I'm on 2 days a week due to the the fact that my labs are excellent and I still make urine adequately. Also when I was on 3 day a week hemo, I was always sick, weak, tired and bloated. They were overdialyzing me!! The idiot doctor (who read me someone else's charts last week) still claimed for about 6 months after that that I needed one more day a week (could it be for the extra smackers and not anything else?). So do your research and don't let the neph (who goes by his precious little textbooks) tell that you don't know your own body, because you most certainly do.

"Run your mouth when I'm not around
It's easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
Can you hear the violins playing your song?
Those same friends tell me your every word"- Pantera "Walk" (1991)
7piglets

Me and the boys

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 12:36:07 PM »

Kitsune
thanks I really think it is the 3 days or too long a time that is doing it to me..at first I felt fine but now even on my off days I dont feel right ..I make adequate urine also and I never gain any fluids my labs have been great (and that was with missing a few fridays in a row which means the 2 days would most likely be good) I am still waiting to hear from dr hopefully he will be there on Wed.

As for everything else..I found out yes I get heparin in beggining but they havent changed the type so it really can't be reaction since the first few months I was ok with it.. I also found out the filter is a one time use filter and my rate is 200 at first then they move it to 400 (so could it be the rate change that is making me sick??)  WEll I have come to conclusion I should have gone to medical school so I could be my own dr ..:)
qwerty

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 02:45:35 PM »

Heparin is given 3-5 min prior to hooking you up for treatment. Then you may be getting an hourly maintenance dose. Heparin is in 2 forms- Pork and Beef. My clinic only uses Pork as we found too many people had allergic reactions to the beef type. Also the Heparin they use post dialysis in the cath is a "dwell" and should be limited to only the amount to fill that cath line to keep it from clotting and NOT into your system. If they are using reuse then it could be they are not ensuring all the Renalin is cleared from the dialyzer. My clinic uses dry packs so we dont have that issue but I do have patients who are sensitive to dry packs and we rinse 1-2 liters of saline through them prior to putting you on. If your concerned it may be the heparin they can pre-treat your dialyzer with heparin just before recirculation and when they dump the prime most is out of the dialzyer by then and we dont give them pre or maintenance heparin. I do this frequently with my catheter patients.  I have patients who become nauseated soon as we hook them up and usually I have Phenergan IV ready for them which seems to relieve most of it and does help them relax abit. Also if itching is accompanied then we give IV Benedryl. I have a couple that no matter what I give them they still feel ill soon as the machine is up and running. Remember also that it's 250-300ml of blood being outside of your body almost immediately and takes time to adjust to that sudden change. 
7piglets

Me and the boys

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2008, 04:18:01 PM »

gwerty
thanks but as I posted I dont think it is the heparin since this is a new thing and did not happen when I first began dialysis. It is definately not anxiety and as I mentioned above they use only one time
I think it has to do with rate but again I still have not spoken to the dr so I have no idea really
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2008, 08:49:08 PM »

7 piglets

with  the  pump  speed/rate,why  not  try  gradual  increases  in  the  rate  every  15/30  minutes,see  how  you  feel  ,  the  higher  the  rate  the  better  the  clearance  of  toxins  wil  be

if  at  any  time  you  get  pain  in  your fistula / catheter  usually  an  indication  your  runing  to  fast
hope  you  figure  it  out.

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
7piglets

Me and the boys

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2008, 09:38:27 PM »

Ang
thank you ..i will definately ask them on Wed.. heck at this point I will try anything .:)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »