I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:26:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Chinese Traditional Medicine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Traditional Medicine  (Read 1934 times)
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« on: July 13, 2008, 10:25:58 AM »

For those who believe in the effectiveness of traditional Chinese medicine and its methods, such as acupuncture, I wonder how it operates on patients with a renal graft?  Since the theory behind acupuncture is that it regulates the flow of 'chi' through the body by stimulating certain strategic points in the nervous system, how does it address the problem that in a transplant patient, the kidney is no longer in the same place as the traditional theories of Chinese medicine assume?
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 11:28:57 AM »

One of our friends is an acupuncturist.  He says that partly what acupuncture is doing is stimulating your body to turn on processes that you can't voluntarily control - e.g. the release of pain-killing endorphins.  Unfortunately he lives a few states away and I haven't tried it myself.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »