I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:30:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  New Jersey Organ Donation
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Jersey Organ Donation  (Read 1972 times)
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« on: July 23, 2008, 10:45:14 AM »

Jul 23, 6:41 AM (ET)

By TOM HESTER Jr.

(AP) Acting New Jersey Gov. Richard J. Codey, center, holds up a bill he signed at Saint Barnabas...

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - In five years, New Jersey residents seeking driver's licenses will have to decide whether they want to become organ donors under a new first-of-its kind law.

The names of residents who want to be organ donors will be maintained in a state registry, while those who decide against organ donation will have to acknowledge reviewing information about it.

"Ultimately, we want to move this important conversation out of the emergency room, where illness and injury already create a profound burden, and into the living room, where a thoughtful and deliberate decision can be reached without the pain of loss looming on the horizon," said Acting Gov. Richard J. Codey, who signed the bill into law Tuesday. Codey was filling in for Gov. Jon S. Corzine, who was in Israel.

Howard M. Nathan, president and CEO of the Gift of Life Donor Program, has said New Jersey would be the first state to impose such requirements.

The state has five years to get the program up and running. People who currently have licenses won't have to make their decision until they apply for a renewal. Individuals who aren't ready to decide may designate a decision-maker on their behalf.

The law, known as the New Jersey Hero Act, also makes the state the first to incorporate mandatory organ donation education into the high school curriculum, beginning with the 2009-10 school year.

At the collegiate level, institutions of higher education will be required to provide information on New Jersey's organ donor policies through student health services.

"We're raising the dialogue about organ donation and ensuring that New Jerseyans talk to their loved ones about the possibility of becoming a donor," said Sen. Joseph Vitale, a bill sponsor.

Cathleen Lewis, spokeswoman for the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, said about 1.75 million New Jersey residents have checked the organ donation box when applying for either a license or an identification card. That's 24.5 percent of the state's licenses and ID cards.

About 99,000 people in the United States await organ donations, according to the United Network for Organ Sharing, including 3,050 in New Jersey.

Since 1995, more than 85,000 Americans have died waiting for an organ, including nearly 1,900 New Jerseyans, according to the network.

A recent national report card prepared by the educational group Donate Life America shows a 10 percent increase in donor designations over the last 18 months, bringing the total number of registered donors in the United States to nearly 70 million.

According to the group, 35 percent of licensed drivers and ID card holders have committed themselves to donation through a state registry or motor vehicle department.

"By increasing outreach and education, all New Jerseyans will be able to make better-informed decisions regarding organ and tissue donation," Assemblyman John F. McKeon said. "Ensuring every resident knows the vital importance of organ donation will make it easier for many more people to take the simple but truly heroic step that can help save a life."

---

On the Net:

United Network for Organ Sharing: http://www.unos.org

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:43:01 AM »

Five years?  What the heck is taking them so long?  I've had the pink dot on my CA license for years.  Now they just ask and put you on a list at Donate Life.  My kidneys may be shot, but my liver, heart, skin, bones, spleen, whatever are all in thoroughly good working condition
keith

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 09:29:22 PM »

Jul 23, 6:41 AM (ET)

By TOM HESTER Jr.

(AP) Acting New Jersey Gov. Richard J. Codey, center, holds up a bill he signed at Saint Barnabas...

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - In five years, New Jersey residents seeking driver's licenses will have to decide whether they want to become organ donors under a new first-of-its kind law.

The names of residents who want to be organ donors will be maintained in a state registry, while those who decide against organ donation will have to acknowledge reviewing information about it.

"Ultimately, we want to move this important conversation out of the emergency room, where illness and injury already create a profound burden, and into the living room, where a thoughtful and deliberate decision can be reached without the pain of loss looming on the horizon," said Acting Gov. Richard J. Codey, who signed the bill into law Tuesday. Codey was filling in for Gov. Jon S. Corzine, who was in Israel.

Howard M. Nathan, president and CEO of the Gift of Life Donor Program, has said New Jersey would be the first state to impose such requirements.

The state has five years to get the program up and running. People who currently have licenses won't have to make their decision until they apply for a renewal. Individuals who aren't ready to decide may designate a decision-maker on their behalf.

The law, known as the New Jersey Hero Act, also makes the state the first to incorporate mandatory organ donation education into the high school curriculum, beginning with the 2009-10 school year.

At the collegiate level, institutions of higher education will be required to provide information on New Jersey's organ donor policies through student health services.

"We're raising the dialogue about organ donation and ensuring that New Jerseyans talk to their loved ones about the possibility of becoming a donor," said Sen. Joseph Vitale, a bill sponsor.

Cathleen Lewis, spokeswoman for the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, said about 1.75 million New Jersey residents have checked the organ donation box when applying for either a license or an identification card. That's 24.5 percent of the state's licenses and ID cards.

About 99,000 people in the United States await organ donations, according to the United Network for Organ Sharing, including 3,050 in New Jersey.

Since 1995, more than 85,000 Americans have died waiting for an organ, including nearly 1,900 New Jerseyans, according to the network.

A recent national report card prepared by the educational group Donate Life America shows a 10 percent increase in donor designations over the last 18 months, bringing the total number of registered donors in the United States to nearly 70 million.

According to the group, 35 percent of licensed drivers and ID card holders have committed themselves to donation through a state registry or motor vehicle department.

"By increasing outreach and education, all New Jerseyans will be able to make better-informed decisions regarding organ and tissue donation," Assemblyman John F. McKeon said. "Ensuring every resident knows the vital importance of organ donation will make it easier for many more people to take the simple but truly heroic step that can help save a life."

---

On the Net:

United Network for Organ Sharing: http://www.unos.org

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/

they have been doing this in Delaware for almost 2yrs now

Life ain't Life wit out Me!!! U Heard Me  
Transplanted on 12-6-2007 on dialysis7+yrs
Started Dover dialysis support group. A group for patients, familyand friends.
NOW RUN-Tel-Dat
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 10:30:01 PM »

Five years?  What the heck is taking them so long?  I've had the pink dot on my CA license for years.  Now they just ask and put you on a list at Donate Life.  My kidneys may be shot, but my liver, heart, skin, bones, spleen, whatever are all in thoroughly good working condition

yes, but if you were to fall off the face of the earth tomorrow (please don't) your family would still have to authorize any donation and could choose not to, regardless of what you wanted.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »