I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:28:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I read that appetite changes.. What all ways?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I read that appetite changes.. What all ways?  (Read 7480 times)
Kitsune

Sometimes the dragon wins.

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 11:08:09 AM »

jbeany,

That's because we are taught as children that the doctors and nurses know what's best for us and that if we dare "step a toe out of line", we are "noncompliant patients" and it's our fault if anything happens to us.  On the other hand, we can't win being "good little patients" either, because if we do let these yayhoos take extra fluid off us and we don't need it and then if our blood pressure goes up or we crash, puke, or faint, it's "Oh, she didn't watch her fluid, it's not OUR fault!!"

At first, the techs at my center told me what my UF goals were and as a new patient, I went along with it because I didn't know any better, and lo and behold my blood pressure went up as I crashed, puked, and fainted at least once per treatment.

Those idiots told me it was due to fluid gain and took even more fluid off me, when I make adequate urine and told them as such!! Finally, when it kept happening, it dawned on me to go do research and found out that they shouldn't be taking anything off me! If I had kept letting them take fluid off me, I would probably have no urinary function left, and be on fluid restriction like most of those people there.

Now, I tell THEM what my goals are and make sure they do what they are told. It's my body, not theirs and they don't know what's going on inside me, they have no right to tell me that I have fluid on me when I don't.

"Run your mouth when I'm not around
It's easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
Can you hear the violins playing your song?
Those same friends tell me your every word"- Pantera "Walk" (1991)
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 11:47:13 AM »

I control my dry weight and don't follow the diet very religiously unless something gets out of whack. I do limit some foods but I don't avoid anything entirely.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Trikkechickk

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 01:52:39 PM »

My Davita Center listens very carefully to me re my dry weight.  If I tell them I am having cramps (usually at night - at home) or having a headache after dialysis, we increase my dry weight.  I have been on dialysis for 3 weeks, so there is some adjusting being made as I continue w/dialysis.  Other than that, I am problem free.
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 09:37:28 AM »

I think I could cheerfully kill someone if my appetite would only change.  I will happily eat anything and everything.  Even when I was on hemo for 3 months, I never had a loss of appetite.  The only thing I've noticed is that after I eat the smell of the food is annoying to me, but never before I eat.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2008, 09:56:49 AM »

That happens to me,too.  After I eat the smell of the food bothers me.  I usually shove the plate away.  When I cook, I often will not eat what I made.  The smell gets to me then, too.

But then I usually am eating whatever I want to eat.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 05:47:13 AM »

Food was "poison" to me pre-dialysis and now I enjoy eating again, of course need to watch so no more gain in case I decide on transplant, I have to force eating any red meat and dislike most protein and I do eat anything I want even if it's just a bite like spagetti sauce which I love.  As long as my numbers keep being good I'm going to follow what I'm doing.  Davita and I work together on my dry weight as they are not inside my body.  ND on the other hand had sucked me dry all the time and I passed out and crashed.  My only problem is since starting sensipar I have a stomach ache in the evening...I take it with the evening meal and then feel as if I ""overate"" all day.  Anyone else with this?
Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 06:35:23 AM »

I crave protein all the time.  Weird, huh?  Especially right after a dialysis session.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 11:59:54 AM »

i had no appetite at all the first part of this year. but i attribute it to what was going on at the time. major surgery, blood clots, broken foot. who would want to eat let alone cook. the up side was i've lost 25 pounds (yea) now while i don't want to eat much, i crave things i shouldn't eat and i don't want to put the weight back on. in fact i'd like to loose 25 to 35 more. i'm sure dialysis has something to do with it, but i don't think it's everything. but then i'm just plain weird.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 05:00:29 PM »

My appetite is back with a vengeance since I started dialysis and everything smells, tastes good.  Now I have to regain my usual diligence about not gaining weight.  My blood pressure has also dropped dramatically.  I'm down to only one BP med (used to take 5).

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »