I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 03:34:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  No Period After PD Surgery
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Period After PD Surgery  (Read 4860 times)
ulrika

« on: July 10, 2006, 05:15:51 PM »

Has anyone else here experienced this "problem"?
Sandras had her last period right before she had her surgery for the pd catheter on Apr. 25th.
Since then there has not been the slightest sign of the monthly visitor.
It is weird, because we have not heard of that as being a side effect. The team at the clinic has no answer either. She has always been regular before.
We have been kidding her, asking if she is sure nothing happened in the surgery, while she was under anesthesia.
She is making an appointment with a gynecologist.
She says that it is a "problem" she can live with, as long as she knows it's nothing serious. ;)

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 07:17:37 PM »

Has anyone else here experienced this "problem"?
Sandras had her last period right before she had her surgery for the pd catheter on Apr. 25th.
Since then there has not been the slightest sign of the monthly visitor.
It is weird, because we have not heard of that as being a side effect. The team at the clinic has no answer either. She has always been regular before.
We have been kidding her, asking if she is sure nothing happened in the surgery, while she was under anesthesia.
She is making an appointment with a gynecologist.
She says that it is a "problem" she can live with, as long as she knows it's nothing serious. ;)
Is her hemoglobin fine? With any surgery some blood can be lost. But she should have had one by now. The Gyno is a good idea. Very good idea.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
ulrika

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 07:37:13 PM »

Her hemoglobin is fine. Actually, the doctor is surprised it has stayed that good. He was sure she would have had to start on Epo by now. Sandra is weird, she is the opposite from everything that is expected ::)

Btw Angie, I have visited your great site several times. You have collected lots of useful info there.
It seems as though you, and Sandra started out with the same problem, for which you both now are suffering the consequences. As a mother it is very difficult to know that all this could have been prevented if the doctors' had listened to me from the start.
Hugs, Christina

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 09:05:01 PM »

Her hemoglobin is fine. Actually, the doctor is surprised it has stayed that good. He was sure she would have had to start on Epo by now. Sandra is weird, she is the opposite from everything that is expected ::)

Btw Angie, I have visited your great site several times. You have collected lots of useful info there.
It seems as though you, and Sandra started out with the same problem, for which you both now are suffering the consequences. As a mother it is very difficult to know that all this could have been prevented if the doctors had listened to me from the start.
Hugs, Christina
Actually my memory is not so good of my childhood and my mom corrected me about a few things. I guess when I was little the docs would give me antibiotics but then when I would get blood tests nothing would show up because all the infection would be gone by then. It wasn't until I was 9 and went to a pediatrician (sp?) and he did a full physical and noticed my eye sight and said I was nearly blind in one eye and sent me to the eye doc who thought I had a brain tumor and then went to the hospital and ended up in ICU. 9 years of everything backing up into the kidneys from the bladder leading to numerous infections caused my kidney failure and thus my blood pressure caused the pressure to be so high it was causing my eye sight to be effected.

Anyway, sorry to take this off topic. To bring it back on .. I know that periods can be thrown off my out health but I have never heard of it stopping for months like that.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 01:13:25 AM »

the first month after my pd surgery the weirdest thing happend,  that is when i was doing my exchanges manually,  my bag was red, eww,  i didnt bleed like a normal period but i did have a couple of red bags.  The next month, there it was just as normal as can be.  I think your body needs to adjust, thats all.

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 01:17:56 AM »

actually that reminds me ... While on PD I didn't have normal periods for like the last year. Don't know why. But I would have red bags sometimes and just spotting.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 11:10:07 PM »

I hardly ever got my period while on PD. I was anaemic though and my iron was low. It has been quite irregular up until the last 3 or more months. I started PD end of 2003 and was on it for 18 months. Now on hemo. Im not really bothered if I dont get it, damn annoying things, but I do want kids one day.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 01:23:20 AM »

I hardly ever got my period while on PD. I was anaemic though and my iron was low. It has been quite irregular up until the last 3 or more months. I started PD end of 2003 and was on it for 18 months. Now on hemo. Im not really bothered if I dont get it, damn annoying things, but I do want kids one day.
Ya it would have been bad to get pregnant on PD anyway. No where for the kid to grow..

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 06:07:25 AM »

Not that I'm on PD but I'm on nocturnal haemo and I have not  had my thingie for about a year.
But while on dialysis I did fall pregnant,unexpectedly, but it was ectopic (implanted in the fallopian tube)and it burst the tube and I hemorrhaged, gee that was fun times.
So can't see me having kids, always wanted them, but I think it will be too hard to do.Does anybody know of anybody that has had a baby while they have been on dialysis?

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Panda_9

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 06:17:01 AM »

Im on nocturnal as well and there is no way i could have kids now, unless my partner was prepared to give up work and look after them full time, which I dont want. PD would of made it a bit easier seen as you arent strapped to a machine like on hemo. At least on a PD cycler you can disconnect during the dwell phase. I have heard of people having kids on dialysis but I dont think its all that common. It does affect your hormones too so I would imagine it wouldnt be as easy to conceive.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 03:19:45 PM »

ya but think of this .. how can you grow a baby in your tummy if you are on PD? You have a peritoneum full of fluid taking up the space limiting the space for the baby to grow in?

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 09:31:49 PM »

Makes alot of sense doesnt it? I really wouldnt have a clue, but I wouldnt be wanting a baby in there as well as 3 litres of fluid!
deej

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 01:00:15 PM »

Although I myself am already past the childbaring age and already have two beautiful daughters, my doctors said that women canīt get pregnant on dialysis. At least thatīs the policy down here. I know some women who have adopted but nobody who ever had her own children.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave
safely in a well preserved body, but rather
to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
"...holy shit...what a ride!"
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 09:59:37 PM »

at least we can have kids once we get a transplant (I just hope I eventually get another one before I am too old)  :-\

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 04:04:30 AM »

It is possible to get pregnant on PD, but I dont think its wise. Hemo might be a different story. I have heard of it happening. I would like to have kids if the transplant goes well, but if there is any chance it could jeopardise the kidney well ill just have to look at different options.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 03:58:30 PM »

I know you can have kids once you get a transplant but it must be a whole year after at least since the transplanted kidney gets placed in front.

As for no period .. well if you get no period .. you get no kids.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 10:31:34 PM »

I started my periods while on PD... the pediatric nephologist didn't know what was causing the bloody bags.. and didn't think that it was what it was... a gynocologist had to draw him a picture.. *LOL*  I was one of the older kids on the ward at the time.. so I guess he just wasn't used to teenaged girls on PD... *L*

My periods are weird now.. but then, they pretty much always were.. my mom had weird periods when she was my age too.. she once went 7 months without one.. and she had 2 kids... I figure my weird ones are genetics... I can go 2 or 3 months without one... I figure it's screwy hormones... and all will figure itself out after transplant...

As for having kids on dialysis.. I think it's frowned upon.. I know some who had kids after transplant... doctors here won't give you the green light to try until at least 2 years after transplant.. I know this because I asked after my last one.. I was engaged at the time.. so was hoping on having kids at some point in the future... I still would like at least one.. and I figure I've got 12 years till I'm too old...

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 02:18:38 PM »

I started my periods while on PD... the pediatric nephologist didn't know what was causing the bloody bags.. and didn't think that it was what it was... a gynocologist had to draw him a picture.. *LOL*  I was one of the older kids on the ward at the time.. so I guess he just wasn't used to teenaged girls on PD... *L*

My periods are weird now.. but then, they pretty much always were.. my mom had weird periods when she was my age too.. she once went 7 months without one.. and she had 2 kids... I figure my weird ones are genetics... I can go 2 or 3 months without one... I figure it's screwy hormones... and all will figure itself out after transplant...

As for having kids on dialysis.. I think it's frowned upon.. I know some who had kids after transplant... doctors here won't give you the green light to try until at least 2 years after transplant.. I know this because I asked after my last one.. I was engaged at the time.. so was hoping on having kids at some point in the future... I still would like at least one.. and I figure I've got 12 years till I'm too old...
Ya you are  younger than me by 4 years. I forget what doctor told me what the blood PD bags were caused from but it was someone in Toronto. It is amazing how many logical things doctors don't think about. This is why our input DOES matter.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »